Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-02-2023, 06:38 AM   #1
Silas Loki
Jubilee

The future of "High End" Statue Collecting - 2023 onwards?

Over the last few years, we've seen a steady increase in statue pricing, across different scales and companies. We've seen increases in logistics costs - and on the other side, many of us have seen our incomes (or at least our spending power) become eroded through inflation and the initial effects of an incoming global recession.

No doubt this is having a major impact on many collectors with regards to what they buy, and from who they buy.....I've also noticed many high end statues lingering for much longer on the (virtual) shelves of collectibles retailers.

So, in your opinion, what do you think will happen over 2023? As seasoned collectors, and customers - what would you like these companies to do in order to keep your interest and willingness to buy their products?

While this is a thread that is guaranteed to be filled with opinion, maybe some of the companies that to look to StatueForum as a form of consumer pulse, will see some of the comments and suggestions - maybe, just maybe - it might make certain individuals consider their business strategy for 2023 onwards - who knows.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
Wurstos
Frackin!

Given the number of people I see on "mainstream collectors" forums thinking it's legit that a 1/4 statue is priced more than 2K$, I expect 2023 to be the worst year I've seen in the hobby. Probably won't buy anything unless Prime 1 lower the price for the Bloodborne Doll (like this is gonna happen...). I started collecting 5 years ago, maybe it was kind of a golden age back then? At least for the licences I'm interested in (like Dark Souls and the works of Gecco).

I have to admit, despite all I've said against non official statues, I sometimes look at what is done. Legit statues are now so much a scam to me that I'm not sure there are really more risks with non off. However I don't like oversexualized takes on characters so I don't have anything right now.
Wurstos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #3
Brandon
The X-Men

I hope we'll see some sort of correction this year, but I wouldn't bet on it. It seems most collectors will pay whatever these companies ask for. Some may whine and complain, but they usually end up paying all the same.

For me personally, I enjoy statue collecting, but after a certain price point it just makes no sense. The value just isn't there.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:41 AM   #4
Mister H
Green Goblin

Prices will go up and we will hear less and less communication from the producers. Pretty much what we have seen these past couple years. What I’m curious about is the smaller scale, budget friendly stuff. Diamond Select and their products come to mind. They seem to be getting better quality while keeping prices manageable. I have little skin in the game now so I’m pretty much going to sit back and observe but if a truly great 1/4 scale piece comes around I will consider it.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
Westhelle
Shadowhawk

Statue collecting becomes a gentleman‘s hobby once more.
Westhelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westhelle View Post
Statue collecting becomes a gentleman?s hobby once more.
Do you see that as good or bad? Do you think that might place additional limitations on the hobby as it becomes more elite? By that I mean, will we see even more limited licenses and I.P?s represented?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

It'll continue to become more and more focused around the Chinese market
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Only PCS and F4F cater to niche videogame licenses, and what's on offer at current are few and far in between. Going the unofficial route will mean 3D printing, assembling, and painting it myself. I've become more particular about specific characters I choose, and what style from what particular era.

I should also add, that action figures can always fill the void for a character when my choices are limited or it's simply character I like but don't want in a grander form. This applies more to cartoony/anime type subjects, though. Realistic figures must be Hot Toys or better in production quality.

In the current mess of a market, P1's anime trios stand out to me, in terms of value and fun factor, over a single realistic 1/4 character on an oversized base.

The big companies will not cater to the big spender exclusively, not yet anyway, for a number of reasons for which I have no clue. They will still find ways to sell to casual buyer. Sideshow will continue to downsize their inventory. They probably already know what they're doing.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #9
Blade3327
Nightwing

Wishful thinking, but I'd like to see more licenses pursued. Maybe offering a character customers don't see very often would convince them to pull the trigger when they otherwise wouldn't.

There are plenty of alternatives for Superman fans if the latest JND is too expensive. Same for Batman and even Predator now. But if a company comes out with a Schwarzenegger Conan for $2K, it'll be harder to pass up because there aren't many other options. And those that exist look dated and cost about the same on the aftermarket.

Same goes for 1/6 figures. InArt charges a lot for their figures, but so far they've chased the same properties as Hot Toys (with the exception of LOTR). I'll happily play ball with them if they start diversifying their licenses, making things we've never seen before.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #10
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I'm not sure how viable 3D printing will be for the future of figure collecting, but if it ever becomes something affordable then I don't see a point supporting a lot of these sellout companies pumping out soulless Batman statues or derivative main character releases. I could see people just spending money on independent unlicensed files for 3D sculpts that they would then take to a local 3D Printer to have it printed out, and then take somewhere else to have it painted. Why would I waste my time and effort with Prime 1 when I could actually just get characters I want made by others, especially without constant political correctness in the designs?

Edit: It would also remove shipping fees from the equation. Right now there seems to be a growing market of unlicensed statues made in the East. They range from relatively low quality to being better than a lot of the official stuff that is produced. Having to import them and pay the shipping fees can be brutal, but imagine if their storefronts were just for encrypted 3D model files that you downloaded and took to a local place to have printed for you. It would likely still be lots of money, but at least you would no longer have to think about shipping and packaging and all that stuff. Don't like the base? Just use a generic one instead. Could even lead to people being able to customize their statues to some degree. You'd be able to go into the files and change the colors or certain details if you would prefer.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote