Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
So glad this game turned out and happened the way it did. For years...over a decade...I have not been buying into hype and warning then mocking others that do.

Too many years have games come and gone, at full price and the cycle just kept repeating, people just kept buying day 1. The way this came out, I see so many articles and so many people "now" seeing the marketing-hype train and how bad it can be. HOPEFULLY now your average consumer will be more aware of "hype" and take their time, thus reflecting on the companies by not allowing them to constantly push out rehashed garbage or incomplete games, without know fully ahead of time.

To be fair, I bought this day 1. Not due to hype, never even followed it until the day before. I totally agree on the 60 bucks point for a game like this...20-30 tops. I mainly bought it due to being curious of the procedural nature and timing just made it so I wasnt really playing anything else at the moment (still waiting on Urien for SFV, ha).

I feel bad for those that thought this was a different game. What little I knew of it ahead of time...it was pretty much exactly what I thought. For size, tech, art achieved, I wanted to give them money to make more. Just too bad it was 60.

But that is marketing for you. Set at triple A price, best game release on Steam this year so far. Wasnt made by 100s or 1000 man team.
So they made $$$ without spending as much as they normally would have.
An odd post from beginning to end. Don't even know where to begin...
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #22
Python
Omega Red

While I agree about hype culture, I'm certainly not glad it turned out this way. This game had many people excited and if it lived up to what it promised, it could have been special, but it didn't unfortunately. We do however have to treat it as an individual failure. Space sims have long been one of my favourite genres, I grew up with Tie Fighter and Freespace/FS2 etc. It is genuinely nice to see the genre making a come back after so many years of silence, even if this title won't be making the impact we'd hoped. Had they priced this like the indie game it is, then maybe. It may even be an option again once improvements are made and the price falls.

For now, we have stuff like Elite Dangerous, which is a really good game imo. We hopefully have Star Citizen on the way which if it delivers half of what it promises, should be pretty amazing. And no doubt others.

And of course, we still have the golden oldies over on GOG..

https://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2
https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_t...pecial_edition
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #23
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
An odd post from beginning to end. Don't even know where to begin...
A very odd post indeed. The fact that he wound up buying the game and at full price just makes it all the more odd, lol.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #24
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

How is it odd?

I bought it not caring what it was really. I expected a lonely space exploration and got that.

I was just trying to show how the "hype" factor of this game seems to have opened more people's eye than normal. The whole hype VS what you get thing I have been noticing for MANY years, other seems to just now seeing as a "problem".
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
How is it odd?

I bought it not caring what it was really. I expected a lonely space exploration and got that.

I was just trying to show how the "hype" factor of this game seems to have opened more people's eye than normal. The whole hype VS what you get thing I have been noticing for MANY years, other seems to just now seeing as a "problem".
Its odd for a number of reasons. First, a LOT of gamers have recognized the hype factor for a very long time now. No Mans Sky isn't the first game to have had huge hype only to deiver something well under what was expected. The hype problem was widely recognized as far back as the original Fable game on the original Xbox. Peter Molyneux was famous for hyping his games and promising tons of features that never wound up making it into the retail version of the games. No Mans Sky is just the latest in a very long list of games that didn't live up to the hype. Your acting as if people are just now recognizing this fact and that just isn't the case at all.

2nd, even at full retail price games are just ridiculously cheap compared to what games used to cost. The gaming industy is literally the only industry that I know of that has been completely immune from inflation. PC games and console games have been $49.99-$59.99 dating all the way back to the original Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games. Some N64 games were more than $59.99. Had the game industy adjusted for inflation like every other market the world over, retail games would be at least $80-90 bucks right now, and that is actually a pretty low estimate.

Gaming has literally never been cheaper. What makes this even more amazing is the fact that games have gotten VASTLY more expensive to produce as thier made by MUCH larger teams/studios, they require VASTLY more development time (sometimes up to 4-5+ years), are they are vastly more complex and vastly larger in size an scope, and yet the price for retail games has basically remaind unchaged the last 30+ years. On top of that games go on sale much faster then they ever did before and are discounted by much larger margins. You can easily find games for as much as 40%-50% off in as little as a few months.

Amazon and Best Buy now have gamer clubs that take 20% off new game purchases, which brings the price of new full retail released down to $48.00 at launch. And don't even get me started on the PC side of gaming. You can regularly find game bundles for insanely cheap prices, someties for as little as .50 per game. I have 2839 games in my Steam account, over 400 games on my GOG account, and roughly 400 games on my Desura account and most of those games were purchased for absolutely dirst cheap prices (.50 to a few dollars apiece).

And yes, its a little odd that you write a post condemning a game and the hype it recieved only to buy the game at full price yourself, regardless of the reasons. And I have no idea how No Mans Sky turned out to be exacty what you thought since every single demo they ran for that game made it out to be much better than it was and pretty much every single article was guilty of the same thing.

Yes, overhyping games is a prolem in this industry, but again that is not something new. This problem dates back all the way to the original Xbox and many of the games released for it. Its a very widely know issue these days, but people are still buying them anyways as very few peple trust
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

A lot more than normal noticed through NMS.

And price is just mentioned based on price vs content (excluded "vast procedural space"). Which is also why I bought it, just to see how they handled that part. I bet you have way more content for the Steam bundles.

I never looked into NMS until the day it launched and was merely looking at it as a procedural space game, where you explored.

So my main points were...
- glad more noticed the overhype
- but for all the nastiness from the public about the overhype, I admit I still bought it and was satisfied.

Ended up clocking in about 55 hours.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote