Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

Interesting. I'm torn in my reaction. I applaud you, Tet and your decision. Cool that if you don't plan on using them again, that you choose the most responsible way of unloading them. But, with the amount of wackos using guns as a means of venting their frustration and disapointment in their lives, I sort of understand the police reaction. With what I've been reading in the papers in last few years, it isn't a stretch to imagine some nut-job using this sort of arranged opportunity to make a final statement.
Virginia and now Illinois make it perfectly clear that even those who secure their weapons legally can be deranged shooters. Sorry that it was so uncomfortable but the police have to watch their behinds even more nowadays.
protector2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyyojimbo View Post
Well, he lives in Canada, he doesn't need guns to feel safe and secure statistically. Are Canadian Police usually like that, Tet? Overly cautious?

The firearms collection grew out of my interest in shooting that I picked up during my infantry days. While I was never more than an average marksman, I did enjoy developing the skill on my own time and eventually qualified as a Military Small Arms Coach.

The problem with the reserves is that, if you are lucky, you get to shoot live maybe twice a year. Shooting on my own time was the only way I was going to improve.

As for Montreal police, it really depends on the individual. The constables from this morning were young. I can't help but feel that if a more seasoned officer were present, it would have been handled differently.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Since you called them I think that coming in guns drawn was excessive.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I own more guns than statues (and I own more than a few statues) and I wouldn't give them up voluntarily. In Canada you have to pay annual fees just to own guns whether you shoot them or not?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
The firearms collection grew out of my interest in shooting that I picked up during my infantry days. While I was never more than an average marksman, I did enjoy developing the skill on my own time and eventually qualified as a Military Small Arms Coach.

The problem with the reserves is that, if you are lucky, you get to shoot live maybe twice a year. Shooting on my own time was the only way I was going to improve.

As for Montreal police, it really depends on the individual. The constables from this morning were young. I can't help but feel that if a more seasoned officer were present, it would have been handled differently.
Too bad you couldn't sell them.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Weighing in as a prosecutor not a police officer, I still think that was outrageous. After carefully and thoughtfully making this arrangement, they should know what they are there for and treat you with a hell of a lot more dignity and respect than that in your home.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
rychehitman
Galactus

Wow Frank! What an experience.

That does indeed seem disrespectful and excessive. Here is someone trying to do the righ thting, and they get treated like a criminal in the process...

Maybe it had something to do with the yard sign?

Or what you were wearing?

and really.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
While I applaud you for getting guns out of your house, that did seem excessive.

I've never had to own a gun to feel safe.
Well, when you have a big pair of red crocs to slap people with, I would imagine you wouldnt need a gun!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
In Canada you have to pay annual fees just to own guns whether you shoot them or not?
As I had possession of my firearms for the purpose of target shooting, I would have to maintain membership at an acredited club.

At this point, since I did not see myself having much time for the activity I did not want to pay for the annual membership nor the courses I would be required to take, as my previous civilain course is no longer valid.

The majority of my firearms, the semi-automatic military style rifles have become prohibited for possession in Canada, and could not be sold or donated away. The only reason I had them was because they were purchased and registered before the changes to the laws.

My only real problem with their approach was that they did not ask to search my home.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
As I had possession of my firearms for the purpose of target shooting, I would have to maintain membership at an acredited club.

At this point, since I did not see myself having much time for the activity I did not want to pay for the annual membership nor the courses I would be required to take, as my previous civilain course is no longer valid.

The majority of my firearms, the semi-automatic military style rifles have become prohibited for possession in Canada, and could not be sold or donated away. The only reason I had them was because they were purchased and registered before the changes to the laws.

Quote:
My only real problem with their approach was that they did not ask to search my home
And you can bet Iron man`s helmet that you are on a watch list now.
I can`t see myself ever calling the police for anything ever again and I sure as hell will never give them anything.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

Thats dumb. They could've told you to bring them in yourself to the police department.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote