Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #161
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post

First impression? Stunning! Wow! Sideshow really came through on this piece. I think the portrait is THE best part of the entire sculpt. The intricate details of the hair. Facial features sculpted by a talent that understands what nature intended with the female persuasion.

That's interesting to me considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
That is an interesting question I know even to myself. I think answering it begins with how we approach understanding physical attractiveness on an individual level. Like first impressions of attractive or not. And then try and break it down on a physical level.

Women’s faces tend to be softer and more rounded than men’s faces and their features more delicate. The bone and muscle structure is lighter and less prominent; the eyebrows are generally higher on the face than men’s eyebrows, the mouth is smaller, the lips more full and rounded, and the eyes slightly larger.

This piece takes the hits on the following:

Face does not have the typical rounded proportions.
Features are not delicate but are sharper in their definition.
Prominent bone and muscle structure which I can clearly see.
Large mouth. Smaller lips.
Needs larger eyes.

You will find some of these details described in basic courses of facial proportions And sculpting faces.
Based on this one photo we have of Emma:

The two faces have nearly the same proportions, from the forehead to the nose bridge to the cheek bones to the chin.

Emma's features are also just as sharp. Look at those cheek bones and chin. Those are some prominent bone structure.

The mouth and lips look almost identical as well.

And the eyes look about the same size. Mystique's pupil-less eyes make her eyes look a bit smaller than they really are.

Using your same provided points on why you're so critical of the Mystique statue looking "mannish" and comparing it to Emma, it sounds like you would think Emma is mannish as well.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #162
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Do I see mixed media? Beautiful portrait and pose tho.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #163
Spam Filter
The Herculoids

The cape is definitely not sculpted, so yes, mixed media.
Spam Filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #164
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Aside from basic face shape (chin, width of nose), the difference in the two pieces is the same as the difference between a woman who doesn't contour her face with make-up versus one that does.

IRL, if you're not already aware, it is stunning the amount of women you wouldn't recognize without make-up on. Like HUGE differences. And it's all because they are masters with a contouring sponge and make-up.

Emma would be the RL person who contours and spends 45 mins putting her face on. Mystique (even without shape shifting) would be the person who puts on foundation, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss and calls it good. Both statues are beautiful, just in different ways that are true (IMO) to their comic backstory.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #165
dechirico7
The Flash

I am just using gifs from now on because some of the conversations in these threads get a bit weird.

dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #166
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

The two faces have nearly the same proportions, from the forehead to the nose bridge to the cheek bones to the chin.

Emma's features are also just as sharp. Look at those cheek bones and chin. Those are some prominent bone structure.

And the eyes look about the same size. Mystique's pupil-less eyes make her eyes look a bit smaller than they really are.

Using your same provided points on why you're so critical of the Mystique statue looking "mannish" and comparing it to Emma, it sounds like you would think Emma is mannish as well.
And a quick shot out to crimsinwing1989 who also wanted to dig a bit more into this. This is also for you as I do appreciate your earlier questions!

Requoting myself from your comment:

Originally Posted by Indomitus
That is an interesting question I know even to myself. I think answering it begins with how we approach understanding physical attractiveness on an individual level. Like first impressions of attractive or not. And then try and break it down on a physical level.

Women’s faces tend to be softer and more rounded than men’s faces and their features more delicate. The bone and muscle structure is lighter and less prominent; the eyebrows are generally higher on the face than men’s eyebrows, the mouth is smaller, the lips more full and rounded, and the eyes slightly larger.

This piece takes the hits on the following:

Face does not have the typical rounded proportions.
Features are not delicate but are sharper in their definition.
Prominent bone and muscle structure which I can clearly see.
Large mouth. Smaller lips.
Needs larger eyes.

You will find some of these details described in basic courses of facial proportions And sculpting faces.

This would be a good time to take a step back and point out that Masculinity and Femininity are traits and not genders. Categorizing these traits help us define what gender we expect someone to be but do not associate what anyone may find as attractive or other. And truly determining gender is like watching The Crying Game. Those that are interested in understanding the research on the biology of what traits differentiate male from female are invited to go out and Google it for yourselves. The same for basic courses on sculpting male vs female. You may debate the criteria I defined for the differences, but then you would be defending your position with feelings and not facts.

So what percentage of people on the forums or estimated general populace finds that the Mystique piece looks like a man? 10%? 20%? 50%? 70%? I think the answer is subjective but this debate is going on everywhere. So who is debating that Emma looks like a man? Less than 5% or nobody? Something to think about before diving into the physical comparison of SS Mystique versus Emma.

Here is what I think could have been changed on the SS Mystique to give him a more her look like Emma.

Soften the lines next to the nose that leads to the mouth.
Reduce the size of Mystique's nose as a proportion to her face. Make it less pronounced.
Remove the Joker tips on the mouth. Perceived as being larger.
Larger eyes. Especially since there are no pupils.
And maybe take out the impression of bags under her eyes? This doesn't affect gender but she really should get more sleep.

And there you have it.

Looking forward to the full reveal on Emma from Sideshow. Hopefully this piece is a reflection of things to come from the X-Men line. I am hopeful in anticipation.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #167
adee
Green Arrow

Man I don't see it at all. If anything I think Emma's features are stronger than Mystique's. Her jawline and chin look much more pronounced to me. I think they both look like women though
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #168
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:

?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #169
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
?
some guy said mystique looked mannish and gave his reasons why. I pointed out that his comments also applied to Emma.

How is this hard to follow?
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #170
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
some guy said mystique looked mannish and gave his reasons why. I pointed out that his comments also applied to Emma.

How is this hard to follow?
Well I guess it is hard to follow for the people who weren’t at mystique thread for this “masculine mystique” debate .
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote