Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #31
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Even in the somewhat short time I've collected the whole hobby has exploded! Which I think is very cool, so many more companies, statues, artists, techniques, it's a great time to collect - just hard price wise. I do plan on selling all my statues except for 3. My SS Thanos on Throne, Galactus Maquette, and I have a chromed action bowen surfer. I'll sell that surfer WHEN Sideshow comes out with a new one. That will be my little display and I hope to stay happy with it.

I saw a couple people mention feeling the same way and then their life got in order (finances, family, kids) etc. That is a MAJOR factor in my decision. I'm 2 years married, just got 2 dogs and we want to have kids like now. So I need to get in the best position possible for that. Once all that is in a good spot, who knows maybe in several years I'll buy a statue. I'm sure the landscape will be very different.

Like a lot of you also said, you have always been collectors and so have I. I'll probably go back to ol' faithful and just play more video games - I mean a new game is $80 and provides 20-100 hours of entertainment opposed to a $1000 statue that while amazing... kind of sits there LOL. I hope to stick around, and window shop like what was mentioned - just being honest with myself I may just get jealous of not being involved!
I feel I cant have statues and kids at the same time.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #32
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I feel I cant have statues and kids at the same time.
It can be done, I have 5 kids of my own, 3 still living at home, plus 3 foster kids living with us.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #33
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
It can be done, I have 5 kids of my own, 3 still living at home, plus 3 foster kids living with us.
Man mad respect to you.

So many of us spend so much on ourselves but you truly deserve your fun money.
There's nothing better to do with life than caring for someone.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #34
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Man mad respect to you.

So many of us spend so much on ourselves but you truly deserve your fun money.
There's nothing better to do with life than caring for someone.
Thanks! We aren't allowed to post pics of foster kids on the interweb but here is the family from Xmas time. There is an extra one in the pic because the oldest boy got married. As you can see just feeding these horses was a huge expense, they get their size from the wife's side of the family. Her runt brother is 6'3" and tallest over 6'5". Boy number 2 is our tallest, he is about 6'4". The foster kids we currently have are a girl (8) and two boys (5 and 3).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fam 2017.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	113705  
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #35
Gothamite
Phoenix

The solution is to build a museum like that Cantilever house guy.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #36
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Mini-busts...

I hear you, though...space and money. Never enough. Hats off to you for calling it. A lot of people don't. Of course, not everyone spends $2k on a statue.

Have fun with whatever you get into, man.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #37
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Thanks! We aren't allowed to post pics of foster kids on the interweb but here is the family from Xmas time. There is an extra one in the pic because the oldest boy got married. As you can see just feeding these horses was a huge expense, they get their size from the wife's side of the family. Her runt brother is 6'3" and tallest over 6'5". Boy number 2 is our tallest, he is about 6'4". The foster kids we currently have are a girl (8) and two boys (5 and 3).
That's a nice looking family you got there! My hat is off to you, I have 1 hypothetical future kid and I'm like "that's it I'm done!" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
The solution is to build a museum like that Cantilever house guy.
Haha! Just to get the land for that in my area would quite literally be would be in the 8-figure range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Mini-busts...

I hear you, though...space and money. Never enough. Hats off to you for calling it. A lot of people don't. Of course, not everyone spends $2k on a statue.

Have fun with whatever you get into, man.
Selling the mini busts too man! But thank you, you know I will
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #38
spriggan
The Spirit

For me, I am not quitting but limiting the ones I really wants to buy (probably about 2 pieces). Having say that I don't collect 1/4 scale, just 1/6 scale or smaller . I agree that price for statues are outrageous now days and the same thing with the shipping cost to Canada. I couldn't ever see myself spending 1 K on statue. Even above USD300 for 1/6 scale is ridiculous.
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #39
ukshaun
Hercules

Had a moment of weakness today (not that i have an out of control statue addiction or anything), and spotted a Sideshow EX 1/4 PF on ebay. Slammed on a bid and was highest bidder with 12 minutes remaining. Some time later, i received an email informing me i had been outbid. To be honest, i was not disappointed, and i had bumped up the price by $120 - i guess that made the seller happy

Update: I caved in and found another, different Sideshow PF on offer. Super Girl PF. I got her for a good price, and compared to the other statue i missed out on, i saved around $300. I got my statue fix, and the bank balance remains in good shape. ..Pheeew!
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #40
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Y3E,

I could not have said it better.
I can fully understand what Mr Jones and you are going through since I am experiencing pretty much the same thing.

I have three more statues on order with my LCS (Sideshow's Thanos on Throne Maquette, PCS' Zangief and Iron Studios Wolverine vs Juggernaut dio) and the funny thing is I am really counting down to zero.
For years I have been busy increasing my collection always looking out for either the next big thing or some golden oldie from the past which I just had to have.
I have loved every second of this enjoyable journey but somehow the spark which fueled this great hobby, is not burning as brightly in me anymore.
When I look around in my display room I am proud of each and every piece I have but the need to add something new, has almost completely disappeared.
It even applies to writing reviews of statues, something I have always loved to do.
In the past I almost could not wait to write and post a review, but this has also slowed down considerably. Somehow I find it harder these days to find the time and the right mood for it.

I'll be honest: if Sideshow will ever release a Juggernaut PF I will be first in line to buy it.
But apart from that I think I will also take some big steps back soon.
The lack of space, the increasing prices and above all, life with its changing priorities in time, have brought me to this point.

But it sure was one heck of a journey which I have thoroughly enjoyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I am definitely slowing down. Soon I maybe out. Many factors and yeah, pricing is one of them. The second factor is space. Although I have ample room to display my statues, I don't for the boxes. Not unless I have the boxes stored in the open, which I won't.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote