Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #81
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Is this a magazine, squarebound format, or something like that? Also, from the names you mention, I'm assuming it has some reprinted Marvel material...
That's what I thought too, but I can't find a mention of "originally printed in..." I'm almost positive that this is all new stuff! If it was older material, I'm sure I would have recognized most or some of it. I've pretty much purchased every sword 'n sorcery comic released over the past 35 years.

It's a hard paper, bound comic like The Dark Knight or any premium book was/is.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #82
Babytoxie
Ghost

Cool, I'll grab it on the way home. Thanks!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #83
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Did Barry Smith do some new Conan, that would be cool if it was new material in savage sword.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #84
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Did Barry Smith do some new Conan, that would be cool if it was new material in savage sword.
I'll double check, but I'm pretty certain the work is new.
Babietoxie has the book now. He'll know for sure. BT?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #85
psycho shark
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

So the end of 2010 was bittersweet on the Barbarian comic front. Conan the Cimmerian ended its spectacular run much too early for me. Dark Horse filled the void with, so far & 1 issue, a lukewarm King Conan mini. That being sai, on Wednesday, DH dropped its $8.00 Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword (cover above) which while expensive, contains 5 Howard' Barbarian stories! With artists like Bradstreet, Conrad and Barry W. Smith, I was visually blown away. Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Dark Agnes (I believe, the real Red Sonja) & more. You may wanna pick this one up.

The excellent Boom Studios work on Cormac Mac Art in Hawks of Outreamer finished in late fall and is now out in trade. This was great!

Red Sonja is still rolling around and looking good. Finally the Dynamite version of Burroughs 1st Mars novel (Warlord of Mars) is now 3 great issues deep, moving kinda slow, but still quite good.

Also the DH Kull and Solomon Kane releases in 2010 were all top-notch. We're 2 issues deep into the new Kull, The Hate Witch and I'm diggin' it.
Thanks for posting that - skipped the LCS this week so I didn't know it hit. Will have to look out for it next week.

And I agree with you on Hawks of Outremer. That mini was a nice surprise, and definitely one of my favorite reads in 2010. Will have to get the trade on that one as well..

It's a good time for REH fans in the comic world!
psycho shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #86
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
I'll double check, but I'm pretty certain the work is new.
Babietoxie has the book now. He'll know for sure. BT?
The Worms of the Earth adaptation by Thomas, Windsor-Smith, and Conrad is from SSoC #16 -17, but this is the first time that Dark Horse has reprinted it. The rest appears to be new material. This is a nice book, but seriously: $8.00??? It should be $6 at the most. This book gets my "Sticker Shock of the Year" award for 2010, making the cut at the last minute... congrats guys.

Speaking of Tim Conrad, he penciled a really nice adaptation of Howard's Almuric that was reprinted in paperback by Dark Horse in 1991, long before they dove headfirst into REH's works. I'd think they would print a new edition at some point. I'm really looking forward to the Hawks of Outremer trade.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #87
Babytoxie
Ghost

In shops this week: John Carter of Mars - Weird Worlds

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Ma...3466059&sr=1-3

Update: This trade collects several backup stories from DC's Tarzan series of the '70s, and I am surprised at how bad Murphy Anderson's art looks. I can't tell if it's his actual pencils that are so bad, or if the art is just poorly reproduced. Whatever the case, this is some awful stuff. Let's just say that the cover is the artistic highlight of the book.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #88
protector2814
Phoenix

Sat down last night and really read the Robert Howard's Savage Sword that came out a week back. Man, the Roy Thomas/Barry Smith/Tim Conrad ' Bran Mak Morn, Last King of the Picts story is flat out worh the $8 I paid for the book. Now that I've read it, I do remember reading it in my teeens, but piecemeal and over a couple months. To read it in color from beginning to end (37 pages) was fantastic. Great, bloody barbarian fun w/ art that has never been topped i.m.o..

I also read the excellent article on Howard's ex-patriot, Afghan soldier El Borak by Mark Finn & learned a lot. I'll confess, I knew nothing about Borak and this article discussing the character & Howard's creative process w/ him was a great read. Next month's ish will see El Borak's 1st comic book intrepretation w/ art by my fave. cover artist of the Modern Age, Tim Bradstreet. Plenty of teaser images were shown in this book, and I've come to the conclussion that Bradstreet had to have used actor Thomas Jane as his model. El Borak will look just like the 2nd Punisher in film.

The Conan' 1st parter in chapt. 1 was only so-so. I hope it picks up.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #89
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
In shops this week: John Carter of Mars - Weird Worlds

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Ma...3466059&sr=1-3

Update: This trade collects several backup stories from DC's Tarzan series of the '70s, and I am surprised at how bad Murphy Anderson's art looks. I can't tell if it's his actual pencils that are so bad, or if the art is just poorly reproduced. Whatever the case, this is some awful stuff. Let's just say that the cover is the artistic highlight of the book.
Shame...but thanks for the heads-up. I purchased the 1st Jon Carter trade a few months back and really enjoyed it. I might just stop there. The new Dynamite version is satisfying.

When did Murphy Anderson draw Tarzan for DC? After Kubert? and why were these stories reprinted in a Carter/Weird Worlds Trade? I find this odd. Did Murphy draw Tarzan last for DC? Maybe right before Marvel picked up the rights.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #90
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Shame...but thanks for the heads-up. I purchased the 1st Jon Carter trade a few months back and really enjoyed it. I might just stop there. The new Dynamite version is satisfying.

When did Murphy Anderson draw Tarzan for DC? After Kubert? and why were these stories reprinted in a Carter/Weird Worlds Trade? I find this odd. Did Murphy draw Tarzan last for DC? Maybe right before Marvel picked up the rights.
Oh sorry, these are John Carter stories, not Tarzan. I'm not sure if Murphy Anderson ever drew Tarzan for DC, but he did draw some issues of Korak, Son of Tarzan. The John Carter stories in this trade were just backups in the regular Tarzan series by Joe Kubert. The other featured artist in the trade, Sal Amendola, penciled the John Carter stories that appeared in DC's Edgar Rice Burroughs anthology Weird Worlds.

Regarding the "first John Carter trade", are you referring to the Jesse Marsh hardcover? That looks pretty interesting.