Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #541
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
What demand? You can go get an XM Thanos for that price right now and have a much better chance of the statue retaining it's value because far less exist. Right now SS is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The idea that edition size should play no part in the final cost of a 'limited edition collectable' is crazy.
Oh come on, you really think they don't have demand? You think these magically sell out?

You think DCC sells 5k of a Green Arrow statue or a Cyborg statue and it's because there's no demand?

The Idea that edition size is what drives sales on these is nuts. People buy them because comic lovers like to own them, and there are literally thousands and thousands of people who like comics, and movies, and games etc. etc.

So as long as "Limited edition collectible" still means "Hey we're only going to make so many of these and then stop and oh by the way you can add these to the others we made" then yes, Edition Size has a role, just not what you think it is.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #542
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Oh come on, you really think they don't have demand? You think these magically sell out?

You think DCC sells 5k of a Green Arrow statue or a Cyborg statue and it's because there's no demand?

The Idea that edition size is what drives sales on these is nuts. People buy them because comic lovers like to own them, and there are literally thousands and thousands of people who like comics, and movies, and games etc. etc.

So as long as "Limited edition collectible" still means "Hey we're only going to make so many of these and then stop and oh by the way you can add these to the others we made" then yes, Edition Size has a role, just not what you think it is.
Yeah well if SS thinks they can charge the same amount of money and have triple the ES I wish them the best of luck on that.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #543
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

Agreed. No doubt there are some collectors who only buy limited editions if the ES is low, but people are SEVERELY overestimating the overall roll edition sizes play in this industry. Sideshow sales over the last 2 years prove that unequivocally.

Quote:
Yeah well if SS thinks they can charge the same amount of money and have triple the ES I wish them the best of luck on that.
They already have tripled the edition size on many pieces. In fact, many pieces go WELL BEYOND tripling the ES. Just look at the Wonder Woman PF. It had a total edition size of 9500. And all it takes is a quick look at Sideshow's sales over the last couple of years to see that its had zero negative effect on sales. In fact, its quite the contrary as sales have continued to rise and rise even in spite of much larger edition sizes and higher prices. So there is really no need to wish them luck. Thier already succeeding.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #544
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
They already have tripled the edition size on many pieces. In fact, many pieces go WELL BEYOND tripling the ES. Just look at the Wonder Woman PF. It had a total edition size of 9500. And all it takes is a quick look at Sideshow's sales over the last couple of years to see that its had zero negative effect on sales. In fact, its quite the contrary as sales have continued to rise and rise even in spite of much larger edition sizes and higher prices. So there is really no need to wish them luck. Thier already succeeding.
Maybe Thanos and Deadpool will have very low runs and become uber grails. Personally I'm not paying that kinda money with TBD editions when there's a good chance I can get it later for less.

You guys are arguing supply vs demand and what I'm saying is they are killing the demand by out pricing us while increasing the supply.

...also note that I'm taking this stance more on Deadpool than Thanos. I need to see Thanos first.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #545
Marcus Fenix
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Yes because "the in thing" is why people buy Comic book based statues like Black Cat at $500 a piece.

Thanos is a huge character, people love him, and some people will pay to get him in their collection.
"some" aka barely any based on replies and the Deadpool poll.

SSC has made it clear they are going for the casual buyer.... if we, who complain on a forum and in a majority vote we won't pay $700.... why would a casual buyer pay $700... or $1200 for Thanos?

You would be wrong to misplace popularity as an indicator for reasons to buy... aka the "in" thing. Popularity/ the "in" thing, is the whole reason SSC even makes a piece. If not, where is the Howard the Duck PF. People love him and he is based on a comic book?
Marcus Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #546
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Fenix View Post
"some" aka barely any based on replies and the Deadpool poll.

SSC has made it clear they are going for the casual buyer.... if we, who complain on a forum and in a majority vote we won't pay $700.... why would a casual buyer pay $700... or $1200 for Thanos?

You would be wrong to misplace popularity as an indicator for reasons to buy... aka the "in" thing. Popularity/ the "in" thing, is the whole reason SSC even makes a piece. If not, where is the Howard the Duck PF. People love him and he is based on a comic book?
Howard the Duck was never that big in comics, however you do see a ton of people buying Angela, Captain Marvel. Hell some people are paying $1200 for that XM Darkness statue. None of these characters are in the general publics conciousness but they still sell and at high prices.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #547
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
What demand? You can go get an XM Thanos for that price right now and have a much better chance of the statue retaining it's value because far less exist. Right now SS is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The idea that edition size should play no part in the final cost of a 'limited edition collectable' is crazy.
Exactly! Now be prepared for the"I collect for the love of the hobby, ES does not matter" crowd to respond.
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #548
pokritz17
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by newe82 View Post
Exactly! Now be prepared for the"I collect for the love of the hobby, ES does not matter" crowd to respond.
ES doesn't matter, I collect for the love of the hobby.
pokritz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #549
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokritz17 View Post
ES doesn't matter, I collect for the love of the hobby.
There it is Thank You. I was getting worried I had mispoke
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #550
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

why is it so hard to get a prototype picture?

One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote