Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-08-2022, 07:21 AM   #161
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm wondering if we're already at that ceiling where the community is rejecting these statues because of price. Reading your experiences and seeing so many pieces (not just from JND) stagnate on the retailers shelves is quite telling.

Queen Studios has released about 4 or 5 pieces that I would have sworn would sell out in under a week (being conservative) - and in all cases they're still easily available weeks later.

If I was in the statue business or a retailer, I'd be concerned.
Price and possible economic reasons are now starting to have an impact for many collectors. Particularly when you add in postage costs which in some instances the cost of the statue, particularly P1
FETTFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #162
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETTFAN View Post
Price and possible economic reasons are now starting to have an impact for many collectors. Particularly when you add in postage costs which in some instances the cost of the statue, particularly P1
I can't see this situation being sustainable for statue makers. It won't be whether their products are good or bad, they just won't be affordable - full stop.

I think Queen Studios is making a good strategic move going into 1:6 figures, but I can see Prime1 just plodding on in a typical Japanese way, with their head in the sand.

If JND raise their prices any higher I'm definitely out from buying their products. I just can't justify spending over $4K on a statue (regardless of scale) - and that includes shipping and import charges.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #163
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
I can't see this situation being sustainable for statue makers. It won't be whether their products are good or bad, they just won't be affordable - full stop.

I think Queen Studios is making a good strategic move going into 1:6 figures, but I can see Prime1 just plodding on in a typical Japanese way, with their head in the sand.

If JND raise their prices any higher I'm definitely out from buying their products. I just can't justify spending over $4K on a statue (regardless of scale) - and that includes shipping and import charges.
“We’re in the endgame now.”

Between supply issues, fuel and gas prices skyrocketing, inflation out of control, prices will continue to surge up to the point where the collecting “bubble” many of us predicted bursting a few years ago does indeed burst.

I think we’re almost there.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #164
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
?We?re in the endgame now.?

Between supply issues, fuel and gas prices skyrocketing, inflation out of control, prices will continue to surge up to the point where the collecting ?bubble? many of us predicted bursting a few years ago does indeed burst.

I think we?re almost there.
There could be a collectible bubble, but I don't think it will have any impact on statues if there is one to pop. Our community is too niche compared to comics or sports cards for example. Statues rarely go up in value generally anyways with all the fees that go along with selling. Even during the last recession, it had no impact on comics plummeting, so I won't hold my breath on that happening during this next one.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:21 PM   #165
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

You may be right. I remember when the comic books and sports cards bubble burst. Sports card collecting is quite different nowadays than it was back then, comics are too. I don’t collect current sports players, but I still have quite a collection of Michael Jordan and Chicago Bulls pieces and still pick up some of both here and there.

I agree with you we are headed towards another recession unfortunately.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #166
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
You may be right. I remember when the comic books and sports cards bubble burst. Sports card collecting is quite different nowadays than it was back then, comics are too. I don?t collect current sports players, but I still have quite a collection of Michael Jordan and Chicago Bulls pieces and still pick up some of both here and there.

I agree with you we are headed towards another recession unfortunately.
the only way comics or sports collectibles will plummet is if the big time investors that got into these markets during COVID decide to dump them. I feel a lot of investors got into comics as a hedge. That would set off a chain reaction if they do though. I think this economy needs a recession with the amount of funny money printed in the last few years, in the US anyways.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:55 AM   #167
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
There could be a collectible bubble, but I don't think it will have any impact on statues if there is one to pop. Our community is too niche compared to comics or sports cards for example. Statues rarely go up in value generally anyways with all the fees that go along with selling. Even during the last recession, it had no impact on comics plummeting, so I won't hold my breath on that happening during this next one.
I think there will be an impact, just perhaps not in the way that we would hope / expect. I don't expect prices to drop, I expect demand (and therefore supply) to drop. I see this hitting the so called "high end" statues way more than the lower grade producers - at least at first.

Some companies will diversify into other products (e.g. Queen Studios moving into 1:6) - and hard line companies, who fail to read the market, simply going under.

Another outcome, which could reduce prices, is to increase (significantly) the ES - economies of scale - but, as already has been pointed out - we're a niche hobby, I don't believe the demographics support 100,000's of ES.....

So, without being too gloomy, I anticipate a collapse in the sector - starting with the super pricey stuff.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #168
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
I think there will be an impact, just perhaps not in the way that we would hope / expect. I don't expect prices to drop, I expect demand (and therefore supply) to drop. I see this hitting the do called "high end" statues way more than the lower grade producers - at least at first.

Some companies will diversify into other products (e.g. Queen Studios moving into 1:6) - and hard line companies, who fail to read the market, simply going under.

Another outcome, which could reduce prices, is to increase (significantly) the ES - economies of scale - but, as already has been pointed out - we're a niche hobby, I don't believe the demographics support 100,000's of ES.....

So, without being too gloomy, I anticipate a collapse in the sector - starting with the super pricey stuff.
It doesn't bother me if demand in statues drop, but I hope your right and we see an affect on comics/sports collectibles as I'm trying to go after my some of my grail comics this year.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:28 AM   #169
Shreiko
Frackin!

This piece is expensive as hell but I made the commitment and jumped on it.
Shreiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:59 AM   #170
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Pics from the exhibition.

cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote