Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 05-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #21
ReTardist
The Herculoids

yes I'm the sculptor. I've lived under a rock for the last 11 years because that's how long I worked under Todd McFarlane's banner. He give's credit to no one but himself. So I'm done with that ----. When I left McFarlane I felt like Russell Crowe in Gladitor talking to Joaquin Phoenix ... 'the time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end' or however it goes. LOL
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
yes I'm the sculptor. I've lived under a rock for the last 11 years because that's how long I worked under Todd McFarlane's banner. He give's credit to no one but himself. So I'm done with that ----. When I left McFarlane I felt like Russell Crowe in Gladitor talking to Joaquin Phoenix ... 'the time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end' or however it goes. LOL
Happy to see you free to get the kudos you deserve Ehren!
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #23
travis
A.I.M.

Both are beautiful but the earlier looks more "Frazetta". Gotta save up now. Lol
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #24
akitadad
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Make sure you keep your constructive criticism here, on this board. If you criticize ARH on their FACEBOOK page, they will block you. Don't mess with the statue Ayatollah !!!
akitadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #25
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

The old face looks way closer to the painting and isn't that what the line is supposed to be about. The eyes are too big on the face imo.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #26
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
anyone who wants a copy of the original head, i'll be glad to send you one.
How would this work? Do we show proof of purchase and you will ship us the head or do you mean a copy of the digital sculpt?
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
pdenham
Teen Titans

I understand why some people feel the earlier version gets the Frazetta feeling across better.
But for me, that face was always the weakest aspect to this piece...and NOT because it is (purposefully) sketchy and stylized.

To be be perfectly honest, neither of these gets the feeling across to me when I compare them with the Illos of this he did (and he did multiples of this subject/design).
On the original sculpt I thought the the overall form was OK, but the mouth was too sharp and thin, and with the eyes there is simply a vapidity there- blank. On the illo(s) I get a much sterner vibe. This is still a problem with the new sculpt and compounded by the fact that overall form misses now (we have a a sharper V face shape here compared to the originals wider U- the latter being closer to how Frazetta drew his women's heads).
But, in it's defense, what the new sculpt appears to have that the original lacked is a more defined plane in the brow/eye which yields a light/shadow value in that area that is present in the illos and was something I found to be lacking in the original under all lighting conditions.

Overall I'm not especially keen on either one of these and wish that just the brow/eye area had been tweaked and the lips made a little fuller and wider on the original. That would have done it for me.
Not as crazy about the sharper angle to the jaw or the almost smiling mouth.
And I agree with DeadGhostKnight that the eyes seem bigger/wider than they should be on both.
Otherwise...mines already paid for. Can't really get hung up too much on being critical with what I'm seeing until I see it in person and see how the new face works with the piece as a whole. Getting hung up on one little isolated element, which we all do whether we are artists or admirers, is a bad habit.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #28
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

The old face looks way closer to the painting and isn't that what the line is supposed to be about. The eyes are too big on the face imo.
I remember when they said this but this philosophy went out the window quickly. The death dealer is certainly not true to the painting in its added details and this is why I continue to think Frazetta's paintings are really better lent to the bronze treatment. My .02. Still its great to have something offered like this.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
statuehungry
A day without sunshine is like... night.

to tell you the truth, I find both faces bad, they made the lips far to cartoonish on the new face, and the old one looked way to much like the painting and not life like, had to pass on this, still think they should have used the painting as inspiration and made a sculpt more life like.
statuehungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #30
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
I remember when they said this but this philosophy went out the window quickly. The death dealer is certainly not true to the painting in its added details and this is why I continue to think Frazetta's paintings are really better lent to the bronze treatment. My .02. Still its great to have something offered like this.
Bringing Frazetta art to 3D form is a huge challenge and some pieces will have to have some artistic interpretation as the details are purposely not sharp especially the portraits like Huntress and Warrior.

I saw the proto for Huntress in person at NYCC and it is a stunning interpretation.

Another example of the challenge of bringing Frazetta art to statue form is Atlantis.

ARH absolutey nailed Atlantis but they did have to change the statue from the painting image due to an anatomy issue. They had to put the right foot on its toes instead of flat footed. You can't stand like that with the feet flat as depicted in the painting.

All in all I think they are doing the pieces justice.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote