Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #111
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
#208 out of how many?
TBD

This is my first pre order. I'm wondering if all the statues vary a little. The painter(s) having good days, ok days. In the past I've tended to buy from ebay, and get to see what i'm buying, rather than simply seeing a preview.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #112
bananafarmer
A day without sunshine is like... night.

lol that face... that looks shocking.
bananafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #113
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
TBD

This is my first pre order. I'm wondering if all the statues vary a little. The painter(s) having good days, ok days. In the past I've tended to buy from ebay, and get to see what i'm buying, rather than simply seeing a preview.
I really don't know. It'd be nice if someone else would post some different pics of this one soon, but from what I've seen on here, Gentle Giant collectors are very modest and quiet. They don't really like to post and show off what they just got, unlike collectors of Sideshow who spam the ---- out of the boards and groups with the same pictures. I had her on preorder through BBTS, but canceled, because lately, the GG Walking Dead pieces usually get discounted big-time a few months down the road from their release date through online retailers. I'm sure this one will be no exception, and I'll hopefully be able to pick her up at $100 cheaper.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #114
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Extreme close-ups like we're seeing here never do a human portrait justice I don't care what piece it is. This statue appears to look quite good from normal viewing distance. That being said the large doe eyes differ enough from the prototype that it throws the likeness off. To what degree is still TBD IMO as more pics will paint a clearer picture. We've all been down this road before though. Initial in hand pics are usually lacking and there are slight variances in every piece. An informed evaluation requires more examples so if you're on the fence with this one I'd advise giving it time rather than making a knee jerk reaction to what you're seeing right out of the gate.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #115
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Just cancelled my order. The eyebrows, the eyes, the face in general.
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #116
trav99ss
Fantastic Four

I am so disappointed... was really looking forward to this based on the prototype pics. I can't believe they messed up her face so badly (and that's not judging by the close up, but by the better pictures posted after that). How could her eyes change so much from proto to production? Went ahead and cancelled my pre-order as well. Need to see more pics before I commit any money.

What really sucks is that the rest of the statue looks so good. I praying that somehow others that show up in the wild will look better.
trav99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #117
Antimacy
Fantastic Four

I'm still waiting on even more pics before I pass judgement and even go through with my order. The sculpt is definitely there but the paint is not great. And to think we could have had this

Antimacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #118
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimacy View Post
I'm still waiting on even more pics before I pass judgement and even go through with my order. The sculpt is definitely there but the paint is not great. And to think we could have had this

Well I guess to also be fair, her lips are the same color as they are in this proto picture. Her eyes are the same size too, and her eyebrows are the same. I still think that first close-up has incredibly distorted the shape of her face along with her facial features and people aren't seeing what they wanna see just yet.

This is the original head sculpt before GG tweaked it to look like the picture I quoted above:

I actually like the tweaked version better, but I'm aware some others didn't.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #119
AlizAbef

I think the tweaked version has a better likeness to her in real life such as in this picture:
Old 03-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #120
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Paint just looks bad. Factory rushed this production. Sloppy paint and it looks like thr factory reused eyebrow decals from another statue.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote