Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #1751
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Most definitely. That was the point I was trying to make. The ES was based on pre-orders which took forever to drop. Had the PO and actual release been more timely I'd wager the ES on these would easily be double what we're seeing. GG took a serious hit for their lack of follow through.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #1752
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Most definitely. That was the point I was trying to make. The ES was based on pre-orders which took forever to drop. Had the PO and actual release been more timely I'd wager the ES on these would easily be double what we're seeing. GG took a serious hit for their lack of follow through.
Definitely.
They seem to be this way on most pieces though.
I wonder if the production of these got pushed for the licensed pieces?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #1753
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
A low ES is great.
I am just saying 2+ years for production of a piece will make a large number of collectors lose interest.
Oh I agree, I sometimes lose interests on pre-orders I have with SS when they have been delayed more then a year. I've cancelled a lot, luckily delay means I get my NRD back...

For me personally I have limited display space and keep changing my mind on which way to go with my collection, so if the statues I pre-order take too long I might become interested in something else... Although in this case I kept my pre-orders and glad I did, I really like these Honey Trap statues. The Details on them are amazing.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #1754
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Definitely.
They seem to be this way on most pieces though.
That's always been my theory.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #1755
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
While I'd agree they don't seem to care about the line anymore I'd disagree that they think people will buy them regardless. The microscopic edition sizes, which were set based on the amount of pre-orders, prove otherwise.
Gentle Giant knows that some people will want the whole group. Whether to display or just to flip who knows. That's who they are making these for at this point. They know the number of people that paid full retail direct from them. I assume they know the number who paid with slight discounts at places like BBTS. I would be surprised if Amazon gets anymore or is able to get enough to give massive discounts like with Whisper. I see a few small retailers selling via Amazon and letting Amazon ship for them. But no more direct from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It's cool for us that got them, having a ES in the 200's is pretty nice
Only if you are a flipper. Low edition is just low edition. Especially if no one wants the statue.

Quote:
I guessed at the reasons when Whisper was delayed so many times. Many thought their licensed statues were more important. I assumed that with Whisper at least, they were delaying because of low pre-orders / demand. Gentle Giant did say once that I think they had a problem with production. But other times no reasons were given. It's one thing to delay once. But I think Whisper was almost a 2 year delay. I have to check my review to be sure.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #1756
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Only if you are a flipper. Low edition is just low edition. Especially if no one wants the statue.
I disagree, it's fun to own a statue that very few people own..... Not everyone wants to see all their statues in everyone else's collection which happens when you have 5000-10000 Edition Sizes, I mean there so many of them even TV shows use them as prop's

As for the popularity of the Honey Trap statues down the road, will just have to wait and see...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #1757
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

"Having a problem with production" is the usual excuse for delays from GG. It usually means, "We're not sure if we're gonna go through with making it because we're not getting enough preorders." So they delay, and delay, and delay to see if demand/interest will will kick up past a certain point. And when it doesn't, they cancel.

They said the same, "We're having a problem with production" right before they canceled Igor, when I can bet it was just a lack of preorders for it. Same with Chappie. Same with Man-Thing. Same with TWD Morgan mini-bust, and now it seems they've canceled their 9" Chris Evans Cap and 9" Iron Patriot. The only one that's still available for preorder is the 9" Black Widow, and I really don't see the point in making that after they've already canceled Captain America. They might as well save themselves the headache and cancel her too. I swear, I've never seen a company quit on so many solicited items. I don't even know how they thought 9" Cap and IP were gonna sell at that size, especially when their 1/4 scale bigger brothers are barely even selling at $250 or less with mega low edition sizes for both.

Sometimes I feel that the stuff they show off at SDCC are just space fillers, because they really don't have anything else to put out. Yes, I'm talking about Punisher and Venom from this year (we'll just have to see what happens though). I'm gonna predict right now that they'll cancel that Netflix Daredevil mini-bust too along with not even making Fireball. If Fireball was a go, she would've been made and released along with the rest that are already out. Why would they wait this long to make her? Even solicit her? Especially that all the others have been made and released? I feel the only thing keeping them alive is the Star Wars mini-bust line, the jumbo fig line and the new Marvel baby animated maquette line. Other than that, everything else is a maybe or usually ended early.

I hate that these guys can't keep anything going, or come up with a great new and cool license they can stick with because they can make some pretty stellar stuff. Sorry for the long post.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #1758
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post

I hate that these guys can't keep anything going, or come up with a great new and cool license they can stick with because they can make some pretty stellar stuff. Sorry for the long post.
I hear you man. I have always been a big GG fan. Since the old days and the Star Wars armless busts.

They can do great stuff when they want ie Winter Soldier Black Widow. But then we didn't get Bucky or any others besides Cap.

They do Iron Patriot and a random IM armor (not even a main one) then scrap Igor. It is very frustrating. I really want to get their new Cap bust from Civil War but is going to be the only one ?

Where are more statues like Scarlet Witch, Thor, a regular IM (MK 3, 6, 7, 43 etc) ?
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #1759
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

i got my Lucky from BBTS and on the box it says it includes dog tags but mine doesn't have any. i also looked back at the pics on BBTS and there's nothing there shown that resembles dog tags. were they a GG Exclusive item?
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #1760
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

None of the Lucky statues came with dog tags unfortunately despite being solicited they would.