Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #31
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
When you print a label thru ebay, they try to get you. There is a two options to add insurance, one is one i have no clue about and the other is USPS. i always choose the USPS insurance cause the other one seems to be more expensive.

Same thing was available when i picked the GSP, but choose USPS insurance. Cause anything over 250 requires signature to be covered.
There are times the other insurance option is less expensive. Its rare now but In the past it almost always was less expensive. uSPS changed what it charges to it insure a package when it recently redid its pricing
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
tps50701
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
So the package was stolen because of GPS. Wow.
Yup! I never would leave something sitting on my porch for over 3 hours in plain view of everyone, saying "Please come steal me"! I made sure to actually complain to CANPAR as well, about how much of a stupid policy was that they had. I had called them to hold it two days before they delivered and they delivered anyways. The area rep actually chewed out the delivery depot and the driver over the speaker phone with me standing there.

Wasn't my intention to get anyone in trouble, but come on people - use a little bloody common sense and read your damn data terminal about holding a package and not delivering it!

I must say though that the seller did use a trackable and insured method to get it to wherever Pitney Bowes shipping hub is - so they covered their end. The USPS site shows it being delivered to Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes policy on the other hand said that a signature was not required - this is totally factual - from a conference call I had between CANPAR and Pitney Bowes. No one was willing to take the blame, so thats when I contacted Ebay and explained my situation about the delivery method and the lack of care for delivery of my statue.

I made sure that the seller wasn't going to lose out as well. The Ebay rep assured me that the seller wasn't going to lose their money as well - which blew me away - and he refunded me my money with the shipping I had paid. I've never seen this level of customer service from Ebay before - I made sure to leave this guy very positive feedback for customer service from Ebay!

Having something sent via USPS up here, is more secure now than ever. Canada Post's policy is that if it is too big to fit in the mail box - regardless if it requires a signature - is to deliver it to the local post office, where it's held for pickup.

So in the end, it was lesson learned and never ever will I buy via the GSP.

Cheers, Carl
tps50701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #33
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
And just last night I received an offer to ship something direct to France for $19.99 instead of the $60+ it would cost me. I wouldn't be able to ship the package to California for $20, let alone to France.

Everyone discussing that other shipping options provide tracking are 100% missing the point -- sellers are only protected if they ship via USPS express. That is the law of the ebay land unless you now use GSP. Meaning I ship to you with via XYZ with tracking, you say you did not receive, ebay/Paypal ignores the tracking and awards you back your money. I am not comfortable taking that chance. Many other sellers also are not comfortable. The GPS program alleviates that concern for me. I will continue to use it.

I agree with you, Express shipping all the way. Although I just recently switched to the GSP and have not sold one item to another country.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #34
Seanrm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I agree with you, Express shipping all the way. Although I just recently switched to the GSP and have not sold one item to another country.
Yup - nothing to do with the shipping charges. Everything to do with the upfront import duty fees.
Seanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #35
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
not surprising. I was looking for a Batman Black & White statue online. Seller was asking $80 for it with $25 shipping (which was fine). Then I see that the GSP would somehow cost me another $65 in import charges. How the heck they came up with $65 in import fees on an $80 item I'll never know

Sadly, I think I'm done buying anything off eBay. i'll stick to local purchases
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #36
Underdog07
Hercules

Unrelated, I shipped a 59 pound stroller to California today. US Parcel for $120. It was 1 inch away from the maximum allowable dimensions. Three different people at the post office looked at it and said "it's too large we can't take it" (that's what she said) not to agree once they measured it that it was an okay size.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #37
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
not surprising. I was looking for a Batman Black & White statue online. Seller was asking $80 for it with $25 shipping (which was fine). Then I see that the GSP would somehow cost me another $65 in import charges. How the heck they came up with $65 in import fees on an $80 item I'll never know

Sadly, I think I'm done buying anything off eBay. i'll stick to local purchases
That seems out of whack. I have to believe they will tinker with this program to lower those import fees to actual fees.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 AM   #38
Seanrm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I mentioned this earlier, back at the start of the thread, but Amazon US have started doing something similar with their international customers.

They call it their "AmazonGlobal" program.

Somewhat different to eBay, they call their upfront import charges a "deposit" and openly admit that they are estimated.

This is the full text from their help pages:

Calculating Fees

When AmazonGlobal products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the Import Fees will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country ("Import Fees Deposit"). The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.

The Import Fees Deposit is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply and isn't an actual calculation. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the date the taxes and duties were estimated and the applicable taxes and duties on the date of import into the destination country. The duty or tax rate is often determined by the classification of a good, which varies by country and region.

For AmazonGlobal items, you won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, please check the seller's policies.

If the actual Import Fees (paid by the carrier on behalf of the recipient to the customs and tax authorities of the destination country) are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail confirming the amount of the refund. The process takes 60 days from the shipment date.

Needless to say, eBay upfront import fees are all actual, not estimated - nobody gets a refund of any kind if they are wrong.
Seanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #39
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps50701 View Post
Yup! I never would leave something sitting on my porch for over 3 hours in plain view of everyone, saying "Please come steal me"! I made sure to actually complain to CANPAR as well, about how much of a stupid policy was that they had. I had called them to hold it two days before they delivered and they delivered anyways. The area rep actually chewed out the delivery depot and the driver over the speaker phone with me standing there.

Wasn't my intention to get anyone in trouble, but come on people - use a little bloody common sense and read your damn data terminal about holding a package and not delivering it!

I must say though that the seller did use a trackable and insured method to get it to wherever Pitney Bowes shipping hub is - so they covered their end. The USPS site shows it being delivered to Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes policy on the other hand said that a signature was not required - this is totally factual - from a conference call I had between CANPAR and Pitney Bowes. No one was willing to take the blame, so thats when I contacted Ebay and explained my situation about the delivery method and the lack of care for delivery of my statue.

I made sure that the seller wasn't going to lose out as well. The Ebay rep assured me that the seller wasn't going to lose their money as well - which blew me away - and he refunded me my money with the shipping I had paid. I've never seen this level of customer service from Ebay before - I made sure to leave this guy very positive feedback for customer service from Ebay!

Having something sent via USPS up here, is more secure now than ever. Canada Post's policy is that if it is too big to fit in the mail box - regardless if it requires a signature - is to deliver it to the local post office, where it's held for pickup.

So in the end, it was lesson learned and never ever will I buy via the GSP.

Cheers, Carl
Unless the packaged is shipped with signature required they all (UPS, FEDEX, USPS) leave on our porch and I have never had anything stolen.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #40
Underdog07
Hercules

So here in a nutshell is why I prefer The GSP - that first line really protects the seller.

How does PayPal Seller Protection work?

As the seller, you are only responsible for ensuring delivery to the US shipping center. The global technology and shipping provider is responsible for processing the package for international shipment. So, proof of delivery (such as USPS Delivery Confirmation®) to the US shipping center will protect you from charge backs, reversals, unauthorized purchases, or Item Not Received claims—assuming all other basic eligibility requirement are met. For items $250 or more, you will need to provide signature confirmation of delivery to the US shipping center to be eligible. Please visit PayPal Seller Protection for full details of the program.