Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Clayburn Moore
Producer
Producer

My years at DST

Hello Forum Members!
I've been away art directing and sculpting for DST for the past several years as some of you may know. I'd like to talk about those projects for DST in some upcoming threads. I'll post a little about how a piece I sculpted came about, the sculpting process and anything else that might come up.

The art directing: I was lucky enough to work with some very talented people while at DST. Phil Ramirez, Sam Greenwell, Mat Brouillard and Alejandro Periera were the majority. For the past two years, Mat and Alejandro and I made up our "team" at DST. I mostly art directed them on Marvel, but Alejandro also did a Wonder Woman and possibly another non Marvel piece or two and Mat did the DC Jigsaw Gallery pvc. Both Mat and Alejandro worked on both Gallery and Premier projects and both are a pleasure to work with. Really good guys and talented professionals. Alejandro is an incredible sculptor and is simply a master of ZBrush. His work is fantastic and we learned a lot from working together. And Mat Brouillard did his first digital sculpture ever for DST, which I art directed. It was Iceman and he knocked it out of the park. Another favorite is the Old Man Logan Premier he did.

It seems like every piece Alejandro did was a masterwork. The man is amazing.

For my work, we started out with Chuck (Terceira), the head of DST, suggesting to our talented concept artists (usually Caesar Antomattei, Nelson Ascensio and Uriel Caton) a character to thumbnail. Usually several, in fact. Often I'd suggest an approach or give them some comic art reference and a direction. The artist would give us several quick sketch ideas and I'd suggest what worked and what didn't and we'd go from there until it was nailed down. Then the artist would draw up the final concept to submit to Marvel.

I was always biased toward designing the poses for the pieces I sculpted, so I often worked up a thumbnail in 3-D, generally at 6" height and then Caesar (usually) would draw it up in 2-D for submission to Marvel. I designed some of the DC BTAS pieces that way, too. Sometimes I worked from an existing image, such as Hela from the cover of Thor #186. I usually chose what characters I worked on unless Chuck had an idea for something like the Gwenpool piece that he thought I should take on.

Okay, I think that gives you all a fair idea of how things worked. Next time, hopefully a few days from now, I'll post photos of the beginning of a piece and write a bit about it.
Clayburn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I look forward to this. It is always interesting.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Exciting! Great to hear from you Clay - can't wait to see what is coming!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Great to have you back. Looking forward to updates.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

DST has been knocking these statues out of the park
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I love learning about the process. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

What a pleasant surprise! Thanks Clay... Looking forward to seeing more posts.
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
iceprince_x
Deadman

Great post! Looking forward of your future posts! Also I hope Hela coming back in-order... its a great looking piece
iceprince_x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Alex Pereira
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayburn Moore View Post
Hello Forum Members!
I've been away art directing and sculpting for DST for the past several years as some of you may know. I'd like to talk about those projects for DST in some upcoming threads. I'll post a little about how a piece I sculpted came about, the sculpting process and anything else that might come up.

The art directing: I was lucky enough to work with some very talented people while at DST. Phil Ramirez, Sam Greenwell, Mat Brouillard and Alejandro Periera were the majority. For the past two years, Mat and Alejandro and I made up our "team" at DST. I mostly art directed them on Marvel, but Alejandro also did a Wonder Woman and possibly another non Marvel piece or two and Mat did the DC Jigsaw Gallery pvc. Both Mat and Alejandro worked on both Gallery and Premier projects and both are a pleasure to work with. Really good guys and talented professionals. Alejandro is an incredible sculptor and is simply a master of ZBrush. His work is fantastic and we learned a lot from working together. And Mat Brouillard did his first digital sculpture ever for DST, which I art directed. It was Iceman and he knocked it out of the park. Another favorite is the Old Man Logan Premier he did.

It seems like every piece Alejandro did was a masterwork. The man is amazing.

For my work, we started out with Chuck (Terceira), the head of DST, suggesting to our talented concept artists (usually Caesar Antomattei, Nelson Ascensio and Uriel Caton) a character to thumbnail. Usually several, in fact. Often I'd suggest an approach or give them some comic art reference and a direction. The artist would give us several quick sketch ideas and I'd suggest what worked and what didn't and we'd go from there until it was nailed down. Then the artist would draw up the final concept to submit to Marvel.

I was always biased toward designing the poses for the pieces I sculpted, so I often worked up a thumbnail in 3-D, generally at 6" height and then Caesar (usually) would draw it up in 2-D for submission to Marvel. I designed some of the DC BTAS pieces that way, too. Sometimes I worked from an existing image, such as Hela from the cover of Thor #186. I usually chose what characters I worked on unless Chuck had an idea for something like the Gwenpool piece that he thought I should take on.

Okay, I think that gives you all a fair idea of how things worked. Next time, hopefully a few days from now, I'll post photos of the beginning of a piece and write a bit about it.
Great post my friend!
Thank you for your kind words,knowledge and passion for this art.As you know you are my favorite Art Director.It is always a pleasure to work with you.
Look forward To seeing more posts ...

Alex Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:55 AM   #10
French Cancan
Deadman

As someone who doesn't use Facebook, it is good news to be able to follow the development of a project on this forum.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote