Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
DarkKnight85
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Question on fixing broken statues

Ok so I had a freak accident with one of my 1/5 statues the other day, and my damn air purifier fell into my bottom shelf of one of my bestas. It unfortunately snapped off both arms of my Slyvanas Warcraft statue.

I've only had one other break in the past and I used E6000 glue from Michael's to glue on a broken tooth. I never asked before, but does anyone else know if this generally is a good substance to use to fix repairs like this or is there another product that is generally favorable among this hobby?

I'm still pretty pissed this happened, but I guess in the end it could have happened to other more expensive statues that I own. If I have to, I may buy the statue again, but if possible I def want to try and repair it. It looks like when I set the arms in place, it doesn't look that noticeable, so I think if the glue holds it may work alright.
DarkKnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
drivingdutchman
Fantastic Four

Thought sideshow recommends zap a gap superglue.
drivingdutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I use Loctite that comes with a brush. Haven't had any issues but it depends on if its a clean or messy break. If it's messy Loctite, model filler (modelers spackle) and little Krylon touchup pains with a toothpick/small fine brush tip. Works like a charm. Hardest part is blending the paint to match the statue.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
DarkKnight85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
I use Loctite that comes with a brush. Haven't had any issues but it depends on if its a clean or messy break. If it's messy Loctite, model filler (modelers spackle) and little Krylon touchup pains with a toothpick/small fine brush tip. Works like a charm. Hardest part is blending the paint to match the statue.
What about if it's a clean break? Do you still recommend Loctite?

I mean, when the put the two pieces close together they seem to fit in rather well, so I think it's more of a clean/almost leveled break.

The other guy above said zap a gap. I've done more research and both of these names have come up but I don't know which one to buy. Also it's a 1/5 statue and it's no like the circumference of the arm is crazy, but I am hoping the glue will always hold the weight of the arm.

**I'm also hearing about epoxy as well, but that one I know even less about. Also I'm pretty sure the statue is made of resin. I believe on the the base of blizzard statues is made of polystone.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I use Loctite on mine. Depending on damage...a little dab will do ya.

Little dabs, cause too much and it pushes out and can whiten.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #6
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

You can use Loctite on clean breaks. Get a bottle of the liquid super glue with the brush. Brush a little on both broken parts and fit them together. Apply some safe pressure and hold for at least 2-3 minutes uninterrupted. Less is more. You can also use a can of air afterwards for good measure around the area.

I’ve repaired my Sylvannas where her foot peg goes in. There is a protruding stone on the base that got caught as it went into the hole and snapped. You’d never know it broke.

Never used epoxy so I can’t help you there.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #7
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

For small parts I used CA aka superglue. For larger parts, I pin the parts using a nail or brass rod and 5 minute epoxy. Small parts might require pinning depending on where the break is. I have used a pinvise with tiny drill bits to tap holes and used a fine brass wire/rod to pin for strength.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

fortunately (knocking on alot of wood) I have only had small breaks and I only ever used superglue. It did the trick.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
DarkKnight85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
You can use Loctite on clean breaks. Get a bottle of the liquid super glue with the brush. Brush a little on both broken parts and fit them together. Apply some safe pressure and hold for at least 2-3 minutes uninterrupted. Less is more. You can also use a can of air afterwards for good measure around the area.

I’ve repaired my Sylvannas where her foot peg goes in. There is a protruding stone on the base that got caught as it went into the hole and snapped. You’d never know it broke.

Never used epoxy so I can’t help you there.

Question for you. So I finally had some time to play around with this. I tried first on a broken leg of a spider attachment for my Venom statue that sideshow is replacing anyways, so I figured it was better to practice on that first before Sylvanas.

So I noticed it took a damn long time for the bond to finally set in. I brushed on the glue onto both parts, but I'll be honest the damn thing kept sliding off where I was setting it in. So I guess my question is, if you make the slightest twist with your hand does it basically ruin the bond it is trying to make?

I think what happened was that even though I tried to use it sparingly, I still used too much. Once the glue seeped out of the cracks around the break, I couldn't tell if it was set in correctly anymore so I kept trying to apply pressure but also line it up better. I tried leaving it on the table after a while but at first it didn't hold and it fell off. (That was like after 5-10 min of pressure.) So I put more glue in and repeated the process. Needless to say, the second time worked better. I also wedged a pen underneath the leg on the table to keep the part in place. Now, like six hours later it clearly has a pretty strong bond.

I was just wondering if the whole thing took so long because I used too much glue? Even though my description sounded terrible it actually came out alright. But there def is a little excess glue around the seem where the two parts went together.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Not sure why it took so long...could be too much glue, but I think trying to line it up instead of holding it in place is a better bet. It's also possible there wasn't enough surface wear for the glue to 'grab' onto. The break could've been too smooth. That might explain why it worked better the second time after the glue dried and added some texture to the surfaces. Taking some sandpaper and running it over the surface would give the glue something to set into.

As for the topic...I do the same as Jedi Don...super glue for small fixes and 2-part epoxy for the bigger/more important stuff. ...brass rod if needed.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote