Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Advice for agents/dealers who take on commissions:

Please stop asking for cash up-front just to be put on an artist's list, and then say it could be months before the artist might get around to starting on your project. It is a major turn off. It offers zero protection for clients and frankly, most fans are fed up with that ridiculous cash-grabbing policy. As we all know, lots can happen in an artist's life so it can easily take a year or longer before they get around to starting on a commission, if at all.

Suggestion: I'm fine with asking for a deposit up-front once the project is about to begin. That way, we can see a pencilled prelim or something shortly thereafter, and then if all goes well, we'll get to see the finished project soon after that. Asking for cash anytime prior to the start of a project is a surefire way to lose some clients, especially in today's climate. If there is one thing we all hate, it's having to chase down artists and dealers for paid-for work which hasn't even begun or has way surpassed projected starting-times or deadlines.

I contacted two dealers recently and both asked for cash up-front and said it could be months before the project begins. I very respectfully declined and literally took thousands of dollars off the table, which I had in hand now. Imagine if your carpenter or dentist asked for half the cost of a project months in advance without any set date as to when the project would begin. It's a bizarre way of doing business.

I implore to you all to seriously consider telling dealers and artists that you will only pay (something) once the project is set to begin. It will likely save you lots of headache and will probably guarantee you a quicker turnaround.

P.S. I realize there are artists and dealers with great reputations so there's likely little to be concerned about there. However, if you don't know the artist, your mileage can certainly vary. You're the one with the cash. You have some say here, folks.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
seggleston
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Three times I've been in a situation now where an artist just wasn't feeling up to working despite the fact that they had already been paid. The time frame was at the point where I couldn't even file a PayPal claim because it was past the 45 days (by several months, actually).

If it's an artist I've worked with in the past, I'll usually pay half up front. If it's one I haven't worked with, I usually ask for a preliminary sketch before paying anything. If they insist on half, I'll do so, but with the understanding that at 45 days I'd be filing a claim at PayPal and 30 days later I'd be requesting my refund through them.

I hate to be like that, but I'm out a few hundred dollars in one case and in another I ended up with a piece of junk art because the guy just didn't want to hear from me anymore.
seggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
jick
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I agree but would like to go to a bit more detail and single out some artists. I'd like to share my commission experiences here and one that never happened.

I dealt directly with Joe Rubinstein. He accepted less than 50% upfront and delivered within two months. Joe sent a bonus which are the Green Arrow pages and the Spider-Man pinup. All of these covered two separate occasions of dealings all of which turned out great.

I also dealt with Mike DeCarlo and he completed the commission in two weeks. For this one, I had him ink over my pencils. He took 50% upfront but his rate was very reasonable and time was fast. I actually just contributed in another thread in this forum with my experience and process with Mr. DeCarlo. Check it out here:

But there are also times when I deal with agents. I dealt with Frank McLaughlin but he did not have Paypal and I coursed it through his friend who took the agent role, Russell Rainbolt. He is also the one who sells Mr. McLaughlin's work on eBay. I paid 50% upfront and the commission was done in two weeks, and it was huge art. Here it is:

Then there is John Byrne. I dealt through his agent, Jim Warden. Even with an agent, Mr. Byrne did not take any money upfront. He took zero money and would not accept payment until he finished the commission. Mr. Warden on the other hand did not get anything also because he knew me from previous transactions. It was done in less than two months and came out to be a beauty. I only paid when it was ready to ship.

I also recently did my first commission. A collector saw my works posted in my CAF and here, so he asked me to do him a recreation. It was my first time to get paid so I told him I will not accept a single cent until I am done with the art and I have shown him a scan to his satisfaction. The end of the story - the art is with him now, I am fully paid and we are both happy. I completed the art in less than 3 days. Here it is - Captain America 12 cover recreation.

Finally, there is one artist who I have been trying to get a commission from through his agent - whom I have transacted with a few times in the past for original art. It would have been one of my "birthday commissions" which is to get the artist to recreate or reimage a cover to an issue he was a part of cover dated on my birthdate or October 1977. Well, the agent asked for 100% full payment and quoted me a longer lead time than I am accustomed to, plus the price was quite steep - approaching John Byrne levels. I just could not get myself to close the deal.

So the moral of the story: don't pay 100% upfront and if that is what the artist or agent wants - then don't deal with them or run the risk of never getting your art.
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I agree completely. My cash has been pulled off the table in instances like the one you mentioned RS. As much as I may want an artist to draw something for me, I will not plunk down my hard earned money with an undetermined future start date for the project. Many reps will put you on a list without money taken and I am more than willing to do that as I am not out anything. The best policy I have seen is one that asks for money as a piece starts (or after a quick prelim) and then asks for the remainder as the piece is completed.

I am curious if any reps on this forum ask for money without any set timeline for the commission. If so, I would be interested to hear the logic behind this policy. Maybe I am missing something in the equation.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I've never commissioned a piece yet but the whole pay up front thing was always insane to me. There are few other businesses that say pay everything up front and wait months if not years for an relatively unknown product. If I did a commission, I would tell the artist/agent/dealer that I would give them payments in 25% increments. If they didn't accept it I would walk away. Printed artwork is more important to me anyway.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

agreed. unfortunately a few bad experiences with cash upfront has made me weary of any up and coming artists that aren't repped by someone i trust as well big name artists that ask for cash up front.

even at cons, i've learned its best to pay the artist upon completion of the art.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Great post RS
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
puntapret
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Some agents said that this is to avoid the artists having a long list of squatters and filters out people who are not serious, so that artist can plan out his schedules
puntapret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Frank
Death is hereditary.

I with you RS. I've stopped pre paying for commissions because of the wait, it's just no fun with all the back and forth. And if it takes too long, it makes the piece jaded, imo.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

ever since the whole Jason Craig incident, I haven't picked up a single commission. Just turned right off. Still made a few inquiries here and there but nothing came out of it as of yet. Now turning to prints from reputable sites for my art fix and I'm content. The commission game just isn't worth the hassle anymore IMO unless you deal with someone you've had prior experience with
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote