Prime 1: "Promises schmomises, Ambasah!"
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #52
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Sideshow's Classic Catwoman = Variant

Most of Prime 1 stuff = Repaints (and lesser at that)
true, i guess there is a degree of variants

i personally still dont consider the classic catwoman a variant just because it was an entirely new sculpt. nothing from the original was reused except for the base (which still had different cat "gargoyles")

the ss deadpool x-force variant was an example of a variant done well imo as was the symbiote spiderman pf. repaint variants are just lame i think
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #53
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Great that this information was shared with the community and brought to collectors attentions. Definitely not good public relations practice. But then again, we don't buy their pieces because they save kittens from trees. Maybe a Lady Maria EX EX with a kitten in a tree?
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #54
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
@nextlevel99, can you confirm that Prime 1 is a legit Japanese owned company or is it Malaysian owned in Japan? Curious to know because I’ve tried to email/messenger in Japanese to Prime 1 and no reply. But the same questions in English they replied. Also, my family have called there and nothing. Also, all of the main guys are Malaysian and no Japanese people. Not that it matters, just curious to know the truth. You speak to everyone like a boss, so I assume you can confirm this.
I think you answered yourself

The owners definitively speak fluent english reading their posts on Instagram etc. Like a lot malaysians I know. I would like to ask them stuff but we don't really know who they are lol. It's a mistery.

Well, while they do what they do so well, I have no concern with that. But I would like some insight on the people behind Prime1, at least to congratulate them for reigniting the collectibles market.
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #55
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu_Manchu View Post
I think you answered yourself

The owners definitively speak fluent english reading their posts on Instagram etc. Like a lot malaysians I know. I would like to ask them stuff but we don't really know who they are lol. It's a mistery.

Well, while they do what they do so well, I have no concern with that. But I would like some insight on the people behind Prime1, at least to congratulate them for reigniting the collectibles market.
Like I said, not that it matters. But yeah, I just find the entire secrecy/mystery thing strange. If you’re like Matrix and doing shady things, well perhaps the anonymous route would be better. But we all know P1 puts quality statues in collectors hands so I dunno lol. Perhaps this Mr. J is nextlevel99. From now on I will direct my questions to him/her.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #56
iguana
Blue Falcon

edited
iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #57
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
as do most of their variants (who wants a solid gold batman or enormous gold frog?) while i think they are stupid, they do not annoy me to the level other companies do just because i know i will have no interest in them - the original version is always better
I don't believe the gold variants were ever truly expected to resonate with the western market.

Imo Prime 1 probably expected to sell the bulk of the Gold variant pieces in East Asian countries.

It just seems to be the thing to do in some East Asian countries. There's gold variants of everything and anything.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #58
SteveL.
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

You either make larger edition sizes at a reduced cost per item or you make smaller edition sizes at a increased cost per item.

These companies are in business for profit,not for anything else.They will change their strategy at will, based on what will make them the most profit,regardless of what collector's think works best for their collection,bragging rights,exclusivity, or wallet.
SteveL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #59
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL. View Post
You either make larger edition sizes at a reduced cost per item or you make smaller edition sizes at a increased cost per item.

These companies are in business for profit,not for anything else.They will change their strategy at will, based on what will make them the most profit,regardless of what collector's think works best for their collection,bragging rights,exclusivity, or wallet.
I think most of us understand that to an extent.

The thing that is biting them is that they did say they would inform us when the original piece goes up for preorder, if there would be any variants on that piece.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #60
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I think most of us understand that to an extent.

The thing that is biting them is that they did say they would inform us when the original piece goes up for preorder, if there would be any variants on that piece.
I'm copying my post that I made on page 2 that I think no one read because it was way too long, but I'll bold the part that I think is germane to this discussion:

I think that one post they made about future variants may have done more harm than good. I don't think it's realistic to expect Prime 1 to let us know well in advance of any variants being made because sometimes some are actually conceived well after the initial offering is released, which appears to be the case with both Guts and Lady Maria.

I also think the existence of that post has also made fan outrage even worse when things like this happen, because the post created a (fleeting) sense of trust between Prime 1 and its customers that we would not go through things like this again.

I love the products, but I do have to say that I'm disappointed with some of the ways Prime 1 does business, including these latest variants (as well as inflating the ES of the new Jetfire Prime in China after the initial preorder). I get that variants help Prime 1 tackle more niche subject matter like Isidro, Grunbeld, etc., but there has to be a better way to roll these out than they have been.

Them being exclusive to China and me finding them less desirable than the original statues I own don't change that for me. In fact, the China-exclusive thing disappoints me more, as the Puck exclusive to Wonder Festival and the Bloodborne poster exclusive to Japan disappointed me (and I say that as someone who was in a position to get both). I don't want any customers to feel like they're less important than others, and that's the feeling I get with things like this.

In short, I love Prime 1's stuff, and I hope they can find a way to evolve their business so that every customer can feel like they're valued by the company. No one paying as much as we do for these frivolous items should have to go through this as often as we do.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote