Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #71
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

It amazes me how different people react to the same movie.

I truly enjoyed about 60% of this movie, but it had some major problems for me. The kid is a main one. Scenes that dragged were another. Parker Possey should give up acting entirely.

I saw it on the preview night, so a number of Superman/ comic fans. They applauded the Spider Man preview, but not at the end of the film. What does this tell you?
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #72
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Disappointing but still an OK film

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
...Ah, well. I will decide for myself. I've already bought tickets for tomorrow. Superman is one of my favorite comic book heroes (along with Batman, Captain America, Thor and DD), I proudly wear a Superman wrist watch every day. Still, I wish this review, in particular, had been stronger.
I'm in the minority. My lcs owner, my kids and even my wife just loved this movie. I had problems with it.

The Costume

Nitpicky, I know, but the tiny and elevated chest emblem, the ultra skimpy red shorts, the leather cape, no yellow "S" on the cape...why mess with iconic imagery?

The Acting

I felt Brandon Routh was wooden throughout the film as Superman. This character has depth. Look at what Busiek and Johns are doing in his comic or what Christopher Reeve did in his first two films. His Clark Kent also was just Routh acting like Reeve acting like Clark Kent.

Kevin Spacey was too over the top. Sure, he was darker and more villainous than Hackman was. But still too much camp.

Remember "Batman Begins"? This was a different movie's version of Batman, not a recreation of Keaton's Batman. Yeah, I know the premise of this movie is to build of the Chris Reeve movie. But enough time has passed that the actors playing Superman/Clark and Lex should make them their own characters.

Kate didn't work for me.

I thought Langella as Perry was great.

Throw Backs

The "Statistically speaking..." regurgitation line about flying was too cute, as was the final image of Superman smiling at the camera in the same pose as Reeve, and Lex's referencing his father's statement about real estate. Ugh. This movie references the prior movies too much, IMHO.

Seeing Jack Larson and the Action #1 image was cool, for sure

Action/Special Effects

Outstanding. Great stuff.

The Kid

I liked him, and the piano scene was one of the best, most original scenes in the whole film.

Sorry, fdisk, Superman is one of my favorite characters. I wore my Superman pin to the movie. But it was okay but not the great movie going experience I'd hoped for.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #73
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Good Job WKTF, you probably just made FDisk cry, LOL!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #74
Fdisk
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I wore my Superman pin to the movie.
If you wore anything less than a shirt then you are not a true fan

Everyone's entitled to their opinion; I love that this movie is set in the same Universe as Superman: The Movie, hence all the reference; I didn't think Routh or Spacey were immitating anyone, I thought they did a great job with their roles. I think Kate is a much better Lois than Kidder, although not as good as Teri Hatcher or the Superman: TAS Lois.

To each their own though, you don't have to apologize to me, I didn't produce nor direct the movie
Fdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #75
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I put the shirt on and my wife made me change it. What can I say? My kids were disappointed I didn't wear it.

This movie's being in the same universe doesn't mean they have to repeat the same lines, which is what they did. It's its own movie and should stand on its own while still being set in the same universe. I disagree about Routh, especially, not immitating Reeve as Clark. The higher voice, the stammering, the crooked smile, it's pretty obvious. And when the glasses came off when he was with Lois his look was the same as in Superman II.

As you said, to each his own.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #76
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

This would have been better casting for Bosworth.

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #77
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yowza! I'd say!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 AM   #78
Relic
The Herculoids

I thought X3 was better, not way better but still better.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote