Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-03-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
craigcliff1
Zot

E Bay buyers can be such sum

not enough I have had to do $2,500 in repairs, been cheated out $2,000. now I can add another $1,200 to that. I had a statue collectors wanted, been a while I had a statue collectors wanted , broke in shipping, or buyer wrote, who knows. he shipped to me ebay gave his money $1,200 with shipping, now statue just going to be too much to repair and I can't do it, not within my talents. Dude won't give me his email so I can do my claim at U PIC, if he
did I figure he wont agree when U PIC sent him the form.. Don't know why he is such a scum bag about emailed him a bunch, he just won't respond, ebay stated they can't do anything
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Cmac
Mephisto

I've learned the hard way over the past 15 years in dealing with eBay collectors. Here are some suggestions:
  • Only do "Buy It Now" and require the seller pay immediately. If you don't do this, you'll come across buyers who "purchase" and then don't pay for weeks or not at all.
  • Take pics of the packaging. Doesn't matter how small it is, just do it.
  • Insure everything and use the shipping company's default (USPS, and in the case of UPS, declare the proper amount). Do not use eBay's insurance to save a dollar or two.
  • Require a signature at delivery. I don't care if the shipping company isn't doing signatures due to Covid. PayPal may not cover you without that option being selected. It's annoying, but necessary.
  • All shipping is set to "Free" or small set dollar amount. Shipping is never "free" but people expect it so include an average shipping cost across the country in your purchase price.
  • I only ship within the U.S. It reduces the potential buyers, but collectors are the worst when it comes to crying about import charges. I've even had somebody in Canada whine about UPS charging a fee when I had done free shipping on a decently sized item.
  • Lock down your listing so it doesn't show internationally. I also do not ship to Hawaii, Alaska, or military bases. I had some guy once buy a Gentle Giant Speeder Bike statue and he was in the most northern base in the arctic circle. He said he never got it, went through the whole fiasco of insurance and USPS paid out. 6 months later, the statue shows up at my door returned by USPS stating that it was never claimed.
  • I don't offer returns. I make sure that every listing is as accurate as I possibly can make it and post an extensive number of pictures. So long as you are honest, this helps keep the impulse purchasers from bothering you.
  • I don't sell to "0 feedback" buyers and make a note of it in the listing. With collectors, you will come across people who have started new accounts because of previous bad feedback. You don't want to sell to these people.
  • Have a cut/paste template that you post in bold red at the bottom of every listing in a larger font than the description. State upfront no international shipping, you require signature at delivery and insurance, and that you do not offer returns.

Final note - there seem to be a group of collectors in all fields that don't know what they are buying. I'm not sure if they are new or just lazy, but you'll occasionally come across people who keep asking the most basic questions about what they are buying (zero product knowledge). Once it gets to the third email from them, I ignore and lock the listing so they can't buy from me. It might seem excessive, but the headaches I've had from these buyers has never been worth the hassle.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
craigcliff1
Zot

Thanks been colleting 15 years and doing ebay 14 years learned a lot but can read what you have
Old 03-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Sorry Craig. I'm guessing this is the piece you were PMing me about last month.

I've been selling in general since eBay first appeared. I've gone from no rules to a list a mile long over the years. Cmac has some good pointers. I find requiring pictures for any kind of reimbursement helps the process along. I take out full insurance (through UPS) so if the buyer wants their money back or they're just dicking around like in your case and it's listed in your rules eBay will usually side with you. If someone doesn't pay I use the eBay form after 48 hours and have my final fee by the weekend so I can relist by Sunday. If it's stupid or shifty stuff the buyer is trying to pull during or after the auction I don't do a thing. I require them to initiate what ever BS they're trying to pull so it's on record with eBay. I don't put up with peoples crap. They're taking money from my pocket, wasting my time and wasting the time from my legit buyers. I make it as annoying and hard for the scammers as possible.

With the new managed payments system you are covered even more than before. eBay is now responsible for the whole pot and not split between them and Paypal where both could point fingers at each other. I strongly suggest any transaction where you have a tracking number you insert it in the managed payments section because that's proof it made it to the buyer and eBay has told me as long as they see the item made it to the destination through tracking they'd have my back. I extensively went over this with them when I was forced to do managed payments and how banking/transfer would work. They monitor peoples accounts now that scam sellers i.e. pulling funds back after buying something and it's shipped. Below is my list and it's worked for me. You can copy it and make it your own.

*All my figures and game music are 100% from Japan, no bootlegs. All statues are legit, no recasts.
*I do not cancel bids or winning bids. You are responsible for your own actions. You win, you pay. No exceptions.
*Payment is required within 48 hours of auctions end. No payment after that time period results in an automatic non-paying buyer claim.
*No local pickup. I combine shipping (excluding statues & Sideshow art prints). Wait for a combined invoice if you win multiple items. All items will be packed well. A tracking number will be provided after the item is shipped. I ship Tuesdays and Thursdays.
*Buyers with 0 feedback please contact me before you bid or I will remove your bid and block you for future auctions. If you win with no contact I will cancel the auction and block you.
*If you have any questions or concerns you can always message me. If something gets damaged during transit contact me ASAP. Pictures will be required for any kind of compensation. Everything is a case by case basis. It is your responsibility to open and check statues, figures and art prints within a timely manner. Refunds will not be given if this is abused. I am not responsible if the item differs from the manufacturers prototype, or it's brown box gets shipping wear during transit. Do your research before you bid. If you're not sure what you are bidding on ask me.
*A+ feedback will be left. I hope you do the same!
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
craigcliff1
Zot

thanks. on this one its not so much ebay, if this had been just PP I would have his email, but with U PIC he has to agree item was broken, I figure this scum wouldn't do that.