Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #531
Peedi
The Secret Six

And after I read these 2 posts, there was no point in reading anymore. You two summed it up and nailed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
And if you're trying to prove how right you are ...you can't. It's all subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
Comparison is bullĀ§&%... this is the display to own:

In fact, XM Phoenix is the first statue every guest in my house - even my parents - have that big WOW-effect. And for the first time I heard words like "now I understand why these things do cost so much..."

Some will like XM. Some will like ss. A few will have both. Us winners will have all 3 (ss Jean). Opinions.

Ultimately I want this Dark Phoenix, I'm going to PO it (later, a few other things to PO first like JL PFs and Wolverine), and I will line her up with the other 1/4 Jeans. And they will look awesome.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #532
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
LOL!
For a 1/4 Juggernaut statue I always make room even if it would mean that I would have to sell my couch and sit on the floor.
Once you have become a fan of Juggernaut you are in it for life so this big behemoth will always find a place underneath my roof.

Let's hope Juggy is on his way Supermetroid!

Rainer
Have you ever thought about getting your own custom Juggernaut loveseat?

You could rest comfortably in his big arms and hands.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #533
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
You're right, it's the same. It's after-market appreciation due to demand. But my point is, when this Dark Phoenix goes up, collectors who have neither have to choose between paying $500 for this one, or $1000+ for the XM. Many will still choose the latter, which is fine. But saying the Sideshow piece isn't worth $500 because the XM piece is only $150 more doesn't make sense because that option ($650 XM Phoenix) isn't there for collectors anymore.

It's always funny to me how collectors completely ignore the secondary market when talking about prices. Everyone talks like value is an objective, measurable thing, ignoring the fact that the existence of the secondary market, and pieces like Doom selling for 10x+ original retail, completely blows that idea out of the water. I remember when Doom was first shown, when the PF line was new, and $300 was a hard sell. Imagine if Sideshow tried to retail the Doom for $2500 from the jump?
Prime 1 don't seem to have any problems selling their stuff.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #534
supermetroid
Teen Titans

lmao! Seriously though, we need a 1/4 Juggy from SS and/or XM.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #535
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Prime 1 don't seem to have any problems selling their stuff.
Don't know about that, SS is still trying to sell Prime 1's Megatron (ES 500) and it's been up for sale for a very long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
lmao! Seriously though, we need a 1/4 Juggy from SS and/or XM.
XM was making one but it got put on hold due to Marvel vs Fox conflict...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #536
enigmatikone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
THIS IS JUST BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE THOUGH. I don't expect anybody to agree.
I agree.
I don't discount anyone's experience with a statue purchase. It doesn't matter if 8,999 of a Wonder Woman release are flawless when you got the 9000th one with the "Why so serious" gouge in the face.
That's a 100% fail to the collector affected.

I can bounce between shops in Austin and Houston and visually inspect before buying, but not everyone has that option available.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #537
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I agree with you on XM female portraits, they defiantly need to improve in that area... It's a little bazaar since their latest male portraits look outstanding... I will say the new XM Catwoman portraits look pretty awesome so here's hoping things will change for the better.
And their new She-Hulk and Medusa heads as well. I still think to this day the new She-Hulk is the best female portrait I have seen. That's a fine ass looking green woman. Whoa momma!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #538
COI

Quote:
Absolutely...but I am of a different breed that doesn't believe in price gouging people. I'd even sell it for cost plus how much it cost me to ship it to whereever it needed to go.

As far as how much it costs, I don't pretend there is no disparity in price between the said products....but I think it unfair when you are bringing up prices of a product at PO time vs. after market pricing. Just about any quality and RARE (that is the big word here for me) collectible statue goes up significantly in value after it has been out on the market for some time.

I think it sad that some who like XM products can never acquire it due to licensing restrictions and price gouging aftermarket sellers. But have you ever looked at others situation outside of US when trying to buy SS products? They face the same thing you are bringing up with buying XM or any other company's (non-US) product.

Here is the kicker for me...if I was not in the US...and had the choice or chance to buy an XM or SS product....I would go with the XM in a heartbeat because I know the quality will be there, plus I get lots more goodies and more solid packaging to boot....AND YES ALL THAT IS IMPORTANT. The bottom line is....I would be paying top dollar for either SS or XM product. Instead of just paying $550+ dollars for Phoenix....I would be paying $850 dollars or however much it costs to get a product of this value overseas.
I agree, and see where you're coming from with everything you said except the part in bold. It's not unfair because it's the reality for every collector going forward. The fair market value of the XM Phoenix is double the retail price of Sideshow's Phoenix; to someone looking to buy a Phoenix today, and going forward, their choice is $500 vs $1000. That will absolutely affect how people feel about one or the other by comparison. A few posts back, someone just said that $650 for the XM was perfect for them, but any more would have been too much; for you, it wouldn't have been. No one is right or wrong, it's an individual thing. But if you have neither, you have to decide if the XM piece is worth $500-$700 more than the Sideshow, as opposed to $150-$200 more. That's going to alter some people's perceptions.

Otherwise, like I said, I'm down with everything else you wrote, and I'm glad you got a great piece at a great price.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #539
enigmatikone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
And their new She-Hulk and Medusa heads as well. I still think to this day the new She-Hulk is the best female portrait I have seen. That's a fine ass looking green woman. Whoa momma!
You're talking about this one, right?

Yep, she's pretty damned hot, and I prefer her physique ( more Hulkish )

Still, I'm hunting for this one and I'll eventually get her

enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #540
loricstone
Kang

This is why I am happy that SS is making such a nice looking Phoenix. Knowing how wanted the character is...and not being able to acquire an XM one has now enabled those to be able to finally get her in 1/4 scale (albeit she is not the green one). I actually am happy for those that can get it.

I think I will acquire this one because it is obviously apparent XM is not doing anymore X-men / FF characters as long as the Disney / Fox situation is ongoing. Add to the fact this is full sculpted...it will fit rather fine with the rest of my XM line. I still am contemplating getting Sabretooth as well because XM won't be making him either since he is a mutant.

Man that really sucks...know that I am thinking about it.