Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow Kirby Heirs Lose Appeal Against Marvel Comics

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/...marvel-comics/
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I'm actually glad to hear this. I loathe when the kids try and go after a cash grab, based on their parents hard work.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
ratchet
Mandarin

He might have created the characters - but he knew when he was drawing them that he was drawing the FOR Marvel and not to partly own them.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

These are fair points and I tend to agree based on my very limited understanding of the Law on this topic. I don’t think this fight is over as I believe there might be additional loopholes that can be pursued. I think the gripe/complaint is that Marvel never really took care of Jack the way they should have for his role with the company.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
These are fair points and I tend to agree based on my very limited understanding of the Law on this topic. I don’t think this fight is over as I believe there might be additional loopholes that can be pursued. I think the gripe/complaint is that Marvel never really took care of Jack the way they should have for his role with the company.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
The man needed a job to feed his family. Marvel gave him one. They paid his bills, and his family was fed.

I create all kinds of stuff for my work, everyday. Doesn't mean my heirs get to sue my company after I am dead, for work in which I was paid.

They get to go out, get a job, and provide for their family, nd the cycle will continue.

This is happening only because the characters are worth a lot of money, and the kids want to get paid for their fathers talent.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
ftrez
Nightwing

I agree too, Ryu. But I think it is more of a moral obligation than a legal one.

I wouldn't mind a big " Created by Joe Simon & Jack Kirby" credit in the next Captain America movie though.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

As Marvel is now owned by squeaky clean Disney, it would be interesting to see how it will respond to giving nothing to the person who created a product which grossed literally billions of dollars for them in less than a decade. Billions.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccowen View Post
The man needed a job to feed his family. Marvel gave him one. They paid his bills, and his family was fed.

I create all kinds of stuff for my work, everyday. Doesn't mean my heirs get to sue my company after I am dead, for work in which I was paid.

They get to go out, get a job, and provide for their family, nd the cycle will continue.

This is happening only because the characters are worth a lot of money, and the kids want to get paid for their fathers talent.
I agree. What about all the artists and game developers who create concepts/characters/art for video games. Should they be able to go back after the fact and try to get any royalties for that? I don't think so IMO. This, IMO, is a shameless money grab and the artists knew going into the gig who's property it was. Why should comic artists be any different?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
snappahead
Producer
Producer

For Jack, it was never about money. It was about recognition. He was afraid of being forgotten and his contributions to comics being ignored or buried under guys like Stan Lee. It's a well known fact amongst us comic nerds who created what, but the lamen probably thinks Stan Lee created everything by himself. I don't care if his kids get money for his work, but I've always wanted to see more official credit being given by Marvel. It should say "Stan Lee and Jack Kirby presents" on many of their books. Silver Surfer's book could arguably say "Jack Kirby Presents"
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote