Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #21
SAB380
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
So I have hundreds of statue boxes (plus maybe 20 dupe statues) in a storage unit that's costing me almost $300/month.

You know you're an addict when ....
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
wrlord
Fantastic Four

It's funny because it's true.
Anyone know someone in LA with a big truck willing to clear out my storage space and make my boxes disappear?
The I'll just have the extras to deal with...
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #23
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I would keep the boxes.

I also would not pay $3600 a year to store them. I would have to come up with a different solution (that wasn't 3600/year) or cut my collection way back.

How many years have you been using the storage?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #24
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
But the statue specific cut Styrofoam is what you need to keep the statues safe. It's easy to get empty giant boxes.
Yeah...just asking for the more fragile pieces to get damaged. I mean, do you and all, but I couldn't do it.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #25
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

$300x12=$3,600
$3,600x10=$36,000

How much are those boxes really worth to you? Better yet, how much are the statues worth? Up until recently, PF's were running about $350. Even if we averaged about $500 a piece, do you have more than 72 PF's? The resale on these is horrible now. Seems to me, it might be cheaper to throw the statues in the trash than attempt to save the boxes in this manner for resale.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Yeah the storage is a sunk cost. Time to cut your losses on it ASAP, trash all the boxes if you have to. Inventorize your collection, maybe starting with the most rare/valuable ones, if any - then decide which pieces can sell the quickest, and save those boxes. The statue market is abysmal as everyone points out, so be happy to just move them out.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #27
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

The boxes are a necessary evil in this hobby. They are the best way to safely move a collection if the need arises and they are also needed to get the best price on resale value. One could argue to only keep the boxes for the most prized pieces in your collection to save space and I can't argue with that rationale.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #28
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Yeah the storage is a sunk cost. Time to cut your losses on it ASAP, trash all the boxes if you have to. Inventorize your collection, maybe starting with the most rare/valuable ones, if any - then decide which pieces can sell the quickest, and save those boxes. The statue market is abysmal as everyone points out, so be happy to just move them out.
Yeah, if I didn't have storage space for them spending that amount every year would add up quick and change my whole outlook change.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #29
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I have so many questions but going to have to make some assumptions...

If you can afford hundreds of statues but you're complaining about $300 a month, it sounds like you are probably more comfortable with capital expenses than operational expenses... so... would recommend:

1) Assess your statue collection and see if there are any you are willing to say farewell to. You probably won't make a profit from it, but perhaps someone else who can't afford hundreds of statues can enjoy it.

2) If you decided to part with any statues from step 1, then pack those in a box and put them up for sale

3) For all the rest of the boxes, get rid of them all! (please recycle) If you really want to keep some, limit it to your top 10 most expensive/complex statues

4) When the time comes to move the statues, go to a commercial supplier and buy a significant amount of styrofoam and custom foam cushioning (they are pre-cut in tiny cubes). Will probably cost $1-2k for your statue count.

5) Pack your statues:
5.A) Can do it yourself...
5.B) Call one of the statue companies to come over and help you. I've heard of a few people doing this with really expensive collectibles ($10k+ range)
5.C) Call one of the really high end movers who have experience, insurance and certifications to move high end items to help you (usually from around Beverly Hills or Malibu)

6) After you move, sell as much of the styrofoam and cushioning as you can, perhaps mark it down a bit and do this around the time of Aug/Sept when people are moving to school so you get some of your money back

7) Enjoy a new layout of your statues and clean space
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote