Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 03-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #31
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Their LOTR is good, but usually lacks in facial detail. Old price was a bit high, but ok value. But a price increase? Nah. Not worth it now unless they really step up their paint apps/detail.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:54 AM   #32
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Their LOTR is good, but usually lacks in facial detail. Old price was a bit high, but ok value. But a price increase? Nah. Not worth it now unless they really step up their paint apps/detail.
I agree. I imagine Weta is one of those (many) companies whose sculpture and art would be unlocked under the powers of a master painter.

Although, I've always been surprised by the loyal fans who seem to support Weta overall.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:58 AM   #33
ilsensine
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Please, Iron has some of the worst priced stuff ever, just look at their recent Batmobile and DeLorean pieces. 1/10 stuff is not that cheap, scale is tiny and many of them are almost $200.

Most of the Weta environment "dinky little things" are super detailed and only one has ever been 1K and it's huge( even though a lot of them are worth that now or much more.) They have had a lot of cool pieces even under $50, so don't tell me you can't afford a "single piece". Plus they do have sales once in a while as well as a great rewards system to help offset the costs.
Whatever, I don't care about Iron Studios much--I got some Iron 1/10s a while back for $119 on Sideshow and they are quite nice. I see absolutely nothing comparable in that price range on Weta's website. But the Delorean stuff is overpriced yeah. So, what is your argument, exactly? "Weta is overpriced...but so is Iron Studios!" Well, okay. Did Iron Studios just announce a price hike?

And yes, the last environments I looked at, Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul, were quite dinky for the price. It's a pass for me, dogg. More for you, I guess--everyone wins.
ilsensine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:21 AM   #34
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsensine View Post
Whatever, I don't care about Iron Studios much--I got some Iron 1/10s a while back for $119 on Sideshow and they are quite nice. I see absolutely nothing comparable in that price range on Weta's website. But the Delorean stuff is overpriced yeah. So, what is your argument, exactly? "Weta is overpriced...but so is Iron Studios!" Well, okay. Did Iron Studios just announce a price hike?

And yes, the last environments I looked at, Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul, were quite dinky for the price. It's a pass for me, dogg. More for you, I guess--everyone wins.
Weta mini statues for around that same price are very nice and for the most part look every bit as good as an IS 1/10. You aren't trying very hard if you can't find anything around that price. MM and MT were $699 and $799, well below the 1K you mentioned, one even lights up. Neither are small at all, they are 2-3x the size of a 1/10.

Oh and don't worry, most companies are not going to come out and announce a price hike, they will just build that into their prices going forward like most do every year. I am frankly surprised anyone is even talking about this, given the current state of things everything has to go up.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:29 AM   #35
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I agree. I imagine Weta is one of those (many) companies whose sculpture and art would be unlocked under the powers of a master painter.

Although, I've always been surprised by the loyal fans who seem to support Weta overall.
You want to talk expensive; you can probably quadruple your price of a piece if you want to have a "master" paintjob and it wouldn't be worth it for most people.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:56 AM   #36
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
You want to talk expensive; you can probably quadruple your price of a piece if you want to have a "master" paintjob and it wouldn't be worth it for most people.
My point wasn't necessarily aimed at price point, but more the quality of Weta paint apps.

I stopped considering Weta products quite a while ago, as the production painting always fell WAY short of the prototypes. I come back every now and then to see if things have changed, especially considering the statements from Weta loyal fans....but regardless, IMHO, the production paint quality is as bad as it ever was.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #37
Mister H
Gen 13

I have Weta's current 1/6 Gandalf and Nazgul statues and they are both great. I cruise eBay now and then to look at some of the past LOTR items they put out and some of them are pretty horrible.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #38
SDguy

Quote:
Weta mini statues for around that same price are very nice and for the most part look every bit as good as an IS 1/10. You aren't trying very hard if you can't find anything around that price. MM and MT were $699 and $799, well below the 1K you mentioned, one even lights up. Neither are small at all, they are 2-3x the size of a 1/10.

Oh and don't worry, most companies are not going to come out and announce a price hike, they will just build that into their prices going forward like most do every year. I am frankly surprised anyone is even talking about this, given the current state of things everything has to go up.
I really thought this thread would be 1, 2 pages tops, with most replies being "Yup, just like every other manufacturer..."
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #39
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
I have nothing against price increases as long as the performance ratio is right.
When it comes to the price/performance ratio, statues are a bit out of the ordinary because they are luxury items and in the end everyone has to decide for themselves what they spend on them.
Like the other manufacturers, Weta has increased the price with each new release in recent months.
I think that a pain threshold has already been reached for many collectors.
I find it audacious to announce a general price increase now.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #40
nermin93
Frackin!

So there was no price increase on existing pre-orders?
nermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote