jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Awwww....so darned cute.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #132
Augen
The Hulk

Digital Coloring by Marc Huizinga of my commissioned ink by Marc Huizinga

Been a long time coming and worth the wait. I am planning to do a print and frame the original to become part of the Diana section of my collection.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #133
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

WOW, very nice!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #134
Demona
Martian Manhunter

That piece looks great, Augen! I'm still waiting for my turn to be called with Marc, but I'm patient

Also, I missed the posted on the adopted kitties. Cats are my fave and mine is a rescue too. As are my dogs. One big furry family over here! In some of my Catwoman pieces I had the artist put in a cat that looked like my first rescue, Zanzibar.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #135
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
That piece looks great, Augen! I'm still waiting for my turn to be called with Marc, but I'm patient

Also, I missed the posted on the adopted kitties. Cats are my fave and mine is a rescue too. As are my dogs. One big furry family over here! In some of my Catwoman pieces I had the artist put in a cat that looked like my first rescue, Zanzibar.
I got back on the queue with him for another. I'm hopeful to get it sometime next year. Like statues, patience is key.

Aww, that's sweet. I'm a sucker for cats and get about two minutes after I sit anywhere before they sleep on me.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #136
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Nero and I play video games together. I go up to my geek room and he lays out the entire length of my legs. Toasty boy which is great in the winter!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #137
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

Wow, I really enjoyed scrolling through this thread. Thank you Augen for sharing all these!

I would love to hear more about how you found and connected with all these folks to commission work. I have been really liking the idea of having some original quality work of my favorite characters.

I tried to engage with a few folks online I found randomly through IG or some of those sites that pair up artists with folks, and have had generally mediocre results. Your results are clearly much better than I have found. Those by Daniele Torres are excellent!

I'd also like to hear more about how you come up with, and decide on, the ideas you share with artists about what to do. Clearly you often start with Power Girl as a favorite, but how about the emotions and poses?

Thanks again Augen, looking forward to what you share in the future!
ClaraVoyent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #138
Augen
The Hulk

In terms of a core spot to start, Deviant Art has a ton of artists and can see about commissions and who has style that appeals to you. The tricky part is once an artist gets into demand their time and criteria can become strict. You have to be patient and measure aspect in months with many of them.

Daniele Torres is through the Ed Benes school and she was such a dream to work with. Constant communication and rapid turn around. So I bought more...and more...and more from here because I wanted to reward her. They do eBay auctions for pieces, and you email them through a middle man to discuss commissions.

I have had some poor commission experiences. I think the key is based off artists work they resonate with your tastes. So, I look up Power Girl art and that is easy jumping off point to have them do more as clearly know the character.

I will say commission rates have gone up quite a bit over past four years. One artist quoted me a price, the pandemic hit and then when my turn came up stated be 4X the original quote so I had to back out. My commissions will become far less frequent as you cannot get many to do much without splashing the cash now.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #139
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

That's really interesting about looking up artists that have done a character before, I never looked at it that way. I was always thinking "well, they already did that character, so asking them to do it again might be insulting, like I don't like the one they already did." Interesting approach, maybe I should look at it differently.

I have noticed the pricing, and it's sort of another challenge in the whole landscape. First, it is important to of course agree that one needs to be willing to pay for quality. These artists deal with a lot of stuff, and I'm sure plenty of people looking for freebies, or offering that dreaded word, "exposure." Ugh.

Unfortunately, the "don't work for free, you're worth a billion dollars" mantra almost grew to meme level, and the pendulum has swung too far. The real pros that have spent a lot of time dedicated to the craft have had to raise their prices to maintain their value because, in all honesty, there are now too many people out there charging way too much. Sorry, but taking 1 semester of art in middle school doesn't mean you should now be charging Jim Lee prices. I'm exaggerating a bit, of course, but if I see one more person charging $250 for waist-up Sonic the Hedgehog mashups in Microsoft Paint, I'm going to lose it.

That said, part of the fun in searching so far, for me, has been trying to find the artists that are newer, or the non-recognizable names, and supporting them. Ah, the hunt continues!
ClaraVoyent is offline   Reply With Quote