Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #221
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

He will have plenty of song choices, especially from his new Zune player!
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #222
JetBlackMac
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Spending money and time, a late night during the work week, in hopes of seeing something entertaining and fulfilling like the majority of Marvel movies only to feel like that time (other than time with my son) and money were wasted and seeing a property I've loved for decades treated so poorly on screen.
I thought this version of the team has only been around since like 2008ish?
JetBlackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #223
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackMac View Post
I thought this version of the team has only been around since like 2008ish?
Yes, but the characters themselves are much older
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #224
JetBlackMac
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
Yes, but the characters themselves are much older
I realize that.
I'm just surprised anyone would say they loved the Guardians of the Galaxy for decades.
If ya do wtkf, that's cool.

It just over the years of collecting comics.
I got the impression people thought they were kinda lame.
I mean before the 2008 stories that brought the current team together. It was like nobody cared.
You could have gotten most of the key issues of the main characters for very reasonable prices.
Some maybe in the dollar bins.(Rockets mini-series for sure)
Now they're all well up in price and rarity.

Anyway, I thought the movie was enjoyable. Went in open minded and was entertained.
JetBlackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #225
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackMac View Post
I realize that.
I'm just surprised anyone would say they loved the Guardians of the Galaxy for decades.
If ya do wtkf, that's cool.

It just over the years of collecting comics.
I got the impression people thought they were kinda lame.
I mean before the 2008 stories that brought the current team together. It was like nobody cared.
You could have gotten most of the key issues of the main characters for very reasonable prices.
Some maybe in the dollar bins.(Rockets mini-series for sure)
Now they're all well up in price and rarity.

Anyway, I thought the movie was enjoyable. Went in open minded and was entertained.
To each his own.

I've been reading Guardians since 1969 when they first appeared in Marvel Super-Heroes and then moved over to Marvel Two-In-One, then into Defenders, eventually into Thor and then Avengers with Korvac saga. I loved when they appeared in other books. They were a fringe team with lots of heart and spirit and were a lot of fun. I really disliked this movie's portrayal of Yondu, a noble and bright character in the comics turned into a dark, gang leading thug. And Stalone's portrayl of the enigmatic and also noble Starhawk was laughably bad ("Let's go steal some ----." Really?). And who are The Ravagers, anyway? Putting all this aside, I felt the movie on its own was poorly written and corny. The overblown family issues and themes were eye rolling. It just failed for me on every level.

But, again, that's just me. I'm delighted that others loved it since they spent their money to see it.

Last edited by wktf; 05-19-2017 at 12:19 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #226
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
I felt the movie on its own was poorly written and corny. The overblown family issues and themes were eye rolling. It just failed for me on every level.
Again, I think you are waaaaaay off base here, as I thought there was enough levity to balance out the seriousness.

With your knowledge of the GotG comics from before this iteration of the current team lineup from 2008, I can see why you would be frustrated. This isn't a team you can relate or understand in terms of their dynamics.

That being said, I think James Gunn did a superb job of inviting audiences who are not familiar with the past books and still allowing them to understand and welcome these characters into the fold.

Considering this is his second time around, he's obviously struck a chord with the majority of Marvel and non-comic fans. Looking forward to his final opportunity with Vol. 3.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #227
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I felt the movie on its own was poorly written and corny. The overblown family issues and themes were eye rolling. It just failed for me on every level.

But, again, that's just me. I'm delighted that others loved it since they spent their money to see it.
Ditto. Corny. And I'll be passing on Guardians of the Galaxy: Children of the Corn.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #228
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Again, I think you are waaaaaay off base here, as I thought there was enough levity to balance out the seriousness.
No, I'm not.

Why is this a concept that's so difficult for people on this forum? If you were to say you feel differently or have a different opinion I'd totally respect and acknowledge your point of view. I would NOT say you're "way off base," essentially implying you're wrong, because it's your opinion and that it's different than mine.

Why am I "off base" because I didn't like the movie and have explained several times why I didn't like the movie, as opposed to just having a different legitimate opinion for me, while still being happy others liked the movie for themselves?

Last edited by wktf; 05-19-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Auto correct misfires typing on my phone are driving me crazy! Heh.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #229
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Just saw it yesterday. I thought it was great. As good as the first if you ask me. Fun, funny, action-packed, and great visuals. Didn't find it all that corny, personally. Thought they did a good job mixing the serious with the funny. Couple parts fell a little flat, but most landed. Drax was hilarious. Solid 8/10.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #230
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Saw it last night.Not as good as the first one.1st I think choice of Music was terrible.And too much time spend on "Feelings".Drax was the best at the jokes and I was expecting more from Rocket.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote