Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #351
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Its official. The ES on this should be 27 exclusives and 45 regulars with all this backlash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I honestly don't see much difference with these $500 PF's then the $350 PF's we had a few years back...just getting to expensive..
Agree with you gentlemen. She's a beautiful statue but $500 is just beyond pricey.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #352
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I'd like to know the reason why the cost is so high?
What has changed?
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #353
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideShowJoe View Post
I don't know why but I feel the base is not that great and feels cheap to me... I like this statue but really couldn't justify $550 for this piece ! I'm sure there is many who love this but you just need to justify and ask if the price is worth it in the end! Now that the new norm of pricing statues is among us everyone will be more cautious before ordering pieces I think!!

Sarah
I agree.... You might get $500-$600 for a 1st Tier Characters like Batman or Superman if it's an awesome looking statue, but I doubt many will want to pay $550 for a 2nd/3rd Tier Character.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #354
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This is actually how I feel. The sad part is now that I've recently passed on three different statues that I would have purchased at $400, I feel like I've crossed over into a "don't need this" zone. It's become easier to pass on pieces. Think of it like surviving the first week of having quit smoking. It gets easier to say "no" once you've done so a few times. I imagine I'm not alone.

Instead of getting me to pay $1200 for 3 statues, they're getting $0. That $1200 (or $1500, depending on your perspective) will either be spent somewhere else or remain in my pocket.

P.S. Also, at this level of pricing, I imagine fans would likely feel compelled to scrutinize the final product even more than usual. I sure hope those willing to pay $500 plus taxes/shipping are getting what they think they paid for.
The hard part is that SS makes so many statues...and at a higher asking price....it becomes harder to bite...especially if you know other companies (Prime 1, XM, etc.) are going to make the same character in the near future. Why bite on a $500 statue now when chances are there will be something better to come.

That's at least the way I can see some legitimately justifying not jumping the SS train.

There is a reason why I did not bite on the Sabretooth, Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #355
doeboy
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

That's a beautiful statue but the base leaves a lot to be desired. I also like the dynamic pose. It's too bad that the price for these statues suddenly skyrocketed. I'm quickly losing interest in buying anymore. It use to be justifiable since you could sell it for a little more than what you paid for but now it's questionable whether you'll get a decent ROI. I find myself passing up a lot more statues and pretty soon will probably quit the hobby since I'm pretty happy with what I got and can't justify paying at these prices. I think my new hobby will be to watch other people buy these statues and watch their reviews on youtube.
doeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #356
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

ROI is a poor reason to buy mass produced collectibles! Maybe try buying OOAK art sculpture!!! Much more investment potential.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #357
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It's interesting to see the change in tone over $50. I wonder how many of the people passing at $500 would've actually bit at $450? I'm not doubting anyone, just curious as to what effect $50 can have on a $500 purchase decision. If it does indeed deter a lot of people, that's a clear sign that SS is hitting the ceiling on PF pricing.

Then again, how many people who buy these statues hang out on forums and pay attention to previews on the blog? Because if you didn't see the preview, the $50 thing wouldn't weigh in on the decision.

Too bad we can't ever get concrete answers for any of this. Even if the ES ends up low, it's impossible to determine what impact this error had, if any.
Agreed, it is interesting to see what a big difference $50 makes. I know I would never have guessed that $50 would have made such a big difference with so many collectors. It will be interesting to see how fast these $500+ statues from Sideshow sell out, if they sell out at all. Either way, it will be interesting to see if Sideshow can continue with the level of sales they are used too at these price levels.

And from the posts made so far on this forum regarding this topic, I am definitely in the minority on this one as I really don't see any difference between $450 and $500. Its just not enough money to deter me from buying a piece I really want. I had absolutely no problem pre ordering Sonja, Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix, etc. as those are some of the nicest looking statues I have ever seen come out of Sideshow. From what I have seen of the Prototypes, they are definitely worth the money. And I really like Gamora as well so that will be another easy pre order for me.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #358
supermetroid
Teen Titans

OrangeCrush, you really shouldn't order day 1 if you're into saving money. Read earlier in this thread and you'll see that 5% or 10% coupons pop up on recent PO's like Spider-man, GG and Sabretooth etc. after a few weeks. That's a lot of money saved with how many SS statues you order.

Edit: Waiting on a 10% on Spider-man to pop up lol...I guess you won't get reward points if you use a coupon though?
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #359
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
OrangeCrush, you really shouldn't order day 1 if you're into saving money. Read earlier in this thread and you'll see that 5% or 10% coupons pop up on recent PO's like Spider-man, GG and Sabretooth etc. after a few weeks. That's a lot of money saved with how many SS statues you order.

Edit: Waiting on a 10% on Spider-man to pop up lol...I guess you won't get reward points if you use a coupon though?
Just not worth it to me. Getting an EX is my main priority and I save more than enough money in other aspects of my life. Saving $45-$50 on a statue just isn't that big of a deal to me. Plus I like taking advatage of Sideshows Flexpay. It keeps more of my money free on a month to month basis, which is key for jumping on great deals on eBay when they pop up. I absolutely hate buying statues in a single payment. Each time I have done so I have missed out on other items as a result, due to going through my monthly budget so fast.

And yes, you also get no reward points if you use coupons so your really only saving 5% with a 10% off coupon, at least in the long run. I have already gotten 2 free statues and 2 hard cover books with reward points so I take reward points very seriously. They definitely add up over time. So waiting for coupons so I can save 5% just isn't worth it. Not even close to be honest. I recently almost missed out on the Power Girl PF EX becasue I waited. That was the last close call for me. I am not waiting ever again on statues I know I am going to buy.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #360
ambasah
Red Skull

just to clarify, you still get reward points for the amount you have to pay. If you save $50 on a $500 statue, you still get reward points on the $450.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote