Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

CAF Etiquette: Commenting on your own pieces

Given that the front page now ranks pages by comments, curious what the view was on commenting on your own pieces. Looking at some of the pieces posted, i see some are making the front page largely due to people commenting/responding on their own pieces.

I know i have been guilty of the occassional response to a question but haven't done the multiples.

I'm thinking about doing an experiment to see what the hit count looks like from a most-self commented piece vs a regular posting.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
seggleston
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm guilty of this. I'll use the excuse that I'm new, but I'll definitely try to keep it at a minimum. Didn't realize it was comments that kept the thread ranked higher until yesterday.
seggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

think if someone makes an observation about the piece over and above "nice piece" its nice to respond
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
jick
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

If it's "nice piece" I don't think it merits a response.

If someone makes a nice, well thought-out comment and really took time to make it, it deserves a response.

But for pieces that have been uploaded long ago (which is past the 24 hour period), and someone posts a "late comment", I do respond and thank the person because I want to acknowledge him and thank him for stumbling upon that posted art on his own searching.

During my early days, I too have been guilty to posting "thanks" to "nice piece" but have been more prudent now. I guess that is part of growing pains - when you are so new you get so enthusiastic about your original art.
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I don't have to worry about this. Nobody likes Invincible, I don't get comments.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I email someone a note thanking them for a nice commnt rather than commenting on my own piece. I think some folks reply to their own pieces to get their art in the most commented section on caf. Dooeesn't bother me, but i do find it curious.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

If someone feels the need to respond to comments or post comments in an attempt to get a piece of their art onto the most commented list or any other list, that person has some serious issues to work through
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I think I might have run the count up a little on an earlier piece of two when I first joined CAF. It wasn’t to get my piece on the front page as I was not even aware of the feature until some time after I had been on CAF. I think I was in SF mode and posted responses in a manner similar to a forum. Since learning that some people get their feathers a little ruffled (don’t think anyone here falls into that category) for running up comments, I slowed down. I don’t see anything wrong with responding to comments if they are more than a “nice” and actually like to see the interactions with collectors if they post something thoughtful. CAF doesn’t post any rules or guidelines for comments so as far as I am concerned it is fair game to post what you want. I have actually often wondered why all the CAFers post elsewhere about art – seems like CAF would have a good opportunity for an active forum if they stood one up.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
If someone feels the need to respond to comments or post comments in an attempt to get a piece of their art onto the most commented list or any other list, that person has some serious issues to work through

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
we're collecting artwork of folks wearing underwear on the outside of their clothes. I'd say we all have "issues."
aric is offline   Reply With Quote