Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
A better question is when did he become a she.
Here you go.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonder
Kosmos & Maker
The tale of the Beyonder continued several years later in an issue of the Fantastic Four, in a story called "Secret Wars 3". The characters learned that the energy which comprised the Beyonder and the energy that gave the Molecule Man his powers needed to be combined in order to create the basis for a mentally stable, mature nigh-omnipotent being to be born. This being, called Kosmos, expelled the Molecule Man from her form, and returned him to Earth. Kosmos took on female form and tutored under Kubik. When the Molecule Man's lover, Volcana, left him, Owen Reece got angry, extracted the Beyonder from Kosmos and proceeded to attack him, until Kubik intervened.

At some unknown point, Kosmos went mad and assumed a mortal form, now calling itself the Maker. After the Maker destroyed a Shi'ar colony, the Imperial Guard managed to imprison it in the interstellar prison called the Kyln. The Maker's madness took control of several inmates, but was finally subdued by the nihilist Thanos and several of his allies among the prisoners. Thanos confronted the Maker and psychically shut down its mind.

Apparently, Thanos had encountered the Beyonder in the past, but this was never explained, as Thanos was dead at the time of Secret Wars II (of course, one of the Beyonder's many powers included Time Travel as well, so a past meeting with a younger Thanos of Titan would have been entirely possible). Thanos' flashback showed Thanos as a youngster. This may have been a plot writer Keith Giffen would have elaborated on in the future.
This is the issue with the story titled "Secret Wars 3". I have to dig out my copy but I dont think this is the issue where he becomes a woman.

Kosmos/Beyonder also shows up in issue 351.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #22
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
How could The Beyonder possibly be killed? (Primal, a problem on my computer is making accessing links impossible so I can't read your reference if it's different than the quote in your post).
The Beyonder is heavily depowered since his/her Secret Wars days.
The link points to the thread with the quote.

Quote:
And, in addition, who's running the show in the "Beyond" mini series if The Beyonder's dead?

Is this series trade-worthy? I may have to pick it up as a trade, if so.
It seemed like the old Beyonder was back since the heroes in "Beyond" were being transported to Battleworld in the same constructs as the original. And the voice of the Beyonder showed up uttering the same words as the original to start off the series.

Now it seems the Space Phantom is involved somehow.

Which series are you referring to for TPB? Annihilation or Beyond?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm reading and reviewing Beyond now. Yes, the Space Phantom is involved. He was donated by Immortus to the Beyonder as a kind of peace offering so the Beyonder would leave him (Immortus) alone.

I was referring to Annihilation. Is it trade-worthy? Do we think it'll be a single trade or several based on the different sub components (like Silver Surfer, etc.)?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
I'm reading and reviewing Beyond now. Yes, the Space Phantom is involved. He was donated by Immortus to the Beyonder as a kind of peace offering so the Beyonder would leave him (Immortus) alone.

Quote:
I was referring to Annihilation. Is it trade-worthy?
Do we think it'll be a single trade or several based on the different sub components (like Silver Surfer, etc.)?
IMO if you like cosmic characters it`s worthy but also IMO the story is weak.
I skip everything with nova,ronan,drax and quasar and only read parts with thanos,galactus and the heralds.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I like cosmic characters alot but I like a good story more. Thanks, L.O. I'll have to think about this one...
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #26
Primal
Batman

Quote:

I was referring to Annihilation. Is it trade-worthy? Do we think it'll be a single trade or several based on the different sub components (like Silver Surfer, etc.)?
So far it's been a lot of big battles left & right in the main series. Some of it has been entertaining, especially Galactus' big battle in the first issue. And still waiting to see what Thanos has up his sleeve allying himself with Annihilus. So it has promise as a trade...and it's not over yet.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #27
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
So far it's been a lot of big battles left & right in the main series. Some of it has been entertaining, especially Galactus' big battle in the first issue. And still waiting to see what Thanos has up his sleeve allying himself with Annihilus. So it has promise as a trade...and it's not over yet.
We all know Thanos doesn`t play second to anybody except maybe death I can`t wait til he opens up a can of raid on that bug.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #28
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
We all know Thanos doesn`t play second to anybody except maybe death I can`t wait til he opens up a can of raid on that bug.
Now THANOS v ANNIHILUS is gonna kick ass if it happens.

Especially after seeing what he did to Quasar, I didnt realize how powerful Annihilus was.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 AM   #29
twisterred
Luke Cage

Definitely get it as a trade. With that said, I have been getting all of the individual issues and while it hasn't the knock yer socks off attitude it has been better than the alot of the standard fare that hits the racks on a regular basis. It certianly isn't on par with Civil War or Agents of Atlas but the long term ramifications might actually mean something for once. After all the Silver Surfer has been defaulted to his old herald mentality which should be interesting as the series progresses and he takes an active part again.
twisterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #30
Primal
Batman

This was definitely Drax's issue...and what an issue it was! Motivations are finally revealed...& holy crap that ending! And the surprise cameo witness to that ending. !