Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #21841
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Rogue One - 8/10

Pleasantly surprised and wonderfully entertained by its story. F/X are out of this world. Everything I was hoping for and then some.

Loved all the nods to the OT and the various cameos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
[B] I'm a little disappointed to see a Star Wars film that is a little less accessible to a younger audience given the darker tone.
I applaud Disney for granting Gareth Edwards and his writing team to cater to an older audience. I think it was a bold move that paid off in spades..i.e. $155 MILLION opening.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #21842
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Ben-Hur (2016) - 2/10

Bad acting with mediocre f/x. Chariot racing was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise unnecessary reboot.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #21843
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
I applaud Disney for granting Gareth Edwards and his writing team to cater to an older audience. I think it was a bold move that paid off in spades..i.e. $155 MILLION opening.
Again, a more mature Star Wars film is something I was interested in seeing as well. Just not convinced it should have been one that is so closely tied to the events of the OT.

And to be fair, any movie with the words "Star Wars" in it should be expected to have such a successful opening weekend. Heck, I'd argue that if the film were just a little more accessible to a younger crowd it may have made even more.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #21844
gates70
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Last Tango in Paris - 6/10 Love Brando but this was just an odd one for me
Hellraiser - 8/10
Hellraiser II - 7/10
gates70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #21845
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Sicario: 9/10 - Have seen it a few times (can't remember what I rated it last time but it was high). I love this movie. It's brutally grim and the story is brilliant. And TBH, I'm not someone that usually comments on a film's score but man, does it make this movie.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #21846
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Sicario is a very well directed film. Think I rated it an 8 or 8.5/10 and I also LOVED the score. Thrilled Denis Villeneuve is Directing Blade Runner 2049. He's all about tone and atmosphere and that's perfect for Blade Runner.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #21847
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Again, a more mature Star Wars film is something I was interested in seeing as well. Just not convinced it should have been one that is so closely tied to the events of the OT.

And to be fair, any movie with the words "Star Wars" in it should be expected to have such a successful opening weekend. Heck, I'd argue that if the film were just a little more accessible to a younger crowd it may have made even more.
They remade the OT via The Force Awakens, that movie was for the kids. They expanded on the OT with Rogue One, which is for the adults. Hopefully the anthology films continue to cater to people who want a more mature storyline, the regular episodes can continue on for the general audiences.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #21848
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

The Good Neighbour.....7.5/10

Slow burning thriller but the end stayed with me for days so that alone is worth an extra point.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #21849
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Maybe so, but if they 'kidded' it up more I doubt my rating would have been as high.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #21850
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
They remade the OT via The Force Awakens, that movie was for the kids. They expanded on the OT with Rogue One, which is for the adults. Hopefully the anthology films continue to cater to people who want a more mature storyline, the regular episodes can continue on for the general audiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Maybe so, but if they 'kidded' it up more I doubt my rating would have been as high.
These conversations got nowhere this time last year. I'll spare us all and just acknowledge those are your opinions. Just wish more could enjoy everything Disney is doing with the Star Wars franchise. They're 2 for 2 in my book. Bring on the next film.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote