Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
You'll be pleased with the size if you're matching it with Bowens but you'll also notice a whole new level of detail if it's compared with Bowen. All my GG busts are larger and more detailed than their Bowen counterparts.
Truth to that.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Marvel GG busts are quietly becoming a good alternative to budget conscious Marvel fans that favor classic comic book designs. The larger scale helps justify the increase in price over your standard scale Star Wars bust.

Definitely something to consider for new collectors as $400+ Marvel Sideshow PFs are becoming less appealing (for me at least) as time goes on. Some things that work sometimes against Sideshow PFs are the execution (Cyclops) and capturing the essence of a classic (Silver Surfer). Absolutely unforgivable at their prices. Not to mention the inability to get the good PFs that were released about 6 years ago without taking a small loan.

Not saying GG busts are perfect 100% in comparison, but so far I can see there is a better understanding of classic designs at Gentle Giant or even Bowen at a more affordable and consistent rate of release.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Marvel GG busts are quietly becoming a good alternative to budget conscious Marvel fans that favor classic comic book designs. The larger scale helps justify the increase in price over your standard scale Star Wars bust.

Definitely something to consider for new collectors as $400+ Marvel Sideshow PFs are becoming less appealing (for me at least) as time goes on. Some things that work sometimes against Sideshow PFs are the execution (Cyclops) and capturing the essence of a classic (Silver Surfer). Absolutely unforgivable at their prices. Not to mention the inability to get the good PFs that were released about 6 years ago without taking a small loan.

Not saying GG busts are perfect 100% in comparison, but so far I can see there is a better understanding of classic designs at Gentle Giant or even Bowen at a more affordable and consistent rate of release.

I am loving the GG marvel busts . . they are amazingly well done . . . but I will defend the Sideshow Silver Surfer to my death . . . It is easily one of my favorite statues . . .
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
le Gardien
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Excellent vision
I will buy one
le Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post

JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
grphyx1
Kingpin

I actually got the Thing, The Hulk, Hawkeye, Moonknight, Venom, and Deadpool busts and they are really amazing. Didn't realize I had all those till I wrote them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1logan View Post
Never bought a GG Marvel product yet! I will buy this one! Dont Care what scale as long as its big! Going in with my Bowen Spidey villains!
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren3-4 View Post
I will defend the Sideshow Silver Surfer to my death . . . It is easily one of my favorite statues . . .
I compare it against the Bowen action sculpt (the best dynamic Surfer sculpt IMO) and it comes up short in terms of pose. Bowen's is classic Ron Lim Surfer and doesn't try to be too artsy to the point that it doesn't capture the character (for me). I also have issues with the anatomy (muscles in the torso area) and face sculpt on the Sideshow piece. It was a very easy pass and a shame as he is one of my favorites.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #28
Movieman
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Well lets just hope Gentle Giant puts out a Sliver Surfer bust that will blow Sideshow and Bowen away.
Movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #29
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I wonder how big this actually is? one site says it is 12", but don't see how that could be
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #30
Movieman
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomatrix99 View Post
I wonder how big this actually is? one site says it is 12", but don't see how that could be
I have a lot of Gentle Giant busts and the cool thing is that the bases on the regular sized characters are all the same height. The only difference is the width is different on some of the larger characters. By looking at it I imagine it will be about the same size as the Red and Green Hulk busts.
Movieman is offline   Reply With Quote