Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #21
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
what I read is this :

during the 80s John Byrne created the NextMen.

John wanted his creation the NExtMen to be the Next Big Thing ( much like the x-men, fantastic four). John did everything he could to try to make the NExt Men become the next big thing in comic.

it did not work out the way John wanted.

John remains bitter to this day because of this

Did any souls here read about this too?
I didn't hear about that but I do have the first appearance of Hellboy in Next Men #21
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #22
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Not to go off-topic too much, but why is a Chris Claremont paid not to write?
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

from what I read online is that Chris Claremont is under some type of contract with Marvel but part of the contract is that he cannot write for other companies. In the meantime, Marvel does not give him many writing assignments.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #24
Agent23

Oh ok. And what’s the scoop with McFarlane making Byrne out to be a klansman? Was that that early issue, # 30? What’s the story on that?
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #25
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

never heard that - yikes. It does sound like the catfighting amongst some comic book creators would put any Dynasty-soap opera-Real Housewives catfight to shame

back to Chris, I wish he was still writing today. He might still have an old school style but when he wrote a book, it was not a quick read. Also, he was one writer who I thought really could write a female character with incredible depth.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
Oh ok. And what’s the scoop with McFarlane making Byrne out to be a klansman? Was that that early issue, # 30? What’s the story on that?
Yes, it was Spawn #30. In an interview for a special issue of Wizard Magazine McFarlane admitted two KKK characters were based on Peter David and John Byrne. I still have that issue of Wizard in a box somewhere.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
MrYac
Hercules

The man still draws my favorite Super-Skrull out of anybody.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #28
Agent23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Yes, it was Spawn #30. In an interview for a special issue of Wizard Magazine McFarlane admitted two KKK characters were based on Peter David and John Byrne. I still have that issue of Wizard in a box somewhere.
I never heard that before. Thanks.

I knew McFarlane and David didn’t get along.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #29
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Byrne is in my Top 5 writers/artists category. I've followed him pretty steadily (until the last few years) since I came across his early take on Power Man - Iron Fist, X-Men and so on. I loved his Man of Steel revamp which to me, cemented the notion that Clark Kent was his true persona and essence and Supes was his side gig. I lappreciated his run on Fantastic Four (okay, except for Johnny Storm's skater haircut ), which is tied with Walt Simonson's weird but fun run on the book. Byrne was the first artist I ever saw embrace visual diversity in his main and secondary characters. In the Byrne-sphere there were also normal people...less than model perfect glamorous folks... you know... the real world. As much as I liked George Perez, much of his early work consisted of "model perfect" people (and a certain interchangeable sameness). Byrne gave us the ultimate Wolverine depiction. I still recall a panel of X-Men with Kitty Pride struggling mightily to assist an injured Logan and complaining how unbelievably heavy he was for such a short guy (all that Adamantium, I guess). My only real grievance with his work was how short some of his stints on a title would be in later years. That said, no matter how temperamental or grumpy he may be, it does not detract from his body of work. Excelsior!
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #30
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Byrne is my absolute favorite comic artist of all time.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote