Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #15651
patrickwm68
The Flash

The Hobbit Extended Ed., 10/10

Man of Steel, 9/10

Pacific Rim, 8.5/10

Curse of Chucky, 6.5/10. Stay though the credits for a surprise appearance.

Last edited by patrickwm68; 11-18-2013 at 10:11 PM.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #15652
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Jeepers Creepers. This started out well for about the first 25-30mins then went downhill. Sometimes I wish the horror genre would take itself seriously and not feel the need to lighten the mood. Some cool art direction and creature design gives this a 6/10.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #15653
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

World War Z - 9/10

Solid zombie apocalypse film. I enjoy that this brings something new to the table in showing us the actual outbreak rather than just dropping us into the aftermath.

My only issue with this film was that the theatrical cut pulled to many punches in terms of the amount of gore shown to achieve it's PG-13 rating. Off screen kills take away from the severity of the situation and hurts the overall narrative. You need to SEE the horrors that these characters are facing in order to appreciate the decisions they are forced to make. The unrated cut ups the violence and helps a bit in this regard and as such my rating from the 'Theatrical Cut' to the 'Unrated Cut' is bumped up a full point.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #15654
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Only God Forgives - 7/10

I'd wager the casual viewer, or those expecting something similar in tone to Director Nicholas Winding Refn's 'Drive' to not like this film. In fact I'd expect most will absolutely hate it. I personally found it fascinating, albeit strange. I'd probably never recommend this film to anyone out of fear they'd never listen to my advice again, and I honestly get why it isn't for everyone. That being said there are too many great elements to ignore. First off Refn is a very talented Director. The way he frames his shots here and his use of lighting is beautiful and at times reminded me of a Kubrick film. The structure of the narrative is laid out in a way that it almost plays like a silent film with very little dialogue. A lot of the narrative is left up to the viewer's interpretation and this will probably drive the majority of viewers nuts. The subject matter is dark, at times disturbing and brutally violent. Ciiff Martinezs' original score is absolutely brilliant. Think of a mix between Drive, TRON: Legacy and The Shining and you'll have an idea of what to expect. Talk about atmosphere. For fans of cinema and those not afraid to venture into something different I cautiously recommend Only God Forgives. Just please, whatever you do, don't go into it expecting the sequel to Drive.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #15655
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Man of Steel - 9/10

For me personally this was the type of Superman film I've wanted to see ever since picking up the comic book as a young boy. The story of a man torn between the ideals of two opposing fathers resonated with me and helped turn a well known classic tale into something fresh. I appreciated that the origin story was told through relevant flashbacks scenes that paralleled Kal-El's modern day exploits too. The action scenes were on an epic scale, something absent from the previous films, mostly due to the limitations of special effects at the time. To me this was both the most grounded Superman film and the most fantastic. Cavill was great in the title role and I look forward to seeing him and Director Zack Snyder expand on this character in the sequel and hopefully beyond as this ushers in a new era for the DC cinematic Universe.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #15656
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

For me Only God Forgives was dreadful. Certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #15657
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Jeepers Creepers. This started out well for about the first 25-30mins then went downhill. Sometimes I wish the horror genre would take itself seriously and not feel the need to lighten the mood. Some cool art direction and creature design gives this a 6/10.
that is one where i think the sequel is way better than the original film. if you haven't seen it yet, I think you'll like it way more than the first, or at least as much
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #15658
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
that is one where i think the sequel is way better than the original film. if you haven't seen it yet, I think you'll like it way more than the first, or at least as much
Actually I kind of liked that the original did not end exactly like you thought it would.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #15659
Vracula
Jedi Order

I love the Jeepers creepers franchise, cant wait for part 3.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #15660
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Actually I kind of liked that the original did not end exactly like you thought it would.
I did like the first one, especially the very beginning and ending. Somewhere in the middle it got a little bit lost IMO. The second one is very sure of exactly what it is, and where it wants to go with the story. (being careful not to give anything away about the plots of either)
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote