Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 12-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #1011
Tayto_0
Sinister Six

What are your thoughts on it NorthernLad, happy with how it turned out? Can the chains be removed or are they necessary to keep the cape lined up with the wrist?

I see what you are saying about the print but it's a nice extra and at least it doesn't have the not for sale printed on it like the Moon Knight print
Tayto_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #1012
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayto_0 View Post
What are your thoughts on it NorthernLad, happy with how it turned out? Can the chains be removed or are they necessary to keep the cape lined up with the wrist?

I see what you are saying about the print but it's a nice extra and at least it doesn't have the not for sale printed on it like the Moon Knight print
I believe that almost all statues have a few flaws or things I would personally change, and this is no exception. However, with that being said, I think it's the best Storm statue available today in all scales. Here's my pros and cons list:

Pro:
  • Dynamic poses.
  • Multiple display options with two portraits and two different sets of capes/arms.
  • Gorgeous paint job on the costume - it's not just white, it has spectacular shading and a slight pearl sheen.
  • Awesome base.
  • Absolutely beautiful portraits.
  • Very nicely painted.
  • They managed to take my least favorite of the well known Storm costumes and make it look great.
  • Perfect skin tone. Not too dark, not too light.

Con:
  • The chains, while they aren't as bad in person, they should have stuck with the simple bangle bracelet she had before.
  • There is a slight neck seam, though it's a lot more pronounced in pics as they are blown up 5x over the size of the statue.
  • There is a seam on the tornado in front on the one base piece that comes separate. This should have been fixed in production.

As for the bracelets - they seem purely cosmetic to me. Each of the four cape parts has a pointed tip that ends up placed near her wrist/bracer. On the tip of each cape, there is a single ring and attached to that ring is the chain that ends in a loop. You place Storm on the base and then the two matching cape pieces of your choice. After, you get the corresponding arms and place them on. Then, as shown in my pics, you take the chain and place the loop around the bracer, and then pop each hand in (the hands are separate too). I personally don't see how these small chains could provide any balance or stability, so my take is that they could be removed and you would have no issues. Each cape has a decent sized resin key (in a very specific size and shape) with a metal peg. The capes are light weight and are pretty easy to get in.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #1013
built2shred
Phoenix

That seem is pretty bad, never noticed it before.. ugh.... can't believe XM would put such a noticeable seem there... couple of those pictures it almost looks like the head doesn't fit snug with the body which is exaggerating the seam..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #1014
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Personally, I would have taken the loss of the second head if it would have meant the head attaches only via the neck like most statues. But, they opted for this. Like I said, it's not as noticeable in person.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #1015
built2shred
Phoenix

I think what's annoying about the chains the most is awhile back XM promised not to make changes to a statue after it goes up for pre-order...
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 AM   #1016
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I believe that almost all statues have a few flaws or things I would personally change, and this is no exception. However, with that being said, I think it's the best Storm statue available today in all scales. Here's my pros and cons list:

Pro:
  • Dynamic poses.
  • Multiple display options with two portraits and two different sets of capes/arms.
  • Gorgeous paint job on the costume - it's not just white, it has spectacular shading and a slight pearl sheen.
  • Awesome base.
  • Absolutely beautiful portraits.
  • Very nicely painted.
  • They managed to take my least favorite of the well known Storm costumes and make it look great.
  • Perfect skin tone. Not too dark, not too light.

Con:
  • The chains, while they aren't as bad in person, they should have stuck with the simple bangle bracelet she had before.
  • There is a slight neck seam, though it's a lot more pronounced in pics as they are blown up 5x over the size of the statue.
  • There is a seam on the tornado in front on the one base piece that comes separate. This should have been fixed in production.

As for the bracelets - they seem purely cosmetic to me. Each of the four cape parts has a pointed tip that ends up placed near her wrist/bracer. On the tip of each cape, there is a single ring and attached to that ring is the chain that ends in a loop. You place Storm on the base and then the two matching cape pieces of your choice. After, you get the corresponding arms and place them on. Then, as shown in my pics, you take the chain and place the loop around the bracer, and then pop each hand in (the hands are separate too). I personally don't see how these small chains could provide any balance or stability, so my take is that they could be removed and you would have no issues. Each cape has a decent sized resin key (in a very specific size and shape) with a metal peg. The capes are light weight and are pretty easy to get in.
I loved this pro/con full review. Thanks for doing this!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #1017
built2shred
Phoenix

I take back my post about the seam, upon zooming in on the picture the gap I thought I saw is actually a trim piece of the outfit which is raised up a bit to hide the portrait seam...
Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #1018
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Hells ya love that set up!! Sweet pics!

Thanks for your review NorthernLad! I can’t wait to add her to my collection. Happy Birthday as well!!
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #1019
ambasah
Red Skull

great review! Mine will be shipping in Jan.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #1020
Tayto_0
Sinister Six

Regarding the seam. My eyes are only drawn towards it on the raised head/Open mouth portrait. That wouldn't really be an issue for me as if i can get hold of this piece i plan to display it with the other head.

I find it hard to be critical of the chains because looking at the pics they don't really bother me. Should have ordered it but you live and learn.

Cheers for the review NorthernLad
Tayto_0 is offline   Reply With Quote