Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #21
Python
Omega Red

My main issue with the AVP designs is that all three of the main Predators looked the same. If one was brutish and heavily armed it would have been fine, but all three was a bit much, or lazy even (budget? Time constraint maybe?) Compare it to the end of P2 in which you see a whole clan of varied Predators, lovingly designed for a few seconds of screen time. I'm interested in a Celtic, but he's the only one I'd want really, and that's mainly because he had the best looking bio mask and he was freaking cool when he threw the Grid Alien about.

Their humanised faces were awful however, and the blame lays with the director rather than ADI. Given that we never actually saw Celitics face, Prime 1 have the opportunity to take a little liberty with this statue and offer an unmasked switch out head.... A proper predator head akin to the P1, P2 or wolf.

Personally I'm hoping Prime 1 will size these similarly to the Sideshow maquettes, officially 1/4, but a bit bigger in reality. They offer a size which is imposing enough to draw your attention in, and allows for a variety of poses and accessories to be added without being too big. And I really, really hope they can keep the prices under control as nothing in this hobby has excited me for a long time as much as Prime 1 Predators (and Aliens) are right now... I'd like to get a few of them if possible.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

I have been waiting more than a decade for SS to release something worthy of a purchase. When I heard the initial rumor that Prime 1 was getting the license, I got really excited. They do good work, and they will do the license right.

That being said, I wouldn't touch the garbage AvP designs with a 10-foot stick. Wolf was cool, but Celtic, Chopper and even Scar were lazy, even for the hack Paul WS Anderson.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
My main issue with the AVP designs is that all three of the main Predators looked the same. If one was brutish and heavily armed it would have been fine, but all three was a bit much, or lazy even (budget? Time constraint maybe?) Compare it to the end of P2 in which you see a whole clan of varied Predators, lovingly designed for a few seconds of screen time. I'm interested in a Celtic, but he's the only one I'd want really, and that's mainly because he had the best looking bio mask and he was freaking cool when he threw the Grid Alien about.

Their humanised faces were awful however, and the blame lays with the director rather than ADI. Given that we never actually saw Celitics face, Prime 1 have the opportunity to take a little liberty with this statue and offer an unmasked switch out head.... A proper predator head akin to the P1, P2 or wolf.

Personally I'm hoping Prime 1 will size these similarly to the Sideshow maquettes, officially 1/4, but a bit bigger in reality. They offer a size which is imposing enough to draw your attention in, and allows for a variety of poses and accessories to be added without being too big. And I really, really hope they can keep the prices under control as nothing in this hobby has excited me for a long time as much as Prime 1 Predators (and Aliens) are right now... I'd like to get a few of them if possible.
I don't see them offering a unmasked portrait for this. There is no point really. I'd rather save a couple hundred bucks. I think they could keep this guy under $1500 with his simple design.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Even the Super Predators were still more "normal", it's really the stupid proportions i hate on the AVP guys.

Then again not a fan of the Super Preds anyway lol
I mean his proportions aren't that bad :< his chest armor is just hella thick
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

They went "linebacker" stupid when they designed the AvP Predators. I think they were trying to combine Predator and Jason Voorhees. That is what they got, whether they were trying or not. I think they would have better luck doing the Lost Hunters from P2 than these designs. The designs may have grown on some, but I still think the majority of fans still despise the AvP movies. And I don't know how many will pay $1500+ for any of them.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #26
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
They went "linebacker" stupid when they designed the AvP Predators. I think they were trying to combine Predator and Jason Voorhees. That is what they got, whether they were trying or not. I think they would have better luck doing the Lost Hunters from P2 than these designs. The designs may have grown on some, but I still think the majority of fans still despise the AvP movies. And I don't know how many will pay $1500+ for any of them.
I'd bet there are even less people willing to pay a similar price or more for a random, non movie related Predator in the XM version. If it's bad ass, it will sell just fine because all Predator statues that are bad ass sale no matter what. A lot of people love the Celtic Bio design. The movies don't have to be great to like a characters look.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #27
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I'd bet there are even less people willing to pay a similar price or more for a random, non movie related Predator in the XM version. If it's bad ass, it will sell just fine because all Predator statues that are bad ass sale no matter what. A lot of people love the Celtic Bio design. The movies don't have to be great to like a characters look.
Can you quantify "a lot"?

The movie and the designs were equally horrible. I'm on several Predator forums, and while AvP does have fans, the general consensus is that it was big mistake. If Sideshow can succeed with the Predator stuff they have been passing off, then probably just about anything will sell.

I have been saying that Prime 1 was going to get the Predator license for over a year, and there was one guy who kept doubting it ever time I said it. Was that you?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #28
vangeta
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Fuuuuuuuu! Finally some AVP statues from none other than Prime 1! I haven't been excited for a release for years now.
vangeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #29
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Even Hot Toys took liberties with them because if you go back and look at the movie their proportions are ridiculous.

It's just not for me what the Predator is about, they aren't big brutish hulks...they're smart, athletic and agile but with strength...

Hey were all different and if you think the AVP Preds are the best design then fair enough, were all different.

But personally, everything in that movie is absolute trash lol.
How do you know this? Is that canon? The new Predator movie that comes out may have TANK Predators. I think your way of viewing what is and isn't a Predator is elementary...and limited. Clearly in the Predator 2 you saw all kinds of Predators. Skinny, thicker, different colors.

Beserker Predator was bigger than the Classic Predator...so clearly they come bigger and stronger.

Yes, the AVP could have been done better, but the Predator designs are primo...and shows diversity. I personally think the Predators designs of Tracker, Berserker and Falconer were more interesting than the Jungle Hunter and City Hunter Predators...well its debatable with City Hunter as I loved all the contraptions at his disposal.

In fact, its all the technology that makes the Predators so damn cool...not to mention their designs in general.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #30
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
For me, the best Predator design is the Wolf Predator. He's just pure bad ass on another level from all the other movie Preds we've seen. That opening scene in AVP: Requiem where he's sitting in his chair, sees the help request beacon, goes to his "wall display" to get all his gear, and responds by immediately traveling to Earth to assess and clean up the situation is pure awesomeness in my book. The movie, itself, wasn't that good though.

I love all the Predators...some more than others. Its like Transformers G1 for me (not that Bayformer crap). I liked just about all the TFs because they all had different personalities. Sure, there are some I liked more than others, but I like them all.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote