Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
anbarestani
Doh!

XM Studio VS Sideshow

I didnt know where to post this.

But here is my argument. Most of XM Studio pieces are made in Zbrush and 3D printed and Sideshow Premium statues are hand sculpted.
Both are casted, or in XM's case sometimes its all printed.
So how is it that XM studio pieces are double or triple the price of a sideshow premium?
I'm not dissing digital sculpting. If you consider, there are more hours invested into hand crafted item, it wont be as perfect as a Zbrush piece but that's the beauty of a handcrafted statue.
And yet XM charges people an arm and a leg.

Im open to explanations. Im new to this collecting thing, Im also a sculptor myself.
SO let me know what you think.

PS: Both companies hand paint their statues.
And we are ignoring the screw ups on both sides.
anbarestani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
CBro
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

XM studios really only charges like 200 dollars more per piece.

well it seems simple to me,

The thing is that the large edition sizes lets Sideshow make less money per piece and still turn up a profit. also the low dedicated low ES from XM also allows them to create a high demand low supply situation(and a lot of collectors like their low es).

this is coming from someone with no real insight to the business and thus cannot say I am right about any of this. just what I think
CBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

I think you'll find most Sideshow pieces are digitally sculpted as well, they just don't show the Zbrush WIP as often as XM do so everyone assumes Sideshow have hand sculpted each piece, plus they are very skilled at making a digital sculpt appear hand sculpted.

Here are some Sideshow digital sculpts - Skeletor, Red Sonya, new Spider man & Green Goblin PF's, New Hulk PF's, Lobo, Darth Vader Sith PF, Gamora, Oglavieal, Wonder Woman, Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman PF, Voltron, Bale Batman, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if around 90% of Sideshow statues are now digitally sculpted.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote