Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

Disney backing off from 1 Star Wars movie every year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...owdown-1145493

Disney CEO Bob Iger:

Quote:
I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

They could have dumped 10 star wars movies on us as long as they were good. People would have been clamoring for MORE! What we got instead was one decent movie (Rogue One)...one mediocre remake movie from an overrated director (Force Awakens)..one spin off which was met with appropriate response from most people of distaste due to the unfaithful portrayal of one of the most loved characters in Star Wars and a directing mess with a feminist robot thrown in for yuks.(Solo) Finally we got one hot piece of trash that killed Star Wars entirely for most people ( Last Jedi)
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Gothamite
Phoenix

I thought Rogue One was pretty bad, too. The sound mix was atrocious, to the point where I couldn't understand most of the dialogue (the actors' thick accents and Forest Whitaker's weird raspy grunts certainly didn't help). The tank ambush scene was almost shot-for-shot identical to a sequence in Saving Private Ryan (when the Americans ambush tanks in a narrow street). Most of the final battle looks like leftovers from Terrence Malick's Thin Red Line. CGI Young Leia was one of the creepiest things in movies ever.

Only the Vader freak-out is worth watching.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I thought Rogue One was pretty bad, too. The sound mix was atrocious, to the point where I couldn't understand most of the dialogue (the actors' thick accents and Forest Whitaker's weird raspy grunts certainly didn't help). The tank ambush scene was almost shot-for-shot identical to a sequence in Saving Private Ryan (when the Americans ambush tanks in a narrow street). Most of the final battle looks like leftovers from Terrence Malick's Thin Red Line. CGI Young Leia was one of the creepiest things in movies ever.

Only the Vader freak-out is worth watching.
Despite R1 being depressing, I felt it was exactly like watching an old war film like Guns of the Navarone or Dirty Dozen or Thin Red Line. Jyn Erso is much more engaging and someone people can identify with type character than Rey as well. The end was a sound choice to have the heroes die instead of doing the more Western thing where they make it out and celebrate at the end. I agree the CGI Leia was a mistake and added unneeded cringe with awful CGI and killed what was a great moment when Vader storms the ship. That moment actually seemed second thought and detracted from what I was saying about the ending with heroes dying..like the director wanted to end on a high note with hope etc...it was something the movie could have done without. They should have just committed and left it.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Despite R1 being depressing, I felt it was exactly like watching an old war film like Guns of the Navarone or Dirty Dozen or Thin Red Line. Jyn Erso is much more engaging and someone people can identify with type character than Rey as well. The end was a sound choice to have the heroes die instead of doing the more Western thing where they make it out and celebrate at the end. I agree the CGI Leia was a mistake and added unneeded cringe with awful CGI and killed what was a great moment when Vader storms the ship. That moment actually seemed second thought and detracted from what I was saying about the ending with heroes dying..like the director wanted to end on a high note with hope etc...it was something the movie could have done without. They should have just committed and left it.
I didn't mind Rogue One being a "downer"; I thought the execution was lousy. I also hated how Cassian Andor managed to overcome his injuries and deus ex machina save Jyn Erso at the last minute, just so that the filmmakers could frame a shot of the two hugging on a beach. Yuck.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

I passed on the 1st Disney Star Wars movie, as i read too many reviews claiming it was a play it safe remake of sorts of A New Hope. To this day, i haven't seen it.

I jumped in when Rogue One arrived, and boy was i underwhelmed. Suddenly Star Wars was taking itself too seriously. What little story there was failed to interest me.

The Last Jedi, which i watched only a couple of days ago, is something i described at the time as 3/10 garbage. Such a poor movie.

Solo - i've not seen it. I'm not into prequel's.

Disney slowing down and putting more effort in, in hope of making a Star Wars movie that can match A New Hope or Empire, makes sense. Maybe they should go old school, and drop all forms of CGI
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Maybe they should go old school, and drop all forms of CGI
Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Mister H
Gen 13

That would really give them the same vibe as the originals.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I also hated how Cassian Andor managed to overcome his injuries and deus ex machina save Jyn Erso at the last minute, just so that the filmmakers could frame a shot of the two hugging on a beach. Yuck.
Affection makes you gag! LOL
R1 was really the only one I can go back and watch, flawed as it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Maybe they should go old school, and drop all forms of CGI
YES! That's one step in the right direction. Better storytelling and character development would be another.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Augen
Metal Men

They were overconfident on how much the brand would carry Star Wars. The performance of IX at the box office will be telling just how strong it still is. Something like Solo not doing well is one thing, but the idea of a mainline Star Wars movie not guaranteed to make a billion dollars would have been unthinkable when Disney acquired it.

None of these other projects (Johnson, Weiss and Benioff) get me excited at all about the future of Star Wars.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote