Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #271
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
It?s just a matter of quality over quantity, or at least that?s what I like to tell myself when I?m spending in this price range.
Agree completely.
Even in 1/6, I eventually got in that mentality. Started to sell the multiple figures of the same character, and try to stick to just one representation of each character. Would buy custom pieces, or accessories, dioramas, backdrops, to make what I have standout.

As far as statues, its almost mandatory for me. My space is limited, and I dont want it like some collections I've seen where the room has no space due to too many statues. There are some that manages this well by making the room still look presentable. But I've also seen some collection where there is no rhyme or reason and just piles of statues everywhere, looks like a kid's room.
RemydaGambit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #272
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
He's slowly but surely being seduced by the dark side of collecting; movie pieces!
I used to collect original movie props. I got out of that hobby and refused to go back to anything movie related until I saw the JND pieces as I used to own a bunch of props from the Dark Knight series. I think I shouldn't have sold those off. LOL
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #273
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin23 View Post
So far, that FF6 Terra Prime 1 statue is the only collectible I've really wanted to purchase but crossed that threshold of being unreasonable at $15K.

I was willing to pay upwards of $5,000, maybe even $6,000 before the price was announced by Prime 1 statue. Part of me still wants to plunk down that $15K (since FF6 is my favorite game) but I have to draw the line somewhere since it is a slippery slope.

Limited to 600 @$15K each, reserved for just the top 1% class.

I don't believe the high collectible market has self-corrected yet, we're still in the midst of an golden era or renaissance.

The closest analogy is what happened in the comic book and sports card market crashing in the 1990s, but I think that decline was more due to product over-saturation, speculative investing and gimmicks (variant/foil/hologram covers) rather than unreasonable MSRP prices.
I don't think you can compare the comic book market in the 90's as they just kept printing alt covers and doing crossovers left and right to get people to buy. That said, I don't think this market can handle the constant increase in pricing, but I could be wrong. I do think we are getting there though just based off the sales speed of this piece.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #274
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin23 View Post
Overall, I like the Darkside Terminator sculpts but the paint apps are not up to par relative to the market.

At least not relative to the amazing improvements that companies like Queen/Prime 1 are doing with applying realistic paint apps to Polystone material in similar scales.

Also, Darkside prices are quite high - but I like T2 so much, I caved and PO'd the 1:4 statue and will highly pick up the 1:3 Arnie too that nearmint brought up.
Oh, I sort of agree - however, for the price that piece seems to have a lot of extras. I think Enterbay did a good figure from that scene - well, it looked good back then - not sure how it compares to today. Memory can be funny like that.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:32 AM   #275
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Not even JND's last three releases are sold out, despite what they'd have you believe.
I think there are some misconceptions when it comes to the point of being "sold out".

As an original product manufacturer - JND will plan to produce
(in this case) 1000 units. Regardless of who buys these units (private or retailer) - once those 1000 units have been allocated there are no more available - hence sold out. This isn't a lie, or a manipulation - it's a fact.

Now, I see many people saying the "sold out" is untrue - because you can buy it at a retailer. But, this is a completely different topic. It means the product is available.

Some will say, I'm playing semantics - but think of it like this. If all 1000 units were sold to private collectors - directly - no retailers are at all involved. Would you agree the product is sold out? - now, if some of those collectors, for whatever reason - decided they wanted to sell the piece on eBay (for example) - we would still consider the statue as sold out, but we would say it's available on the secondary market...

The thing that's important here! In both scenarios (retailer sales, or "secondary market" sales) - the situation for JND is exactly the same.

This is what sold out means to JND - and every other Original Product Manufacturer
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:54 AM   #276
Exorcist
Hydra

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think there are some misconceptions when it comes to the point of being "sold out".

(in this case) 1000 units. Regardless of who buys these units (private or retailer) - once those 1000 units have been allocated there are no more available - hence sold out. This isn't a lie, or a manipulation - it's a fact.

Now, I see many people saying the "sold out" is untrue - because you can buy it at a retailer. But, this is a completely different topic. It means the product is available.

Some will say, I'm playing semantics - but think of it like this. If all 1000 units were sold to private collectors - directly - no retailers are at all involved. Would you agree the product is sold out? - now, if some of those collectors, for whatever reason - decided they wanted to sell the piece on eBay (for example) - we would still consider the statue as sold out, but we would say it's available on the secondary market...

The thing that's important here! In both scenarios (retailer sales, or "secondary market" sales) - the situation for JND is exactly the same.

This is what sold out means to JND - and every other Original Product Manufacturer
Agreed!
Exorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:26 AM   #277
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:

I would hope most everyone here knows all this. Just as you're aware of the point being made when it's brought up.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:08 AM   #278
Exorcist
Hydra

Cool

Quote:
I would hope most everyone here knows all this. Just as you're aware of the point being made when it's brought up.
Looking at the responses, unfortunately many collectors do not
Exorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:16 AM   #279
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:

Unfortunately in the statue hobby over the years we have had some questionable business practices. PCS products used to sell out within hours yet mysteriously be available upon release and Sideshow are renowned for Waitlisting items and then suddenly becoming available again for preorder. So unfortunately customers become dubious based on their past experience
FETTFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:53 AM   #280
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Actually, with regards to JND, I don't see any point being made. I just see confusion with regards to "sold out" and "availability". People seem to be offended when JND factually state that the statue sold out in 1 hr 15mins - as if they're lying, or trying to create some kind of hype around the product.....in reality, why would they lie? And what use is hype to them, when the the statue is fully sold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETTFAN View Post
Unfortunately in the statue hobby over the years we have had some questionable business practices. PCS products used to sell out within hours yet mysteriously be available upon release and Sideshow are renowned for Waitlisting items and then suddenly becoming available again for preorder. So unfortunately customers become dubious based on their past experience.
That definitely seems like a clumsy attempt at manipulation - but so far, I haven't seen JND do this.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote