Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #21
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanrm View Post
USPS Priority Mail International is a whole lot cheaper than USPS Global Express - just takes a few days longer.

But the shipping cost is not the problem with eBay's Global Shipping Program - it's the arbitrary upfront import charges that are attached to it that buyers have to pay, and sellers cannot see.

Trust me, there are a whole lot of potential international buyers that see those three words on a listing and immediately move on.

Just Google "global shipping program scam" and you'll get a better idea what people think about it.
Sellers are only protected if they ship with global express. Again I have sold more internationally with it then I did without.

And it's not a scam just because someone doesn't agree with it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #22
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I believe it is a scam based on this report provided by an international buyer on comicart-l:
"EBay and Pitney Bowes are also charging for these services even if they haven't delivered them.
I recently bought an item from a US seller who thought that he was offering free shipping.
He was unaware that eBay's setting had him set up for the GSP.
He send the art directly to me but......... I paid $82.61 for shipping and import fees to Pitney Bowes.
The seller was furious!!!
When I received the package I had to pay....... yes import fees but only the official 6% not the 23% import fees (about $52) that I had already paid Pitney Bowes for this item.
Wasn't the whole point if this brilliant service the you have quote eBay :"No additional import charges at delivery!"

Pitney Bowes didn't ship this item, have never seen this item, didn't pay the import fees for this item but they did cash $82,61

I have written proof signed and dated by the seller that he shipped it directly to me. I have all the official papers of his transaction for this shipment at the post office, the package clrealy states a different amount for shipping costs and that he sent it directly to me and guess what.....time for a chuckle... eBay insists that they, Pitney Bowes has send the package :-)

Well they 100% surely didn't and if they did how come I still had to pay import fees when I received the package? (the official 6% not the 23% charged and also paid to Pitney Bowes)"
Based on this I don't think I would be willing to take a chance on the GSP.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #23
tps50701
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

The GSP is a bunch of garbage - period!

My experience with it has netted me a big fat nothing!

Bought a statue on ebay, it was sent up here to Canada - via Pitney Bowes - aka GSP. The package was sent with no signature required and no insurance - this is Pitney Bowes own policy - what happened was that once it got to Canada, CANPAR took over delivery.

The drivers instructions were no signature required - he left it in plain view of everyone, on my front porch (where it was stolen from) - what a numbskull!

After fighting with CANPAR and Pitney Bowes for 2 days, I just called ebay and complained. Reluctantly they refunded my money - would have preferred the statue, as it was something that I had waited for a long time to find.

Everytime I see GSP, as everyone has said - I ask the seller if they can ship via USPS Priority International - or I just refuse to buy.

Let this be a fair warning to anybody who uses this dumb GSP.

All the best, Carl
tps50701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #24
Seanrm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
But I don't think USPS has a signed service for International packages. You can get it Registered Mail for domestic. But the only service USPS has for International that confirms delivery is Express which they hand off to FedEx anyway.

USPS isn't responsible for tracking once normal or Priority International packages leave the US. At least the last time I checked because it goes to other carriers in that country and they don't have to scan items. And that customs number doesn't work either for tracking.

This is really eBay and Paypal's problem for wanting to be a store and giving buyers all kinds of power and the ability to return any item.
I can only speak as someone who buys regularly from the US for shipment to Japan (always fast and reliable in either direction).

Priority International is most definitely trackable, requiring confirmation of delivery (signed-for) and can also be insured for more expensive items. Never had any problems with it.

Aside from courier services (like FedEx) post offices around the world work through reciprocal agreements which means that the destination country is ultimately responsible for final safe delivery. That doesn't mean that items cannot be tracked or that there is no confirmation of delivery.

Anyway, I'm getting away from my main problem with the Global Shipping Program, and that is eBay assuming the role of some kind of pseudo global customs agent.

eBay are taking their usual % from the seller, another cut from their Paypal fx rates and now a slice of spurious import duty fees.
Seanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #25
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
You're correct that once it crosses the border USPS isn't responsible for the tracking. Once it comes into Canada though, Canada Post does scan and continue the tracking that USPS started so you at least have some sense of where it is in the system once it clears customs
We should have a more united mail service with Canada since it's next door. I mentioned it before but it is strange that there isn't a united mail service globally yet. But it is nice that Canada's mail service updates the tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanrm View Post
I can only speak as someone who buys regularly from the US for shipment to Japan (always fast and reliable in either direction).

Priority International is most definitely trackable, requiring confirmation of delivery (signed-for) and can also be insured for more expensive items. Never had any problems with it.

Aside from courier services (like FedEx) post offices around the world work through reciprocal agreements which means that the destination country is ultimately responsible for final safe delivery. That doesn't mean that items cannot be tracked or that there is no confirmation of delivery.
Well in my discussions with USPS, eBay, Paypal, and a few of my friends that also sell on eBay. It's pretty clear that if you use normal International or Priority from USPS, that the seller is taking the risk. That the other mail carriers don't have to continue the tracking or confirmation. Maybe you get lucky.

I will say that there is EMS that I usually use to get packages from Japan. That requires tracking and signature. It always works well and arrives quickly.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #26
Underdog07
Hercules

And just last night I received an offer to ship something direct to France for $19.99 instead of the $60+ it would cost me. I wouldn't be able to ship the package to California for $20, let alone to France.

Everyone discussing that other shipping options provide tracking are 100% missing the point -- sellers are only protected if they ship via USPS express. That is the law of the ebay land unless you now use GSP. Meaning I ship to you with via XYZ with tracking, you say you did not receive, ebay/Paypal ignores the tracking and awards you back your money. I am not comfortable taking that chance. Many other sellers also are not comfortable. The GPS program alleviates that concern for me. I will continue to use it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #27
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps50701 View Post
The GSP is a bunch of garbage - period!

My experience with it has netted me a big fat nothing!

Bought a statue on ebay, it was sent up here to Canada - via Pitney Bowes - aka GSP. The package was sent with no signature required and no insurance - this is Pitney Bowes own policy - what happened was that once it got to Canada, CANPAR took over delivery.

The drivers instructions were no signature required - he left it in plain view of everyone, on my front porch (where it was stolen from) - what a numbskull!

After fighting with CANPAR and Pitney Bowes for 2 days, I just called ebay and complained. Reluctantly they refunded my money - would have preferred the statue, as it was something that I had waited for a long time to find.

Everytime I see GSP, as everyone has said - I ask the seller if they can ship via USPS Priority International - or I just refuse to buy.

Let this be a fair warning to anybody who uses this dumb GSP.

All the best, Carl
So the package was stolen because of GPS. Wow.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
So the package was stolen because of GPS. Wow.

Shipping via FedEx or USPS with tracking or signature required isn't good enough for eBay anymore? I wonder if this goes against some freedom of enterprise or competition law. Can a business forbid the use of another shipping option simply to benefit itself? Something feels off here as those other shipping options worked fine for many years. It looks like another thinly veiled cash grab for eBay, imho. Incidentally, there's no eBay requirement on my end (in Canada) to use this pricey shipping alternative. I can still ship statues via FedEx to the US generally for under $30, no fuss no muss.

P.S. In 20 years of shipping product, I have never had anyone say they didn't receive a package. While I realize there are crooks in this world, it seems a bit unfair to go to this extreme simply to avoid a really low probability occurrence. That's like putting extra shielding on the roof of your car in case of a meteor shower.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
Underdog07
Hercules

Any signature confirmation should be protected - its just global express is one of the few (only?) options out of the US that offers it. And ebay does not mandate you ship any which way - they just state if you ship internationally you must be able to prove receipt to be protected from a non-receipt claim. And if its an item over $250 that proof must be a signature.

All it takes is one $500 statue or piece of art to be "stolen" to make the minuscule "profits" those playing in this hobby disappear.

eBay policies will evolve - they are very buyer friendly and they want items to be sold, so if there is something askew I marine they will review and revise. This program is relatively new after all.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

When you print a label thru ebay, they try to get you. There is a two options to add insurance, one is one i have no clue about and the other is USPS. i always choose the USPS insurance cause the other one seems to be more expensive.

Same thing was available when i picked the GSP, but choose USPS insurance. Cause anything over 250 requires signature to be covered.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote