Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #1641
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzplz View Post
Here's a quick shot of the Saloon Girl. Yes it's unsigned, until tomorrow lol

Looks nice! I wonder, is the paper the same higher quality art paper the normal prints are done on? Or is it that cardstock type paper? I'd almost prefer mine to be unsigned, because all the clutter on the bottom is already too much going on.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #1642
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
500 copies? Oh man, what a shame! 250 is bad enough on some of the newer prints. 500 is nothing short of a travesty. I love this print and was planning on buying at least 3 copies. If it really has an edition size of 500, then I am passing altogether. I just cant put my support behind such a money grab, regardless of how much I like the print.

What a bummer!

Why is it money grabbing? They are businesses after all and not just there for our enjoyment. If you're buying for investment then just go for the lower print runs.

Bigger runs means more people get to enjoy the artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Lip View Post
how about buying it because you like the art?
Ditto
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #1643
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

Well on the 2nd day of the Las Vegas expo, I did what I shouldn't have and looked a 2nd time at their Marvel/DC portfolio. Painful! I was having such a hard time stopping! lol

Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Supergirl (the big headshot with yellow background), Storm, Starfire, Wonder Woman (the JLA #7 cover). SO MANY! I bought a couple extras to sell to help make the pain not so drastic. They'll be going up on ebay this week hopefully lol

Now I have to find out if I'm sleeping on the couch tonight cause of how much I spent
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #1644
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Just spotted this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-TURN...item35c044e2b8

Good price and rare print - figured someone here would appreciate the heads up.
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #1645
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzplz View Post
Well on the 2nd day of the Las Vegas expo, I did what I shouldn't have and looked a 2nd time at their Marvel/DC portfolio. Painful! I was having such a hard time stopping! lol

Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Supergirl (the big headshot with yellow background), Storm, Starfire, Wonder Woman (the JLA #7 cover). SO MANY! I bought a couple extras to sell to help make the pain not so drastic. They'll be going up on ebay this week hopefully lol

Now I have to find out if I'm sleeping on the couch tonight cause of how much I spent
Hey toyzplz,
so do aspen sell the marvel and DC prints at the cons? How much were they out of interest if you dont mind me asking? I was particularly interested in some of the supergirl /wolverine prints and wanted to email aspen direct to see what they would sell them for direct rather than having to go through ebay so that'd be handy to know, thanks.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1646
Viper2005
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post
Just spotted this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-TURN...item35c044e2b8

Good price and rare print - figured someone here would appreciate the heads up.
Holy smokes that's a really cheap price for that print... It goes for twice that on the Aspen auctions!
Viper2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #1647
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Lip View Post
how about buying it because you like the art?
How about letting people decide for themselves...regardless of what the reason may be.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1648
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
How about letting people decide for themselves...regardless of what the reason may be.
Hot day in California; some of you in a big glass of ice? Delicious.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #1649
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptedscot View Post

I can understand that some peeps like a lower ES but to only collect for that reason, I've never been able to understand that.
This is just my opinion of course.
I personally collect the things I enjoy, the beauty of the Art drawn and I can appreciate it as is. I couldn't care less if there were 5 copies or 5000 as I am not considering what the re-sale value will be x years down the line. If their value appreciates, fine. If they depreciate, that's fine too cos I don't consider them investments, in the banking sense of the word.
I buy them because I adore the work they have created and I can see all the hard work that has gone into them, they are an investment in that way for me, so I can look at them in awe of the talent I don't have .

I haven't seen a single person on this forum state that they only collect prints for the edition size alone. Maybe I am wrong but I couldn't find anyone on this forum making such a statement. Releasing too large an edition size does destroy any chance a particular print has at being valuable and there are a LOT of people out there that factor value into their collecting hobbies. Its actually a fairly easy thing to understand, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. The vast majority of collectors factor value into their purchases. All one has to do is look at where the markets are today to see that value has become one of the driving factors in all collecting markets.

As for myself, I have always been attracted to rare items and not because they are valuable. I am attracted to rare items because they are rare. Its really that simple. Value plays a very small role in regards to my collecting hobbies, with coins and precious metals being the exceptions. In regards to prints, I have no interest in open edition prints, regardless of whether or not I like the artwork. I only collect limited edition prints and I only collect limited prints that are released with proper edition sizes. Its that simple. Some people understand it and some don't. I guess that's life.

Artwork and collecting - You really cant get more subjective. People should remember that when discussing these topics.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1650
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrog View Post
Why is it money grabbing? They are businesses after all and not just there for our enjoyment. If you're buying for investment then just go for the lower print runs.

Bigger runs means more people get to enjoy the artwork.
Why is it money grabbing? Hmm?

Lets look at the edition sizes for the past Lady Mechanika prints (no particular order).

LM VIP print - Edition Size 25
Lady Mechanika #0 print - Edition size 100
LM #0 NYCC - Edition Size 100
LM #0 Blue Rainbow - Edition Size 100
LM #1 LBCC - Edition Size 100
LM #1 LBCC Campbell - Edition Size 100
LM #2 C2E2 - Edition Size 100
LM Wondercon - Edition Size 150
LM Emerald City Print - Edition size 100
LM 2010 SDCC - Edition Size 75
LM 2011 Dragon Con - Edition Size 100
LM 2011 Arizona CC - Edition Size 50
LM 2011 SDCC - Edition Size 100
LM 2011 NYCC - Edition Size 75
LM #2 Outlaw Ed. - Edition Size 200
LM 2012 Comikaze - Edition Size 150

Then in the last couple of weeks we have had

LM 2012 Las Vegas Sepia - Edition size 250
LM 2012 Saloon print - Edition Size 500

Sorry but the size of the Lady Mechanika print market did not just up and double or triple in the last 2-3 weeks. Actually looking at past prints, an edition size of roughly 100 looks to be the average so the market would have to increase by a factor of 5 to make an argument for edition sizes of 500. You might well believe such an increase occurred but I don't buy it for a second. I have been in this market long enough to know money grabbing when I see it and this is without question money grabbing. If you want to believe differently than by all means, have some more of that Aspen Kool-Aid.