Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Question: Sculpting Medium For 1/4 Sculpts

So I have been seriously considering getting my feet wet when it comes to sculpting, and the thing is I wanted to work with bigger sculpts so as to A) give myself more room to Practise and add smaller details, B) make pieces for myself that are in a scale that I would display with some of my SSC PFs. So I have some basic questions.

1) what medium would you use for a large scale figure like a Hulk or even a 1/4 Spiderman

2) What would you use for a base like rocks or a wall.

Just curious gentlemen and ladies. I am looking at Super Sculpey, but I was wondering if there are other medium you would suggest.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Monster Clay is awesomeness. Aves epoxy sculpt is a much needed tool. It has a short work time but it has every other property you would want or need in a sculpting environment.
For the base theres so many options. try hitting youtube for VinceVell customs he has a lot to offer in knowledge and experience.
There is also more than one kind of sculpey if you were not aware. Depending on whether you want to bake the piece or do a cast for resin might make a difference in your choice of mediums.
Armatures as well can be made variously but from what ive heard and seen wrapping up tinfoil for building up the armature especially with a baking clay is a no no you will get cracks.

Thats the majority of my knowledge there hope it helps some.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Monster Clay is awesomeness. Aves epoxy sculpt is a much needed tool. It has a short work time but it has every other property you would want or need in a sculpting environment.
For the base theres so many options. try hitting youtube for VinceVell customs he has a lot to offer in knowledge and experience.
There is also more than one kind of sculpey if you were not aware. Depending on whether you want to bake the piece or do a cast for resin might make a difference in your choice of mediums.
Armatures as well can be made variously but from what ive heard and seen wrapping up tinfoil for building up the armature especially with a baking clay is a no no you will get cracks.

Thats the majority of my knowledge there hope it helps some.
Thanks Sith... I am such a newb... I truly know nothing other then the few tutorials I have watched. It is odd about the tinfoil as I have seen it recommended here. I will have to go back and check what medium it was used with.

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Thanks Sith... I am such a newb... I truly know nothing other then the few tutorials I have watched. It is odd about the tinfoil as I have seen it recommended here. I will have to go back and check what medium it was used with.

Thanks again
Hey No problem im a n00b as well. My understanding of it was that the tinfoil eventually does not hold the weight of the clay and will fold in. The baking process heats up the foil and creates air pockets inside the sculpt which also leads to cracks. I have seen it used time and again in pictures as well so maybe it is ok to use depending on variables. Like i said i dont know much just throwing out there what Ive seen and heard from the forums here and elsewhere.
Plenty of talent here try reading through the forums lots of stickies on everything. Eventually someone who really knows their profession will usually chime in here and help ya out more than I can.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
gomur
The Tick

Exciting news, Spidey976! I can't wait to see your first attempt at sculpting. I'm on the verge of starting myself. Right now I'm collecting some tools of the trade. However, my scale is going to be 1/6 in line with the majority of my collection.

Thanks for the insight, Sithlord32. I haven't heard any cons about using foil in armatures, so I'm glad you mentioned it. From what you've said, if you're going to let an epoxy clay cure overnight, then foil shouldn't be an issue because there's no heating involved, right?

Choosing between polymer and epoxy clays is what I'm wrapping my head around at the moment. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but which is best for a beginner? I would assume polymer clay because it gives me more time to practice with my tools (for the first time) without worrying about the clay hardening.

Also, is it possible (or common) for these different mediums to be combined? Maybe a rough skeleton for the statue molded from epoxy and then fine-tuned with polymer?
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I too have had problems using foil to bulk up, cracks, bad ones!! So I have started using epoxy putty to bulk up on the armature, it keeps arms and legs good and stiff so there are no stress cracks later, I have been using plumbers epoxy putty that you cut off the stick and kneed together, but that is becoming expensive, need to invest in some aves.
Just remember to leave enough room for at least 3/16" clay at the knees and elbows, wrists, anywhere the anatomy of your sculpt gets thin, I have found that thin layers of Sculpy will crack if moved around too much.
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Exciting news, Spidey976! I can't wait to see your first attempt at sculpting. I'm on the verge of starting myself. Right now I'm collecting some tools of the trade. However, my scale is going to be 1/6 in line with the majority of my collection.

Thanks for the insight, Sithlord32. I haven't heard any cons about using foil in armatures, so I'm glad you mentioned it. From what you've said, if you're going to let an epoxy clay cure overnight, then foil shouldn't be an issue because there's no heating involved, right?

Choosing between polymer and epoxy clays is what I'm wrapping my head around at the moment. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but which is best for a beginner? I would assume polymer clay because it gives me more time to practice with my tools (for the first time) without worrying about the clay hardening.

Also, is it possible (or common) for these different mediums to be combined? Maybe a rough skeleton for the statue molded from epoxy and then fine-tuned with polymer?
The combining is what I was wondering about as well... If we can combine mediums and how. Thanks for the encouragement gomur. I am kind of nervous about taking on a new artistic challenge, but excited as well. This is my work, and the thought of bringing it to a 3D medium is SO exciting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreeman View Post
I too have had problems using foil to bulk up, cracks, bad ones!! So I have started using epoxy putty to bulk up on the armature, it keeps arms and legs good and stiff so there are no stress cracks later, I have been using plumbers epoxy putty that you cut off the stick and kneed together, but that is becoming expensive, need to invest in some aves.
Just remember to leave enough room for at least 3/16" clay at the knees and elbows, wrists, anywhere the anatomy of your sculpt gets thin, I have found that thin layers of Sculpy will crack if moved around too much.
That is a lot of help i need to get me some more info and stuff to experiment with...LOL.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Milliput epoxy is very good to work with also, I like the yellow best, easier to tell when its mixed correctly and just seems easier to work with than the white, I use it to make weapons or parts on sculpts that have all ready been baked, (I use Super Sculpey atm), I am making some wolverine claws right now with it. Get it at Hobby Lobby or on line.
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Chavant NSP (non sulphur) clays are pretty useful for sculpts of any size, even large ones. They come also in a number of hardness: Soft, Medium and Hard
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Hey folks... Two cents here... I use super sculpt and aves occasionally. I always use armatures and I always bulk with tin foil. You will only get cracks if you get lazy. Every armature I've made is wrapped tightly with foil and then again tightly with thinner aluminum wire. If you loosely wrap it, and then don't knead and pack on sculpey sufficiently you may get some cracks.
The wolverine posted in the sculptors corner, is 1/4...an packed with ALOT of foil. I got 1 minor crack behind the knee after baking.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote