Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > First4Figures / Gaming Heads

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #41
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Got the EX, the normal was only $20 less on BBTS, and that staff looks great. I really hope Gaming Heads gets to do a Lara based on the next game in the rebooted storyline. I did not care much for the SS one (although it was still nice).
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #42
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Is that so? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Gaming Heads' output, but this is a stunning statue and I'm seriously considering getting a reg, so I'd like some reassurance that production pieces are not going to be a travesty.
I've got two GH statues so far (Skyrim Dragon born, and Garrus) both, IMHO, have been on the money compared to the prototype! I don't own the first Lara Croft statue they produced, but the in hand pics were spot on with the prototype!

However, heres the thing; if you take a look at their prototype pieces, I think they're the actual first run production pieces, not some artist proof. The reason I think this is because, compare a GG or SS promotional statue to a GH one.....you'll notice a difference in quality. The GG / SS prototype looks very good, perfect lines, paint apps to die for, detailing up the wazoo....where as the GH prototype by comparison tends to look, well, just ok. The lines aren't perfect, the paint apps are acceptable, and the detailing is again, acceptable.

This might read as a negative against GH, and to be honest, if GG / SS could produce a like for like based on their prototype pieces, then GH would be out of business.....but here's the rub, we know GG / SS can't!!! So, given the output from GH, I can only conclude that they are accurately managing customer expectations, by showing us what we'll be actually getting - as opposed to what "could have been" like GG / SS do.

I could be wrong, but if not, I think this is how ALL companies should operate, it's honest, clever, and in the long run wins my business every time. It also highlights companies like Sideshow for the sham operators they actually are!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #43
Mqhuynh
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Sorry, if you buy from GH, do you need to pay upfront?
Mqhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #44
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mqhuynh View Post
Sorry, if you buy from GH, do you need to pay upfront?
no
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #45
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I've got two GH statues so far (Skyrim Dragon born, and Garrus) both, IMHO, have been on the money compared to the prototype! I don't own the first Lara Croft statue they produced, but the in hand pics were spot on with the prototype!

However, heres the thing; if you take a look at their prototype pieces, I think they're the actual first run production pieces, not some artist proof. The reason I think this is because, compare a GG or SS promotional statue to a GH one.....you'll notice a difference in quality. The GG / SS prototype looks very good, perfect lines, paint apps to die for, detailing up the wazoo....where as the GH prototype by comparison tends to look, well, just ok. The lines aren't perfect, the paint apps are acceptable, and the detailing is again, acceptable.

This might read as a negative against GH, and to be honest, if GG / SS could produce a like for like based on their prototype pieces, then GH would be out of business.....but here's the rub, we know GG / SS can't!!! So, given the output from GH, I can only conclude that they are accurately managing customer expectations, by showing us what we'll be actually getting - as opposed to what "could have been" like GG / SS do.

I could be wrong, but if not, I think this is how ALL companies should operate, it's honest, clever, and in the long run wins my business every time. It also highlights companies like Sideshow for the sham operators they actually are!
I'm not sure if this is how GH operates, though I think they aim for realistic paint jobs that can be reproduced not an advertisement piece. But some things for example their last croft was clearly a proto and not replicated as well on the factory level (though its not as bad as people say, but the eyes indeed are pretty bad).
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #46
Mqhuynh
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
no
Thank you.
Mqhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #47
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Is that so? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Gaming Heads' output, but this is a stunning statue and I'm seriously considering getting a reg, so I'd like some reassurance that production pieces are not going to be a travesty.
Got the last GH Lara and it's a really great piece, overall very close to the proto. Eyes were a little bloodshot but she did almost drown in the ocean...

fwiw don't get thrown off by the negative threads on her, they're bout 10 times worse than the Bruce thread and she was way closer to the proto than he was

gonna pass on this one, will wait and see on the next reboot Lara.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #48
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Looks really good.

Really like the texture of the face. Gives it great depth and better realism, as opposed to the completely smooth stuff you see form most places.
I would be absolutely blown away if the final in-hand piece had that level of detail. I have my doubts.

Having said that I like this statue a lot.
And I'm fast becoming a fan of Gaming Heads.

I have the Gaming Heads "Young Lara" (or whatever it's officially called). It's a great statue but the face is slightly off IMO which is annoying....

This being the older, original Croft, I like the face on it. I like the pose. I'll probably PO it and hope that the final version is as good as the prototype.
This Lara was always highly sexualised so I'd appreciate it if they worked on her derrière a bit more and took some of the gloss off her legs.

In the long run I'd like to see another young Lara from the new games.
I suspect they are working on one for the upcoming 'The Rise Of The Tomb Raider': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2OCJX5pQo
If they could nail the face this time round that would be amazing.
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #49
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

No statue so far has had her blazing both hand cannons at once which is actually a pretty iconic pose for her. I love it.

FYI
Recently myself and my cop buddy tried this with our 1911s, um yeah, your not gonna hit sh**! LOL Nearly impossible to aim with any accuracy. But I will be trying it again.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #50
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
No statue so far has had her blazing both hand cannons at once which is actually a pretty iconic pose for her. I love it.

FYI
Recently myself and my cop buddy tried this with our 1911s, um yeah, your not gonna hit sh**! LOL Nearly impossible to aim with any accuracy. But I will be trying it again.
You gotta think Matrix so you'll slow down and aim better
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote