Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #161
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

So, are her current comics comedies that involve action, or action comics that inject humor? Marvel books have tended to be the latter since FF #1 hit the stands. Including Carol’s books which, like all Marvel books, have been laced with humor even while pushing serious subjects (like her alcoholism).

I’m not saying her movie shouldn’t have humor, just treating it as a comedy at its core doesn’t feel right.

Last edited by wktf; 03-03-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Fixing typos.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #162
built2shred
Phoenix

It's a fine line appealing to both men and women, it does you no good getting female customers if you end up losing more male customers in the long run.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #163
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
So, are her current comics comedies that involve action, or action comics that inject humor? Marvel books have tended to be the latter since FF #1 hit the stands. Including Carol’s books which, like all Marvel books, have been laced with humor even while pushing serious subjects (like her alcoholism).

I’m not saying her movie should have humor, just treating it as a comedy at its core doesn’t feel right.
The Captain Marvel book isn't Deadpool-funny, no. It may be closer in tone to the old Justice League International comics. And it's definitely not as serious as when she was Warbird fighting alcoholism. I've been reading Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel consistently for the past 12 years and the increase in humor began with the relaunch as Captain Marvel written by Kelly Sue DeConnick in 2012 and became even more prominent with the current series so it feels right to me.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #164
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
The Captain Marvel book isn't Deadpool-funny, no. It may be closer in tone to the old Justice League International comics. And it's definitely not as serious as when she was Warbird fighting alcoholism. I've been reading Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel consistently for the past 12 years and the increase in humor began with the relaunch as Captain Marvel written by Kelly Sue DeConnick in 2012 and became even more prominent with the current series so it feels right to me.
As a longer time reader of her stories, the approach of developing the movie as a comedy doesn’t feel right to me. This article about Jessica Jones Season 2 has this quote from Jeph Loeb who says, “Marvel works best when you take things from real life and you put them through the Marvel prism...it feels like you’re watching a drama that has action and adventure and humor in it.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0...n%20avenger%20

So, again, I reserve judgment until I see the film and I absolutely hope that I love it as much as I love this character, but the approach to the movie as a comedy first at its core vs. the approach Loeb articulates just makes me worried.

Though people thing Thor: Ragnarok is a comedy, I feel it fits Loeb’s formula, which was the Lee/Kirby/Ditko formula when they launched Marvel Comics. The movie’s center involved the death of Odin, the resurrection of the Goddess of Death, and the destruction of all of Asgard by its mythologically destined destroyer, Surtur. The character of Thor, I felt, was out of character, but the themes and plot of the film were incredibly dramatic.

Anyway, fingers crossed this film will be awesome.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #165
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Gemma Chan joins the cast. I really like her from Humans.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/captain-...va-1202303202/
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 AM   #166
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
As a longer time reader of her stories, the approach of developing the movie as a comedy doesn’t feel right to me. This article about Jessica Jones Season 2 has this quote from Jeph Loeb who says, “Marvel works best when you take things from real life and you put them through the Marvel prism...it feels like you’re watching a drama that has action and adventure and humor in it.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0...n%20avenger%20

So, again, I reserve judgment until I see the film and I absolutely hope that I love it as much as I love this character, but the approach to the movie as a comedy first at its core vs. the approach Loeb articulates just makes me worried.

Though people thing Thor: Ragnarok is a comedy, I feel it fits Loeb’s formula, which was the Lee/Kirby/Ditko formula when they launched Marvel Comics. The movie’s center involved the death of Odin, the resurrection of the Goddess of Death, and the destruction of all of Asgard by its mythologically destined destroyer, Surtur. The character of Thor, I felt, was out of character, but the themes and plot of the film were incredibly dramatic.

Anyway, fingers crossed this film will be awesome.
I think the interview with the screenwriter says it all. Marvel wants this movie to have its own identity apart from the other films in the cinematic universe and they are taking a cue from the tone of the latest series which is what current Carol Danvers comic fans are familiar with. Will they take it too far and make it too funny? We'll see.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #167
Vallos
Jubilee

It looks like Carol is the first hero Fury comes across. Also, they are building it to be a homage to 90's action films, whatever that means.

Feige Explains How Captain Marvel Alters MCU History
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #168
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
. Also, they are building it to be a homage to 90's action films, whatever that means.
hopefully it means lots of Nick Cage!
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #169
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
It looks like Carol is the first hero Fury comes across. Also, they are building it to be a homage to 90's action films, whatever that means.

Feige Explains How Captain Marvel Alters MCU History
Well that definitely makes me question her whereabouts when the planet was being attacked by aliens.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #170
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Well that definitely makes me question her whereabouts when the planet was being attacked by aliens.
This reminds me of the the lameness of the Sentry storyline from the comics. He was a brand new character created in the 2000's, but they tried to say that he'd been around longer than all of the original Marvel heroes who were created in the early 1960's. It just felt like it disregarded the long standing history of those characters so that the Sentry's creators could give him some fabricated gravitas in the Marvel Universe. I wonder if that's what they're trying to do here?
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote