Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
Demona
Martian Manhunter

While I was in Maui last month, my husband and I went to the preserve where the rock from the opening of Jurassic Park resides. You can’t gey close unless by helicopter, so we saw it at a distance from land.

It wasn’t a planned visit, just a fun little find on our Hana Highway drive.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #12
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
While I was in Maui last month, my husband and I went to the preserve where the rock from the opening of Jurassic Park resides. You can’t gey close unless by helicopter, so we saw it at a distance from land.

I remember horse back riding by the log Alan and the kids hide behind during the stampede when I was there. It is pretty staggering how many movies and shows use Hawaii.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I remember horse back riding by the log Alan and the kids hide behind during the stampede when I was there. It is pretty staggering how many movies and shows use Hawaii.
Were you listening to the Jurassic Park theme?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #14
built2shred
Phoenix

I did visit the house from Top Gun several years ago because it wasn't that far from my parents house in Oceanside... It was the house Kelly McGillis character lived in.

The house was actually built in 1887...

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I doubt I'd ever plan vacations around such an idea, but that's something I'd more likely consider checking out for movies filmed in and around my hometown. Maybe expand from there if it's interesting enough.

samhain81, you implied you've been doing this. What are some others?
On the same trip, we saw Maximus' house. We also saw the Church in Montepulciano from Twilight New Moon (not a great film but was iconic as it was the first film my fiance and I saw together)

Went to Morocco where the slave/arena fights were in Gladiator.

Next year were finally going down to the Bourne Wood where alot of wood scenes in movies were filmed; Thor, Robin Hood and yeh you guessed it, Gladiator

Also booked a trip to Germany to go to the wolfgamg peterson museum, and ride on an original Falkorr from Never ending Story.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #16
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

No pics, but one of the scenes from the first X-Men movie was shot near Ajax, Ontario where my good friend lived at the time. It was the set where Magneto zaps the senator with the mutant ray. I got the call a little late to see the actual set, but went by as they were tearing it down. I still have a piece of the background rocks, pillaged from a dumpster while they were working. It's completely impossible to prove provenance, so essentially worthless, but I know where it came from and would never think of selling it anyway. Cool to have a piece from the movie that really started it all for modern Marvel films.

Also, my fiancée's parents live just a couple of miles from where Robin Hood/Kevin Costner landed on his return home from the wars in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". I've walked along that stretch of beach in Southern England many times.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
On the same trip, we saw Maximus' house. We also saw the Church in Montepulciano from Twilight New Moon (not a great film but was iconic as it was the first film my fiance and I saw together)

Went to Morocco where the slave/arena fights were in Gladiator.

Next year were finally going down to the Bourne Wood where alot of wood scenes in movies were filmed; Thor, Robin Hood and yeh you guessed it, Gladiator

Also booked a trip to Germany to go to the wolfgamg peterson museum, and ride on an original Falkorr from Never ending Story.
Cool. Gladiator and Neverending Story are good stuff. Sounds like you need to meet Russel Crowe and/or Ridley Scott... Any particular reason Gladiator resonates so much with you?

I assume you know Scott is making Gladiator 2?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

I was in L.A. many moons ago for a convention and decided to just check out the local architectural sites. Wound up going to the Bradbury Building where the original Blade Runner was filmed. It was difficult trying to un-imagine the highly renovated building as it contrasted with it's dilapidated state in the movie. Still pretty awesome though and the design was amazing and prior to touring the building I had always assumed it was named after SF writer Ray Bradbury, not Lewis L. Bradbury, who commissioned it.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote