Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 03-14-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

Poison Ivy "Women of the DCU" Bust Review

Well, it seems my Mondays now include me doing statue reviews,and I'm booked for the next few weeks. And thanks in advance to forum member batman1180 for taking such awesome pics of the bust, I couldn't help but use them compared to my own very meager pics. The last one is mine, though.

This week we focus on the second entry to the "Women of the DCU" bust line, Poison Ivy (sculpted by John G. Mathews, who seems to be sculpting nearly everything for DC nowadays). Its has been a long while since any Poison Ivy bust/statue has been released, so she makes a very welcome addition to this line. But for any on the fence about this whole series, will Poison Ivy be the bust that will convince you to start collecting?

Bust Concept
Like the Wonder Woman bust, the original sketches by Adam Hughes are plastered all over the box the bust comes with, and my are they are a beauty! With arms crossed, Poison Ivy is in a sexy yet defiant pose that just works well with the character. The design of the hair is especially a nice touch, as seems more of an wild rose bush than anything else. But, how did the concept translate to real life?

The Sculpt
As far as the sculpt goes, we have another adequate bust for the line. Poison Ivy sure is shapely, and indeed looks better from behind than from in front, and she is nearly popping out of her top. The triangular base works well; she has definately been placed on an ivy-laced pedestal. But unfortantely the bust has some problems. For one, her arms are a bit too thin for her body, especialy when compared to her huge breasts. The hair also isn't nearly as nice as it appears in the concept Instead of being wild and everywhere, it is a much more normal hair styel, very similar to Wonder Woman's. While it still looks nice, I would have liked to see it sculpted in the way the concept rendered it.

The Paint-Job
Now the paint job I have some problems with. While Poison Ivy certainly has been drawn in many shades during her comic run, going for the ultra-pale green doesn't work as well as others skin colors might have been. Too little green to go for that clorophyl-like skin color Jim Lee uses, too much to go for a normal skin shade. She actually appears she needs a tan more than anything else. As you can see by the last picture, she reflects the flash very much with all the white paint. Her hair color is good ,but it would have been nice to go for a brighter red color. Other than that, the base and the green outfit are painted well. And I do like the green eye shadow and red lipstick painted on her face. Nice touches.

Over-All Value
Again, lets start with the good news. This bust is perfectly in scale with Wonder Woman, and the two look like the first two solid pieces in a great set. And honestly the two definatley look like they'll stand out in your collection.

However, those who think the Wonder Woman was too small and too expensive probably ($45.00 msrp) won't change their mind with Ivy. I peronsally think the line will hit its stride with Catwoman, and that those on the fence may then decide to collect the set then.

Conclusion
I'm doubting Poison Ivy will change any minds about the Women of the DCU line. Those who are fans (like me) will enjoy the piece and look forward to the big hitters down the line. They'll over look the smallness of the bust and be happy as more busts are released. Those who have problems with the line won't have their mind changed by this one. While I personally like the piece, I can't give this bust more than three out of five stars. But, since I thought this would be the weakest of the line, it does give me confidence that Catwoman will rock!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review B_C. Is the skin supposed to be so white? Or is it just the picture?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

The arms are thin, and the boobs "false" looking, but its a sexy little thing all the same!
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks for the review , I'll be picking this one up !!
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Nice review B_C. Is the skin supposed to be so white? Or is it just the picture?
Her skin color is all over the place. Ross has her a bit paler, like here, but I always liked the way she was colored in hush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
The arms are thin, and the boobs "false" looking, but its a sexy little thing all the same!
Exactly!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
polystoner
Sinister Six

Thanks for these reviews, I'm one of those who really want to like these, but I'm not compelled yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Poison Ivy sure is shapely, and indeed looks better from behind than from in front.
Truer words were never written!
polystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Jesse321
Galactus

Concept & Sculpt =

Paint =

Overall value =

Conclusion ... why anyone is wasting thier time and hard earned money on this crap line is beyond me.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
Concept & Sculpt =

Paint =

Overall value =

Conclusion ... why anyone wasting thier time and hard earned money on this crap line is beyond me.
For once I agree with you.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
Concept & Sculpt =

Paint =
Overall value =

Conclusion ... why anyone wasting thier time and hard earned money on this crap line is beyond me.
See, like I said, this one won't change any minds on the line.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Maybe the slightly thin arms are just this sculptors style. Good photos, great line (except hawkgirl imo) catwoman and harley will hot things up, people will be all over them like a rash then.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote