Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #41
Underdog07
Hercules

Puckett played a different position, so while his stats are similar its not a dead on comparison. First baseman are expected to hit HRs. That is ultimately what they are judged by. Here are the 10 most similar players to Mattingly.

Cecil Cooper (934)
Wally Joyner (907)
Hal McRae (900)
Kirby Puckett (895) *
Garret Anderson (880)
Will Clark (879)
Tony Oliva (872)
Keith Hernandez (862)
Jim Bottomley (860) *
John Olerud (858)

Here is a comparison of their stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...ngly&st=career

Would you argue that those other 1B above belong in the Hall? Will Clark arguably has better numbers than Mattingly and their playing time significantly overlapped. I doubt you would champion Clark's cause.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #42
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Puckett played a different position, so while his stats are similar its not a dead on comparison. First baseman are expected to hit HRs. That is ultimately what they are judged by. Here are the 10 most similar players to Mattingly.

Cecil Cooper (934)
Wally Joyner (907)
Hal McRae (900)
Kirby Puckett (895) *
Garret Anderson (880)
Will Clark (879)
Tony Oliva (872)
Keith Hernandez (862)
Jim Bottomley (860) *
John Olerud (858)

Here is a comparison of their stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...ngly&st=career

Would you argue that those other 1B above belong in the Hall? Will Clark arguably has better numbers than Mattingly and their playing time significantly overlapped. I doubt you would champion Clark's cause.
will clark was not to the giants as mattingly was to the yankees.
Kirby puckett played center field are you telling me center fielders are not suppose to hit homeruns, they by far should hit homeruns.
Ken griffy Jr , center fielder who hit for power, both postitions require homeruns. I am not saying he deserves to be in the hall of fame, but what I am saying is that if puckett got in, similar numbers, power hitter position played, shortend career why him and not donnie, I think it because he played on the twin teams that went to the world series.

I like going back and forth with you , at least I can say you have a knowledge for the game.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #43
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I never said he didnt , please re-read my post to see exactly what my point was. I can see with my own eyes he took steriods, no denying that
i was asking cuz i wasnt sure what u said in ur post and i would care not to put myself through the task of trying to decipher sniper language
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #44
DEAD_MAN
I am da law!

Alfonso Soriano joined an exclusive club, becoming just the fourth player in league history to steal 40 bases and hit 40 homers in a season.
He can do it again he almost did it with the yankees.
DEAD_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote