nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Disney - Star Wars sales dropping

https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-sa...Q#leavecomment
Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

Well duh, you can only crap on something people love for so long before they give up on it.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Its not surprising given that Disney and Lucasfilm successfully burned their new "trilogy" to the ground with The Last Jedi. The vast majority of the fan base doesn't care about the new characters and the decline in toy sales bears that out.

If rumors are true and Lucas is stepping in to assist with Episode 9 than it is just further proof that Lucasfilm doesn't have a clue what they are doing with the franchise.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Hope they don't ruin Marvel too.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

They can't fix this trilogy. Honestly they should cancel it right now.
Back off a couple years and start fresh.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Nearly 1 in 5 less Star Wars toys being sold. One cannot help but wonder if Mary Sueing the franchise to death played a role in things. In the end, it seems men generally rally around male heroes more easily that women rally around female heroes. I think that's arguably the same in the real world as well.

Despite what some would love to believe, selling little girls on Star Wars or Marvel/DC action figures just isn't happening, not to any significant measure at least. We just got back from ToysRUs (in Montreal) today and we were surprised to see how so many of the cutesy girl heroes were in liquidation bins. I have to hand it to the girls though. When it comes to this, they do not seem anywhere near as impressionable as their male counterparts. They really seem far more inclined to buy what they like as opposed to falling victim to collectibles or completist mentality. If the item isn't playable or part of their fantasy, girls will pass in a huge way. It makes you wonder why so many girls resonate with Harley Quinn.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
built2shred
Phoenix

Star Wars has always been male based, pretty much in all the Star Wars movies the audience split has roughly been 70% male vs 30% female, I imagine merchandise is even more male based with probably 90% male vs 10% female...

With Kennedy in charge at LucaArts she's trying to make Star Wars more about females, problem is females don't care that much about Star Wars.... I know my 12 year old niece and her friends would rather go see some Disney Princess movie then the latest Star Wars movie... with all this PC crap they're trying to combine boys and girls into one segment, well that isn't working, in general girls like what they like and boys like what they like, trying to force them to like the same thing is just going to backfire... which Disney is finding out...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I think the SW thread covered it pretty well, in that they're not really making universally well liked characters like the original trilogy did perfectly.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I think the SW thread covered it pretty well, in that they're not really making universally well liked characters like the original trilogy did perfectly.
Yup. New characters are so boring and they ruined the original trilogy characters. Sad.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Star Wars has always been male based, pretty much in all the Star Wars movies the audience split has roughly been 70% male vs 30% female, I imagine merchandise is even more male based with probably 90% male vs 10% female...

With Kennedy in charge at LucaArts she's trying to make Star Wars more about females, problem is females don't care that much about Star Wars.... I know my 12 year old niece and her friends would rather go see some Disney Princess movie then the latest Star Wars movie... with all this PC crap they're trying to combine boys and girls into one segment, well that isn't working, in general girls like what they like and boys like what they like, trying to force them to like the same thing is just going to backfire... which Disney is finding out...
Ya know it would be really nice if some folks here could get through a thread without invoking their personal bias and unsubstantiated claims as the gospel and pure unadulterated fact. For the life of me, I can't find any specific data that corroborates your 70% / 30% breakdown of gender preferences and if you have the valid stats, please by all means share them. Yes, I'd say males likely dominate the Star Wars viewership ranks but not by some figure borne of anus extractus. And constantly citing a young female relative or some "clients" from a likely limited sphere of exposure does not lend itself to universal veracity or allow one to extrapolate it as widespread accurate polling.
As far as the toy sales thing goes, get real! Toy manufacturers have notoriously suppressed the availability of female action figures for decades. Even as recently for TFA a Hasbro internal directive was discovered purposely limiting Rey figures because they felt that Star Wars toys "were geared towards boys and boys don't like playing with female action figures." True or not, or an effective sales strategy, the action occurred.
It seems to me that posting extensively over a short period of time is more reflective of wanting to see one's name in print or of being "seen" rather than having anything of value to say.
For another perspective....
https://phdessay.com/star-wars-the-gender-swap/
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote