Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #221
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
It's not that anyone has a contrary opinion here.

It's that they choose to support that subjective preference by claiming something totally inaccurate, and which Conehead has been proving is false, repeatedly, with multiple examples.

*snip*
Every character has been depicted in countless ways. That doesn't mean every single depiction is representative of what the character is like. Batman has been drawn smiling or laughing. Does that mean it would make for a statue that would appeal to a wide part of his fanbase? I'm sure someone would buy it but that doesn't suddenly make it a good idea.

It's ridiculous that I have to say this, but providing ONE example of a character being drawn in the specific way a person is trying to defend/justify doesn't mean they're proving a point. It just means "it's happened". Oh "it's happened", let make a giant super expensive statue out of it. I'll spare the forum and not post a hundred images of Galactus doing the EXACT OPPOSITE.

The only reason Sideshow will see success with this statue is because they're the only game in town making Galactus statues. They know there are collectors hungry enough to throw money at them despite whatever art direction they take.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #222
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Every character has been depicted in countless ways. That doesn't mean every single depiction is representative of what the character is like. Batman has been drawn smiling or laughing. Does that mean it would make for a statue that would appeal to a wide part of his fanbase? I'm sure someone would buy it but that doesn't suddenly make it a good idea.

It's ridiculous that I have to say this, but providing ONE example of a character being drawn in the specific way a person is trying to defend/justify doesn't mean they're proving a point. It just means "it's happened". Oh "it's happened", let make a giant super expensive statue out of it. I'll spare the forum and not post a hundred images of Galactus doing the EXACT OPPOSITE.

The only reason Sideshow will see success with this statue is because they're the only game in town making Galactus statues. They know there are collectors hungry enough to throw money at them despite whatever art direction they take.
And because it's an awesome looking statue.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #223
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
And because it's an awesome looking statue.
If you think so then you'll be a happy customer. I personally need perfection at the prices statues have reached these days. Unfortunately for me this isn't that.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #224
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
If you think so then you'll be a happy customer. I personally need perfection at the prices statues have reached these days. Unfortunately for me this isn't that.

Curious, but what do you consider perfection, if that is a real thing?
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #225
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #226
adee
Green Arrow

I've read more Silver Surfer comics than I can count and this pose seems very fitting of the character to me.

Not liking the pose and saying it isn't accurate are two different things. There have already been numerous examples posted and I know there are a lot more where he's pictured in a similar pose and manner.

I understand the complaints on wanting his head to look straight on for display purposes but big G looking to the heavens as he conjures the power cosmic certainly isn't anything new.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #227
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Odds are that Galactus will have a switch-out portrait to satisfy most. As for the pose(?), brilliant, whether depicted in the all mighty comic or not. Conveys power, control, & grace.

People b!tch about this subtle/stoic Galactus pose, and yet get a hard-on for bloated, stiff character poses like Prime Hush Bats & Superman, which look like they literally have a stick stuck up their arses, or worse! A fcking shame, but no worries, as the giant has been awakened, and these subtle masterpieces will continue, & thrive.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #228
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
In this case, have it look and feel like the character. This one looks the part but doesn't feel like it. Nothing is "perfect". However, it's clear when something could have been better. To me having a character that is always looking down on everyone else frozen in time looking up is odd. So if it's odd to me it means it clearly could have been better... to me. Ergo not perfect.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #229
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Odds are that Galactus will have a switch-out portrait to satisfy most. As for the pose(?), brilliant, whether depicted in the all mighty comic or not. Conveys power, control, & grace.

People b!tch about this subtle/stoic Galactus pose, and yet get a hard-on for bloated, stiff character poses like Prime Hush Bats & Superman, which look like they literally have a stick stuck up their arses, or worse! A fcking shame, but no worries, as the giant has been awakened, and these subtle masterpieces will continue, & thrive.
you completely invalidated the point you were trying to make by bashing the Prime 1 HUSH Bats & Sups. there is nothing shameful about those pieces...try again.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #230
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I've read more Silver Surfer comics than I can count and this pose seems very fitting of the character to me.

Not liking the pose and saying it isn't accurate are two different things. There have already been numerous examples posted and I know there are a lot more where he's pictured in a similar pose and manner.

I understand the complaints on wanting his head to look straight on for display purposes but big G looking to the heavens as he conjures the power cosmic certainly isn't anything new.
This is the only way I can understand this pose, but does he really "conjure the power cosmic" by "looking to the heavens"? I can see I haven't read as many Silver Surfer/Galactus content as you have, so this is a sincere question. I've never seen him have to pause and look up to conjure anything. You make it sound like it occurs often.