Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
ILOVETHISSTUFF
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

OPINIONS on Wolverine Diorama

Wolverine Statue Diorama from Byrne/Claremont run. Any opinions. Good or Bad. How does it stack up in scale to the regular statues?
ILOVETHISSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

No pic?
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

The biggest problem with this statue is the oversized sewer tunnel. Other than that, I like it a lot. Wish I didnt break mine though.

Scale is pretty close to Bowen.

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Oh that's the one. Have it and like it.
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
comicbkguy
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton
The biggrest problem with this statue is the oversized sewer tunnel.
It is so much worse than you know. The guy who sculpted it did a great job, but what he did (and it was what Clay asked him to do) was do an all around tunnel that was longer than what made it in to the finished product. We ground down the castings to get it this small. The molds were without a doubt the most expensive (and most diffuclt) I have ever poured. We were thinking about using the full sized tunnel for an A.P. and putting Nightcrawler on the ceiling, but it was decided that it wouldn't be pratical.
comicbkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
rychehitman
Galactus

that would have been awesome to see!

I love this piece! The wolvie sculpt can be placed into a Bowen X-base! I think its the best FS Wolverine sculpt ever made. Some paint jobs came out a little on the orange side, so look it over closely before you buy!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
dfchang
The Riddler

Well, I have owned the regular version and the diamond eyes version. I think the base kinda overshadows the sculpt which is a shame. I've read on more than one occasion that people passed on the piece because of the size of the base.

The sculpt of WOLVERINE himself however remains one of the best classical renditions of the character ever done. Per Clay's usual standards, the physique and body are magnificent with beautifully proportioned musculature and balance.

In my book only two kits come close to this sculpt and both are more artistic renditions than this classically correct depiction. Formation Designs LOGAN and Gabe Perna's Meltdown.

As for the base itself, yes it IS big but I also think it is what makes the piece unique. After all, it IS accurate the scene in the comics depicted and gives the piece context. Without it, you have simply another walking Wolverine statue . . . awesomely sculpted to be sure but still a bit boring in my opinion.

Dennis
dfchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

The sewer base was just too big and ugly, so I put Wolverine on a Bowen Cyclops base and I think it looks good. Since Wolverine is supposed to be short, I think the statue is in scale with the other Bowen X-Men statues.

carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I agree, it is one of the best Wolverine statues currently out there. I would put this in my collection if SS was not putting out the comiquette. Have to be smart about my purchaese nowadays so only 1 Wolverine allowed....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
ILOVETHISSTUFF
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

The likeness to Byrne's wolverine is dead on. The paint on the arms does hurt it a bit. any other thoughts?
ILOVETHISSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote