Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Drinking and Driving

Well, just thought I'd share that one of my colleagues just lost his drivers license for a minimum of three years for a DUI leaving the mess after a nights work.

Alcohol, while far less than in the past, still plays a part within the military culture even for us part-timers. Largely, as an organization we have been remarkably (insanely) lucky that no one has been injured over the last 25 years I've been working. It used to common, more common than I can comfortably admit, that people would drive when they have had no business doing so. Today, as with society in general, we know better, but people still screw up. It bugs me particularly because I asked him on his way out if he was driving and he said that he wasn't and I took him at face value.

Now, on top of losing his license for 3-4 years depending on his alcohol level, he's out his primary source of employment at the unit as, while a rifleman by trade, he works most often as, you guessed it, a driver. After he gets his conditional license back, it comes with one of those ignition interlock devices that will put him out of pocket for about $10K over the course of the program. The unit also has the option of charging (fine or written reprimand) him for his shortcoming and lack of judgement.

Now, he's lucky. No one, including himself, was hurt. But, his life has hit a serious bump because of a mistake that could have so easily been avoided.

I am just frustrated and disappointed in him and myself. If you have any doubt about family or friends, take care of them as they may not be able to at the time.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Drink drivers (and drugged drivers) are the scourge of the roads, so no sympathy for your friend. I think the drink drive limit should be zero (or close to it, to allow for the alcohol in mouthwash or whatever) and anyone caught drink driving should lose their license forever, even on a first offence. Driving is not a human right, but I have the right to not be endangered by a selfish driver who is over the limit.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
MrYac
Hercules

no sympathy for me either. I got hit by a drunk a couple years back driving my girlfriend home, idiot hit us head on on the wrong side of the road. fortunately nobody was seriously hurt besides my poor truck I think it should be a 1 strike and you're out situation for sure, I know too many idiots with multiple DUI's and still allowed to drive, it's disgusting.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

No forgiveness here. Drunk driving is inexcusable. No way around it. Period.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

A wars worth are killed and maimed each year. Too many drink too damn much. I really don't know what the solution is but I think it's teaching kids to not grow up to drink so damn much.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I actually agree with the sentiment of those who posted. Before that first drink, while you are not influenced by the effects of alcohol is when you should be setting up your game plan for the night or travel. We know its criminally wrong to assume that you'll be alright to drive. Now, I am not saying that a single beer or glass or wine taken with a meal an hour or two before you head out is a problem, but it really has to be one drink an hour before.

If you're exhausted same reasoning. Even if you didn't drink and are just too tired to drive reactively then make other arrangements.

I feel bad for my friend and his situation, but I'd feel infinitely worse if he or someone was injured or killed.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #7
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Would be nice if you could "sleep it off" in your car. But I think you're liable to get a fine for that activity too.

Good thing your friend didn't hit anyone. That would follow them around the rest of their lives.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Gotta agree with everyone here. There was just a recent case maybe 20 mins from where I live where a drunk driver hit a van that was carrying an entire family. I'm pretty sure the couple lost both of their parents and all 3 children. Because this rich prick was drunk at 11am. Worse yet this guy is only getting 10 years which combined with time already served and good behavior (and his family's deep pockets) he will probably only be in jail 3-5 years. For erasing an entire family. Makes me so mad.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote