Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Arrow Bowen Designs Namor Statue - Black Version

Let me give this a try…
Today I received the Black Version of the Bowen Designs Namor statue. My 1st impression of the piece from the preview pictures is a piece I knew I had to own. However now that I finally own one I wish I didn’t. It has nothing to due with the sculpt; it’s all because of the skin tones on the factory paint job… The Sculpt and base and beautifully sculpted, but the tan lines on the skin kill the piece… The shades vary from too dark and too light… there is no medium… From my pictures it is hard to see what I am talking about because of the flash… Another thing I dont like is that RB intitialed the base on the top... You can see it in the picture below... We all know it was sculpted by him and I dont think he should've done that...

It does capture Namor perfectly in his black suit and the minor details on the base are cool… The scepter is very detailed also… In my opinion would compliment any aquarium, especially because of the base…

Front of Base

Back of Base (The RB is engraved above the starfish on the aqua marine colored plant)

The statue comes in 3 separate pieces… The base, the Statue, and the scepter with one hand… It’s really easy to put together.

Overall I rate this piece a 3.5 out of 5 because of the bad skin tones and the RB initials on the top of leaf behind Namor’s right Foot… I may just keep statue and have the flesh tones repainted, but I haven’t decided on that yet…

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review CK. I bought this version as it was the one that didn't look like an Olympic Swimmer. I'm hoping my paintwork is not as noticable as your one.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

i completely agree with you on the skintones, very dissapointing, but a great sculpt indeed.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Good stuff, CK - brief and to the point. I hope I like mine more when I get it. Yellow (gold?) type on the traditional forum skin is a bit of an eye-strainer though!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Good stuff, CK - brief and to the point. I hope I like mine more when I get it. Yellow (gold?) type on the traditional forum skin is a bit of an eye-strainer though!
yeah unlike bullseye's and bat_collector.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Whats that supposed to mean...your full of wind.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
mofo_hedna
Doh!

I received my black costumed Namor statue this week. I thought it was well sculpted and nicely painted. A keeper for me ... very detailed base!
mofo_hedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I don't know...the pics you just posted confirmed, to me at least, that this version is the way to go if I get SUB-MARINER. Looks ok to me..
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
heirtoasguard
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

guys I agree with the skin tones. but I feel that on the classic, he was too pale.
I think that is what I would call it. of the 3 statues the black version has the best face. it's totally Sal Bucema. I mean I can actually that face in a comic book panel.
heirtoasguard is offline   Reply With Quote