Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Marvel is a bunch of dumb asses. They realize that if DC goes under, we all go under.

I dont think Marvel cares about the comic industry anymore. I think their eye is on Hollywood and electronic media and trying to develop new ways to showcase their characters in these ways. Print media is slowly dying, and they could care less whether DC's death is now or later. They themselves will be out of the comic book printing business in the next ten years, IMHO
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Marvel and DC over at Sideshow... I sure hope the inter-company-dramas don't spread there.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

The only way i could see retailers doing this is if Marvel made a special comic, with a good story that only gets printed how ever many retailers send in their covers.

Example is if 600 retailers with a combined effort send in enough covers for 300 books to be made and thats it. Never to be reprinted, and only 300 books are in existence. Then and only then you would see retailers destroying books left and right till it became a downfall for them.

but this would never work cause Marvel would make a run of 10000 books and have them CGCed for cons etc.. and just create a mass backlash.

They need to make things collectible again to get people wanting to do this.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Underdog07
Hercules

The below qoutes are possibly the dumbest thing I have read in awhile. Apparently coverless comics are unreadable.

Make no mistake, this is perfectly legal. The comic-shop proprietors would be destroying their own property, and it is their right so to do. However, this seems little different than someone buying books to burn them.

They would destroy a work of literature with the express intention of preventing another person from reading it. Anyone who does this is engaging in censorship, and Marvel Comics is agent provocateur.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

It's not about Being a DC Drone, i was just shocked at the Cola-Wars-ish behaviour.. in the comic industry.. when we have captain america advertisements on the backs of most of the DC comics.. and Green lantern Got Milk ads on the Marvel ones... i thought the Sniping and cribbing was just what they did.. this looked very underhanded.. and uncool.. well.. it felt more ultimate universe than 616 ..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
ratchet
Mandarin

It's a low class move by Marvel - if thet were really looking to do something for the retailers why not offer the variant for issues of their OWN comics sitting on the shelves
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

how is it underhanded? Marvel just came out and offered the deal. They are not forcing anyone to do it, it's the LCS choice. If no one does it, Marvel just gets stuck with their own special cover comic.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
It's a low class move by Marvel - if thet were really looking to do something for the retailers why not offer the variant for issues of their OWN comics sitting on the shelves
I think DC should make the same announcement for Fear Itself books. Fair is fair.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I think DC should make the same announcement for Fear Itself books. Fair is fair.
I'm not a big believer in an eye for an eye kind of treatment - especially here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
how is it underhanded? Marvel just came out and offered the deal. They are not forcing anyone to do it, it's the LCS choice. If no one does it, Marvel just gets stuck with their own special cover comic.
It's underhanded because Marvel is doing it for their competitor's books - instead of their own. It's a douchey move - because what if a book starts to gain some steam as a really good read - and some potential customers come in looking for that #1 - but the LCS no longer has it because it returned the book for a silly variant. Now that customer has to look a little harder to get that issue - or forget about it - most likely the latter will happen.

This is what Marvel is trying to do with these stunts - taking DC books off the shelves and stop new potential readers for DC. It's low class no matter how you slice it.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #20
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's so sad to see any hubbub being made about a variant cover. I thought we were past the variant cover BS since the mid 90s. It's disappointing to see them making a splash again.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote